Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you want a tip how to make the early game much easier? I am a bit jealous, I like my games hard, but I discovered some broken techniques way too early and went smooth sailing too much.
Nah, I'll keep playing the Roguey-way unless I truly hit a brick wall.

Ash

Arcane
Implying that FFVII wasn't the gayest FF ever made even before the remaster. You can get Cloud gangbanged by a horde of muscly gym bros in the original honey bee inn. They tuned to homsexuality DOWN not up.

Don't be stupid. That scene was an optional easter egg and very difficult to stumble into, nothing was SEEN, only implied, and lastly it's all but 10 seconds.
They take subtle 10 second jokes or scenes from the original and dial it up to eleven-thousand in this game. e.g Jessie. Originally innocent flirting conveyed in one single comment, to thirsty whore who never shuts up.
they've zero tact, zero storytelling ability, zero original ideas of their own, and zero entertainer's talent. the only good aspects of this "remake" are the elements that belong to the original game, now with a pile of shit blended in.

This "Remake" is a joke. Only retards and thirsty virgin neckbeard omegadweebs seriously enjoy it. It's basically a waifu simulator made by people that have never had a girlfriend in their life, for people that have never had a girlfriend in their life. I just wish they'd use some other platform for their pathetic needs, like Hentai, and not deflower a classic.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Optional easter egg? Without a guide I saw that one basically every playthrough out of three; 1 as a child, a later replay as a teen, and once watching a friend play it.
And the original has the awkward 'date' with B.

I mean, I agree the remake is silly, but it has some decent aesthetics here and there and some of the remixes are good enough. Certainly not to be preferred to the original by a long stretch, but it's not the worst thing I have ever seen. Biggest problem of the remakes are 1) weird added mechanics that pretend to add depth, but do not really 2) odd pacing 3) sometimes too much dialogue 4) always locked into a party 5) weird need to dial things up to 11 6) as a whole sort of forgettable because nothing really stands out 7) too long dungeons to stretch out the somewhat thin material of the game 8) some reuse of assets/dungeons

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
e.g Jessie. Originally innocent flirting conveyed in one single comment, to thirsty whore who never shuts up.

It was a bit more than a single comment and as someone who thought Jessie was best girl in the original the new Jessie is one of the few things I like about the remake

Ash

Arcane
Optional easter egg? Without a guide I saw that one basically every playthrough out of three; 1 as a child, a later replay as a teen, and once watching a friend play it.

Yeah but you're a fag so therefore have a natural tendency to end up down that path of degeneracy. :smug:

In my numerous playthroughs I've never stumbled upon that scene, and I never remember the correct order for any particular outcome in that event. I've only checked it out on youtube out of...game design/FF curiosity. Totally not gay intent I swear.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think you just naturally drift into it if you're trying to be completionist and do everything 'perfectly'.

I did use a guide for the chocobo breeding though, even as a kid.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Implying that FFVII wasn't the gayest FF ever made even before the remaster. You can get Cloud gangbanged by a horde of muscly gym bros in the original honey bee inn. They tuned to homsexuality DOWN not up.

Don't be stupid. That scene was an optional easter egg and very difficult to stumble into, nothing was SEEN, only implied, and lastly it's all but 10 seconds.
They take subtle 10 second jokes or scenes from the original and dial it up to eleven-thousand in this game. e.g Jessie. Originally innocent flirting conveyed in one single comment, to thirsty whore who never shuts up.
they've zero tact, zero storytelling ability, zero original ideas of their own, and zero entertainer's talent. the only good aspects of this "remake" are the elements that belong to the original game, now with a pile of shit blended in.

This "Remake" is a joke. Only retards and thirsty virgin neckbeard omegadweebs seriously enjoy it. It's basically a waifu simulator made by people that have never had a girlfriend in their life, for people that have never had a girlfriend in their life. I just wish they'd use some other platform for their pathetic needs, like Hentai, and not deflower a classic.

I'll take opinions from people who played FFVII as their first FF for 500 Alex. Jesus christ FFVII is not a masterpiece, far from it.
The Remake has better combat and character development easily, since FFVII vanilla can be completed by a lobotomised monkey and the materia system turns every character into the same meaningless materia base.
For people who value GAMEPLAY and RPG ELEMENTS in their games FFVII Re is a valid game. And if it's too homosexual for you to enjoy, perhaps there is something to that.
Next thing you will talk about the gay urges that every man has and needs to surpress like some of the other closet homosexual homophobes here.

Ash

Arcane
and the materia system turns every character into the same meaningless materia base

Oh no, a horrible crime!

Classless characters result in better gameplay you cuck, resulting in more character building freedom. It's the same in FF5 (interchangable job system - every character can be exactly the same if you want, and by the end every character basically is the same no matter what path you take if grind enough, and lastly there being only four characters means only four builds total) and FF8 (interchangable GFs and magic). And to a slightly lesser extent FF6 (Espers). Each character still has diversity in weapons (and materia slot linkage granted, which factors into build choices), base stats, limit breaks, and some armor and accessories are unique to gender.
With the true freedom that the materia system provides, characters are only limited by how YOU define them. sure it typically just means three main builds that you switch out. And? those three builds have more depth and player definition/control than perhaps in any other FF. You're basically saying the more class types the better. What does that make single-character RPGs like say Fallout, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, or Deus Ex, complete shit since you're only allowed one class/build?

Challenge was easy, granted. Then simply play the Hardtype mod to fix it instead of playing this Nomura Square Enix trash you dumbass.

Oh yes FF7R surely is valid for gameplayfags like me when it adds stupid fluff like grindy sidequests (are you an MMO player?), stretches out short segments from the original with endless walking through copy-paste tunnels, and is barely any more challenging than the original anyway.

Gameplay, like pressing triangle to give Aeris a high five!

Calm down omega virgin turbodweeb fanboy. don't disguise your sexual degeneracy behind the guise of supposedly superior gameplay. What a joke. Just play the original with the hardtype mod, the gameplay really shines without any of the endless stupid fluff or degeneracy of the remake.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Completed it. It was fun throughout, though the boss gauntlet at the end was exhausting. Great music and nostalgia-bait moments. Loved fighting this little bastard:
v7EOOQ5.jpg

Glad they made up for the lack of Yuffie with a similar type of character.
Ez50OBM.jpg

Given the Tifa shots I posted earlier, here are some waifu shots of Aerith for those who prefer more-feminine women with longer faces
65khXVB.jpg

oVZjY1Y.jpg

PI0ePhI.jpg

It was quite the bold choice to make a remake where knowledge of the original is required to make sense of everything that isn't explained. Had I not played it over 20 years ago, I'd have no idea what the deal with this Sephiroth guy is (or these robed guys) other than that he allegedly wants to destroy the world and has an unexplained grudge with the main character. I found the Destiny Ghosts more amusing than annoying, though I guess they're not going to have a presence going forward.

Gets an unreserved recommendation from me for whenever it's out on PC. I put it up there with Chrono Trigger as one of the finest jrpgs I've played. In conclusion,
mpQCaJb.jpg

The only FF game I've played is III (or VI as I understand it?). I think I thought it was ok (it was almost 30 years ago), but I don't think I got all that far because the frequent cutscenes started to annoy me. FFVII always looked stupid as hell and I was a Nintendo fanboy in the 90s so I never played it, but now this remake is on GamePass and I'm starved for media to consume. Should I play this? Roguey you make it sound like this is pure nostalgia-bait and not meant for someone who didn't play the original. Are you being pithy or genuine?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Should I play this? Roguey you make it sound like this is pure nostalgia-bait and not meant for someone who didn't play the original. Are you being pithy or genuine?

The game itself is fun. You're likely to be confused by some aspects of the story, but if you not concerned by that, give it a spin. I'd say it's worth playing for the combat alone.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Every time I see someone say this game is good I die a little more inside. I will never be ok with them taking a wonderful turn based game and turning it into a shitty action game nor will I be forgiving of the time ghost bullshit they pulled with the story. Fuck this gay earth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I will never be ok with them taking a wonderful turn based game and turning it into a shitty action game

It is a very well-done action-RPG. A bit disappointed to see that the other action-oriented FFs don't compare from my browsing.

nor will I be forgiving of the time ghost bullshit they pulled with the story.

:lol: The time ghosts represent you and people who wanted a straightforward remake with no big alterations to the plot. Good news, they're gone, bad news, the remake will be even less straightforward now.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It is a very well-done action-RPG. A bit disappointed to see that the other action-oriented FFs don't compare from my browsing.

I played a bit of the demo and I thought the combat was horrible. It just felt clunky to me and fighting huge shit like the first boss was a pain in the ass because I had to be right up in it's face to melee, which made it too hard to watch for the tail. It just wasn't fun or satisfying to me compared to a good action RPG like DMC, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, or pretty much any other action jrpg I can name off the top of my head. It's not at all similar to FFXV, but just as bad as far as the combat goes. Every FF game since FF10 has had garbage combat. I just want to control all my party members with some turn based goodness and modern animations and graphics.

nor will I be forgiving of the time ghost bullshit they pulled with the story.

:lol: The time ghosts represent you and people who wanted a straightforward remake with no big alterations to the plot. Good news, they're gone, bad news, the remake will be even less straightforward now.

Yes, it was an insulting slap in the face to the fans and Nomura should be crucified or otherwise slowly tortured to death for it. Removing them doesn't make it any better because they already fucked up and as you said the story will be even less straightforward now. Everything about this remake is unforgivable except for the new Jessie. I like the new Jessie.

JDR13

Arcane
Completed it. It was fun throughout, though the boss gauntlet at the end was exhausting. Great music and nostalgia-bait moments. Loved fighting this little bastard:
v7EOOQ5.jpg

I see they changed some of the monster's names.

It was quite the bold choice to make a remake where knowledge of the original is required to make sense of everything that isn't explained. Had I not played it over 20 years ago, I'd have no idea what the deal with this Sephiroth guy is (or these robed guys) other than that he allegedly wants to destroy the world and has an unexplained grudge with the main character.

It's not as if the original made much sense. There was some pretty vague shit mixed in there.

HansDampf

Arcane
v7EOOQ5.jpg
Normally a late-game enemy you encounter in the final dungeon.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I will never be ok with them taking a wonderful turn based game and turning it into a shitty action game

I wouldn't call FF7 vanilla combat very deep. The skill is all in the setup, the battles are just fight-heal-fight-heal. It's an extremely simplistic system designed to showcase the cinematic graphical style and animations (from the developer's own words). FF7 remake does that too while adding actual in-combat strategy and tactics to the mix, while still maintaining the setup requirements (since lacking proper materia can make battles nigh unwinnable).

One of the harder things for RPG players to accept is that most turn based combat isn't out of desire but necessity. PS1 couldn't handle fancy combat in real time with all the bells and whistles like modern hardware can push out.

Tigranes

Arcane

I wouldn't call FF7 vanilla combat very deep. The skill is all in the setup, the battles are just fight-heal-fight-heal. It's an extremely simplistic system designed to showcase the cinematic graphical style and animations (from the developer's own words). FF7 remake does that too while adding actual in-combat strategy and tactics to the mix, while still maintaining the setup requirements (since lacking proper materia can make battles nigh unwinnable).

One of the harder things for RPG players to accept is that most turn based combat isn't out of desire but necessity. PS1 couldn't handle fancy combat in real time with all the bells and whistles like modern hardware can push out.

In conclusion: God bless technical limitations.

Adon

Arcane
This isn’t me making a judgement call as to whether or not the combat is better in the original game, but I’ve never understood people’s over reliance on technical limitations as an argument for moving away from turn-based gameplay mechanics as if they had no merit. That being said, old FF games are as simple as it gets and I also don’t understand people lamenting the loss of turn-based combat as if it was this deep and intricate system that’s automatically better than some “dumb” action game which FF7R is anything but.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
This isn’t me making a judgement call as to whether or not the combat is better in the original game, but I’ve never understood people’s over reliance on technical limitations as an argument for moving away from turn-based gameplay mechanics as if they had no merit

I've never said one was better than the other, nor am I saying that current hardware makes turn-based obsolete. Perish the thought.

Rather I'm pointing out that developers are the ones wishing they could have made a real-time game, and settling for turn based due to limitations. That was actually the case for FF10, which was supposed to be a real-time seamless open-world MMO style combat system, but they couldn't get that working in time so they left it for FF12.

So take it up with devs; don't attack the messenger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom