Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Ash

Arcane
FF9 is a classic game. You should play it bro.

JDR13

Arcane
FF9 is a classic game. You should play it bro.
CodexFanboys_zpstdoidju7.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
My original playthrough was enough for me, but thanks. If it didn't blow me away 20 years ago it's unlikely to now.

I don't play many JRPGs nowadays. FF7 Remake will most likely be the next one I try.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Seems FF VII R is so pointless people in the release thread start arguing about literally any other game in the series rather than talk about the nonentity that it is.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
FFIX is an absolute bore of a game. Yes, charming, great visuals, the old-school feeling... problem is that the "feeling" is the only thing it offers. Ultra-slow combat, shit progression system, you never have control of your party except in late game, the story fizzles out halfway there... I've played it 3 times and every time I've struggled to finish it.

The real blackpill: FFVII was the last good numbered FF. I'd go as far as saying that most 32bit titles from Square were overrated as hell: FF8 & 9, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve... the 16bit era was the real golden age.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright I did actually misread your post, my bad.

I actually agree that the story does become quite generic in the end what with the 'Now you fight death itself!'.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
What is the point of a remake. Honest question

If I was in charge? Fix mistakes from the original game like the shitty translation. Make things better that were shitty due to the technical limitations like Yuffie and Vincent being absent from the ending cutscenes due to space limitations. Make other things better like minor story changes to make the original more deeply woven with the expanded story from Crisis Core and Before Crisis. Rebalance the ultimate weapons for each character because some were OP and some were shit. Rebalance some of the limit breaks for the same reason. Make the game a little harder, nerf some materia combinations, and add some new materia to keep things fresh. There are a lot of things that could be done to make the game a lot better. Obviously we all want better graphics too because the original's graphics have aged like warm milk just like all of the visuals on the psx. Even if they kept the original camera angles and just remade the backgrounds with vector art it would be a huge improvement. They didn't have to go balls to the wall and spend a ton of money making it entirely 3rd person 3d (although that is preferable if economical).

Personally I also think that random encounters are outdated and going forward turn based JRPGs should have their enemies on the field like DQXI.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I actually agree that the story does become quite generic in the end what with the 'Now you fight death itself!'.

Yeah, that moment is a bit of a bad choice trying to pay homage to (FFIII and IV). The problem is you can't really make it your own since its basically just one line of design.

- Throw in random superevil which nebolusly is behind everything for nebolus reasons as last last boss.

You can eliminate that sequence and the story works just as well though.

With Vivi still dying in a few weeks/months as well of course. :(

Ninjerk

Arcane

I forgot about that ridiculous asspull.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
FF9 wasn't so much a return to form as a faceplanted attempt at such. It was basically this in video game form:

VAeA885.jpg

The artstyle is retarded bobble heads, and please tell me more about how this abomination was woven into the intricate story:

vpOzdyk.png

Duraframe300

Arcane
The artstyle is retarded bobble heads, and please tell me more about how this abomination was woven into the intricate story:

Quina wasn't (Also optional). Token random (I actually think she works better if you don't use her and she just randomly pops up during the story). So wasn't Amarant which was basically just some bloke that Zidane tricked back in the day. Eiko technically is, but compared to everyone else she joins way too late and nothing is really done with her.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Steye-leiner was controversial when the game came out, as I recall, and I always hated the chef-thing (and her frog-catching minigame).

Unwanted

†††

Patron
They took Cait Sith-ism to a next level in FFIX. Dagger was the only non-circus freak in the whole cast. Steiner was the comic relief. Freya despite being furshit was OK, but suffered from the Quistis syndrome (forgotten after the first disc). Really unlikable cast, "memorable" in all the wrong ways.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Steye-leiner was controversial when the game came out, as I recall, and I always hated the chef-thing (and her frog-catching minigame).

Minigames are a low point of FFIX, only beaten by X's because of what the worst ones there gate. I did enjoy the theatrical battle at the beginning (even though it was just nicely presented QTE) and.... yeah thats it. Jump Roppin and that fuckin Hypo Race are an abomination. Tetra Master was ok, but felt like an absolute downgrade after Triple Triad.

Matticus

Educated
Chrono Cross had some appealing things about it but I thought the combat was too slow and the sheer number of characters was an interesting idea that unfortunately resulted in lots of breadth and little depth. In terms of sum of its parts, Chrono Trigger has to be the vastly superior game, right?

FFIX has some of the best looking backgrounds in any FF in my opinion and the return to the more high fantasy setting (at least for an FF game) should be a winning combo. It was one of the rare FF games I tried playing. But I couldn't get into it, probably because of the furry cartoon-child-proportioned characters to be honest.

The last FF game I played and finished was VII when I was in junior high, and square finally got around to exploiting that weakness. FFVII remake is ultimately a shit game that disgusts me now (like most things), but I liked some things about it while I was playing it.

JDR13

Arcane
Chrono Cross had some appealing things about it but I thought the combat was too slow and the sheer number of characters was an interesting idea that unfortunately resulted in lots of breadth and little depth. In terms of sum of its parts, Chrono Trigger has to be the vastly superior game, right?

That pretty much describes Chrono Cross pefectly. The combat was boring as hell, and most of the characters I met had as much depth as a puddle.

I've never been able to make it more than about 1/3 through the game before quitting, but I've finished Chrono Trigger several times. The only thing I remember liking was some of the BGM tracks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom