Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Psquit

Arcane
Dirge of Cerberus is now canon? wow, what a shit show.

Thorakitai

Learned
> Why would you be upset about the new game potentially going into new and unexpected directions, possibly surprising you at every turn?

The original FFVII still exists and the modern ports even fixed some critical bugs. Just play that if you want the authentic, original experience.

Is it too hard to understand the desire to want a straight remake of FVII? All I want is to see the epic and memorable scenes in glorious HD so that the new generation can see why FF7 is so popular in the first place.

Not this Kingdom Hearts bullshit.

Duraframe300

Arcane
>
Is it too hard to understand the desire to want a straight remake of FVII? All I want is to see the epic and memorable scenes in glorious HD so that the new generation can see why FF7 is so popular in the first place.

Not this Kingdom Hearts bullshit.

Exactly.

More than that even. Of all Final Fantasy's FF7 has aged the worst graphically/presentation wise. With the possible exception of 3 (if you don't like DS graphics), every FF has a good looking version, even if you need an Emulator. FF 1-4 got decent looking 2D remakes. 5-6 still look good. 8+9 do too, especially with mods. 10+ no question.

Meanwhile 7 suffered from being the first game on the PS and the switch of development from N64 to PS1. There are tons of clashing styles in that game, most obvious by the switch between chibi gameplay models to realistic battle models. Not to mention the FMV's being downright shizo at times where you have the chibi model used in one cutscene and the realistic one in the next. Meanwhile FF 8-9 handle those transitions smoothly and to a degree of quality not seen in any other game at the time.

Now nostalgia will make it up for a lot of people, but honestly it looks more and more shit the years gone bye. FF7 is deserving of a straight up remaster/remake whatever you wanna call it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Now nostalgia will make it up for a lot of people, but honestly it looks more and more shit the years gone bye.
Even at the time, I thought Final Fantasy VII was the first ugly FF game, with the premature switch to 3D graphics on a new system causing Squaresoft horrendous difficulties in everything except the pre-rendered backgrounds. Especially for the character models, which were hideous even in their higher-polygon FMV versions, much less the lower-polygon battle or "chibi" versions. Although Final Fantasy VIII has been subjected to same aging that affects all 3D graphics, it was an enormous technical leap on the part of Squaresoft in just two years, and the character graphics were vastly improved, looking quite impressive in 1999.

155577-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-screenshot-first-cutscene-of.png
12772-final-fantasy-viii-windows-screenshot-what-happens-if-we-both.jpg

155579-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-screenshot-your-hero-don-t-even.png
12763-final-fantasy-viii-windows-screenshot-real-time-turn-based.jpg

13953-final-fantasy-vii-windows-screenshot-aeris-house-spinning-questions.jpg
12776-final-fantasy-viii-windows-screenshot-the-nearest-town-can.jpg

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's not just that, but it's obvious from some later areas in FF7 that it was unfinished. Meh, I was spoilt by FF3/6, superior story and overall size. I mean, how the FUCK did they cram all that world into one of those little SNES cartridges? That, PLUS the massive fucking ending!!! Just awesome.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now nostalgia will make it up for a lot of people, but honestly it looks more and more shit the years gone bye.
Even at the time, I thought Final Fantasy VII was the first ugly FF game, with the premature switch to 3D graphics on a new system causing Squaresoft horrendous difficulties in everything except the pre-rendered backgrounds. Especially for the character models, which were hideous even in their higher-polygon FMV versions, much less the lower-polygon battle or "chibi" versions. Although Final Fantasy VIII has been subjected to same aging that affects all 3D graphics, it was an enormous technical leap on the part of Squaresoft in just two years, and the character graphics were vastly improved, looking quite impressive in 1999.

Hm, I've found the combat models and FMV cinematics rather nice - for their time.
The chibi avatars were terribad, though. And the backgrounds blurry (technically low-res I mean).

Hellraiser

Arcane
how the FUCK did they cram all that world into one of those little SNES cartridges?

Tile maps. Back in the day they used to do seriously autistic shit with tile maps to build graphics (including large images that look like a single bitmap but aren't due to lack of memory, battle backgrounds IIRC do this) despite tech limitations, flipping tiles, rotating tiles, color palette swapping (world of ruin tiles seem to be using this, the ground is probably the world of balance tile set with some clever tricks/color encoding in the palette to make the swap possible).

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
It's not just that, but it's obvious from some later areas in FF7 that it was unfinished.

Such as? i have never thought this.

We're never going to agree though, because for you the game becomes shit after midgar whereas for me that's when the game actually starts to become good (I love its particular blend of sci-fi and fantasy. More importantly, Gameplay-wise things start to branch out a bit: level/world design RPG systems enemy skill materia more characters and so on. midgar is still absolutely awesome as an intro though).

RE: FFVIII technical leap. Yeah it's pretty amazing how much Squaresoft managed to improve visually with 8, and everything is much more consistent compared to 7's skitzo art style, but I have always enjoyed 7's look regardless. The chibi dolls and their cartoonish animations provide constant comic relief. The pre-rendered backgrounds are fucking gorgeous, as are most FMVs. The battle graphics and world map are very ugly, but it has never bothered me at all, because 3D back then just was ugly as a rule. FF7 PC mods do help a bit here in particular for whatever that is worth (I don't care). Counter-intuitively there's something to appreciate in the sheer visual diversity as well, as opposed to 8's (or mostly any other game's) consistency. Visual Consistency is important for things like immersion most notably, which I do value, but I value weird visual variety too. I appreciate 7's art precisely for the time it was made. it is unique. Every AAA game looks the same today. FF7R for the most part looks like any other modern game (and less appealing than the original in many cases. beautifully hand-drawn-pre-rendered backgrounds beat modern 3D graphics on a purely visual appeal level). 90s games all had their own unique look. I miss that diversity, but I've never been a graphics whore chasing HD everything in spite of everything else so few can probably relate.
Ultimately I'm making excuses and better-detailed character models, battle and world map GFX probably would be a net positive, as long as the personality is not lost in the process (e.g chibi doll's animations heaviliy lent on as characters' form of expression + comedy).

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane
Meanwhile FF 8-9 handle those transitions smoothly and to a degree of quality not seen in any other game at the time

Yeah, I remember being amazed by the FMV transitions in FF8 because they were seamless with no black screen and pause in between. Unfortunately, that and the opening theme were the only things that impressed me about the game.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
FF7 was already doing the FMV to 2D background transitions smoothly. Hell, the intro sequence through Midgar into the train and Avalanche jumping out of it is all done by seamlessly switching and without a single load time.

I don't trust anyone who says that FF7 was the first "ugly" 3D game. It's not just about poly count and textures, it's about design and use of the resources available to you. FF7 was excellent in that regard and, even though it is true that there's a difference between battle and world models, the direction is consistent and Square did a fine job squeezing the most of out of those chibi models. Unlike 2021 games, the story is told primarily during in-engine cutscenes (rather than 17 minute, $100 million dollar mocap / voice-lined movies) and the chibi models have enough animations to convey that with a lot of life.

Pretending like you weren't impressed by it at the time just makes you look like a douche. At the time, this level of 3D for an RPG was nothing short of groundbreaking.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Who the fuck designed this thing? And who likes this?

There is a cutscene in every. Three. Fucking. Steps.

There are cutscenses EVERYWHERE, even inside battles.

The pacing is terrible. No one mentions this, it's incredible. This is not a good game, it's hardly a game because we don't play it!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It has kind of drawn a lucky deal with that combat system. Having action combat fill a turbo meter which is then used to issue special commands, including healing and buffs, to allies is straight up genius.
A massive drawback of action combat in action rpgs is that the feeling of fighting as a group evaporates. It is all about your main character, and your allies help you juggle an enemy or throw a heal once in a blue moon at best.
The group feels cohesive in VII R's combat, you buff each other, set up combos, swap from character to character and even try to keep the others alive. It also casually solves the problem of healing in combat that can be the death of a poorly planned action combat system (FF XV where you can potion spam through the game). It is not even that fleshed out in this game, increasing the amount of ATB for every party member to about 5, having more maneuvers that take more than 1 atb bar and having better AI that does not always focus the player controlled character hard would imrove the combat a lot. The baseline however is amazing and I hope it gets used again if they make a more party focussed action rpg in the future. I am categorically a turn based > action guy, but I don't mind VII R combat at all.

This game has a lot of flaws from FFXIII, unsurprisingly, it is the same team. But I don't really feel like hating on this game, because of the genius combat system.
Finished it once, won't replay because of my issues with Business Division 1' style, but no bad feelings about this game.
Unit customisation was deece aswell, I used a magic based Cloud for the most part with the Mythril Sword.

Deflowerer

Arcane

The pacing is terrible. No one mentions this, it's incredible. This is not a good game, it's hardly a game because we don't play it!

It has two baggages basically:

a) Has to jerk off to existing FFVII fans, thus more fan service and "world building"
b) It's one episode of a larger game that due to its format had to be stretched much longer

That's pretty much why.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

When's the last time you played a Final Fantasy game?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

This is my biggest issue with modern JRPGs generally.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I haven't been following the remake so I am unaware how many parts there are to complete the arc and how many are actually finished. There are probably some youtube vids on this. I'd rather wait until the entire package is complete tbh.

Villagkouras

Arcane
It has kind of drawn a lucky deal with that combat system. Having action combat fill a turbo meter which is then used to issue special commands, including healing and buffs, to allies is straight up genius.
A massive drawback of action combat in action rpgs is that the feeling of fighting as a group evaporates. It is all about your main character, and your allies help you juggle an enemy or throw a heal once in a blue moon at best.
The group feels cohesive in VII R's combat, you buff each other, set up combos, swap from character to character and even try to keep the others alive. It also casually solves the problem of healing in combat that can be the death of a poorly planned action combat system (FF XV where you can potion spam through the game). It is not even that fleshed out in this game, increasing the amount of ATB for every party member to about 5, having more maneuvers that take more than 1 atb bar and having better AI that does not always focus the player controlled character hard would imrove the combat a lot. The baseline however is amazing and I hope it gets used again if they make a more party focussed action rpg in the future. I am categorically a turn based > action guy, but I don't mind VII R combat at all.

This game has a lot of flaws from FFXIII, unsurprisingly, it is the same team. But I don't really feel like hating on this game, because of the genius combat system.
Finished it once, won't replay because of my issues with Business Division 1' style, but no bad feelings about this game.
Unit customisation was deece aswell, I used a magic based Cloud for the most part with the Mythril Sword.

Seriously, combat is the only thing that keeps from uninstalling it. It's fun and I agree with your post. I think camera and enemies' tells could be improved in the future, also companions AI could use some tweaking. But combat is good.

It has two baggages basically:

a) Has to jerk off to existing FFVII fans, thus more fan service and "world building"
b) It's one episode of a larger game that due to its format had to be stretched much longer

That's pretty much why.

Yeah, I haven't played original FF7, so I couldn't care less about the characters. It's a PS Plus offering and had great reviews and said "why not?".

Never. I tried 15 but I found it too juvenile and boring. I've played some JRPGs in the past and I know that characters talk a lot in these, but this is on another level.

Villagkouras

Arcane
This is my biggest issue with modern JRPGs generally.

I've played for 20 hours. According to a YT video which has all cutscenes of the game, at this point, we've seen 10 hours of cutscenes. So, 10 hours of gameplay? No. There are chapters that you just WALK FOR MINUTES. Everything is so slow. I'd say that in 20 hours of "gaming", I've actually played about 5.

The sad thing is that when I finished a chapter where the gameplay/time ratio was too low, fans of the game say it's their favourite. Unanimously. Which is the saddest of all, because I know I'm a minority.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane

A couple months ago. FF is a highly diverse series of games. This piece of shit is nothing like a 90s FF game. An 80s FF game (e.g the original) just forget it, as it is 100% gameplay, even if it is a mediocre game.

The only thing this game should be compared to is the original Final Fantasy 7, which absolutely destroys this piece of shit remake. Honestly anyone who supports Square Enix post-merger should be castrated and sent to go knit or something equally banal, that's all their small mind can comprehend. Square Enix have made nothing but trash.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A couple months ago. FF is a highly diverse series of games. This piece of shit is nothing like a 90s FF game. An 80s FF game (e.g the original) just forget it, as it is 100% gameplay, even if it is a mediocre game.

Can't believe you're misunderstanding that my point is that this is how they've been for over a decade. This is from an 00s anime:

mogwaimon

Magister

Can't believe you're misunderstanding that my point is that this is how they've been for over a decade. This is from an 00s anime:

that's because they've made exactly one mainline FF game in the last decade and it was pretty bad. feels bad realizing that FF13 was made in 200-friggin-9, I at least thought 13 was in the last decade...and 14 doesn't count because it's an MMO, though there's metric shit-tons of cutscenes in that game regardless.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FFVIIR's problem is that they took a five hour section of a classic game, and made it into a 40 hour game. At the same time, they butchered the characters, story and feeling of the original. Cringe worthy writing, that's borderline abysmal, especially Aerith. Most of what they added doesn't make the game better. The new characters introduced to this game all had terrible designs, made even worse by the DLC.

The combat was fun at times, but that's about it. Had this not been on PS+, I would have never played it.

Ash

Arcane

Right, and Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy in over a decade, all the soul, art, cleverness and mostly tasteful (VIII not withstanding) style is gone. Just as Deus Ex hasn't been Deus Ex in over a decade. Doom hasn't been Doom in nearly three. Tomb Raider...Thief...Elder Scrolls...almost every long standing series suffered the great decline in some form, and what became of FF is actually one of the worst examples. The greatest of declines. this stuff is like some teen's retard-tier fanfic on newgrounds by comparison.

Familiarize yourself with old 90s FF, 5 through to 9 in particular, they're wonderful games. Not this new garbage.

Anyway my point is, "have you never played a FF before" is wrong to say in this context, because these new games aren't really Final Fantasy at all. they're so different and so declined. The moment Squaresoft ceased to exist, when Sakaguchi (FF's creator) left the company, and the corporate entity Square Enix rose, is when many great series died or were set to die, from Tomb Raider to FF to Thief. Thief 4 clearly isn't a Thief game. Tomb Raider 2013 has little in common with TR as Core Design envisioned it. They just take the names and thematic premise and reboot them into complete garbage for mass consumption suitable for mediocre minds.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom