Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
There's a couple of things I noticed that easily remind me of XIV. Very noticeable is the talk about crystals and eikons, which are of course lifted directly from XIV. The scene with the war council kind of deal is also reminiscent of the council room in one of the towns in Heavensward.

The fact that it looks like you don't have a single party member and you're running around mashing buttons and looking cool in battles with cinematic moments makes me think more of XV, though.

Delterius

Arcane
There's a couple of things I noticed that easily remind me of XIV. Very noticeable is the talk about crystals and eikons, which are of course lifted directly from XIV. The scene with the war council kind of deal is also reminiscent of the council room in one of the towns in Heavensward.

The fact that it looks like you don't have a single party member and you're running around mashing buttons and looking cool in battles with cinematic moments makes me think more of XV, though.
That too, but I mean the feels. Character models and animations. They almost feel like a XIV cutscene.

Dodo1610

Arcane
So Sony made the same "mistake" with two completely different games

But the official trailer on Square YT still says it's a timed exclusive

Last edited:
you only play as 1 single character the entire game? No party members?

Big lame... losing interest.

My guess is that stuff is all early game. Maybe even a tutorial kind of section like how Dragon's Dogma starts you out way before the events of the game with a different character. The ending of the trailer shows what seems to be your character when they're both young and older. The gameplay stuff they show in the trailer just looks like it's when your character is young. The cinematic stuff at the start of the trailer shows your character when he's older, he's at a campfire with three other characters, and I'm wondering if those large scale battles will be more than just cutscenes. Like I was wondering that just from the trailer, but after seeing the director of this (Hiroshi Takai) is also the director of The Last Remnant I'm thinking it's even more likely those big battles will be something you actually do.

Wondering if those Icons, the giant monsters, will be something you'll fully control too.

Paper

Educated
It'd be cool if you could make party members at a tavern and "control" them with the FFXII gambit system.

Ofc instead you will probably switch to your only other party member (some waifu) with the shoulder button and see a stupid af slow-motion pan with a distorted deep bass sound effect.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Remove the final fantasy name and reference (the Marlboro, talk about crystals) and you would believe that this is a new action RPG made by western devs.

Well, the combat director is from Dragon's Dogma so at least I hope the combat will be decent this time? We'll see.

Sentinel

Arcane
The graphics keep getting better but the artstyle keeps getting worse.
Why? We live in an age where you could bring Yoshitaka Amano's colourful concepts to life and you choose this boring ass non-artstyle instead. What the fuck.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why? We live in an age where you could bring Yoshitaka Amano's colourful concepts to life and you choose this boring ass non-artstyle instead. What the fuck.
western appeal

I will never forgive the westerners! :argh:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hmmh. I expected more and less at the same time.

Talent seems good. Yoshi-P as producer is interesting because while I have often heard that FFXIV is majestic incline storywise I never checked myself because fuck the entire genre of MMOs. I guess we can see wether the MMOfags are just content with eating sand after being rationed with glassshards all their live, or wether that guy is actually one of the big talents left at SE. Hiroshi Takai director aswell. Seems like they are throwing work towards youngbloods. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0847231/ Heavy involvment in SaGa games sure is a good omen.

High Fantasy is pretty based, but the colour scheme is godawfull. I despaired for the first minutes of the trailer, as I did not believe it was medieval at all from their getups and stuff.

Action combat looks like ... Action combat? Idk all somewhat decent action combats look literally the same for me when I am not in control. At least it looks somewhat snappy.

No party based is despair. Also rpg systems not shown yet at all.

Anyway see you guys in a year when we get the next crumpet of news on this.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hobo Elf am i insane or does this feels like ffxiv somehow
Not insane. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that they were using veteran FF14 staff on this project, since they're the only in-house devs with the most experience in success (within the franchise) that SE has at the moment.

As for the trailer itself. Looks 'kay. Looks a lot more promising and interesting to me than FF13 and 15 did. Its been a long time since I was even mildly interested in a single player FF game, and this looks like it could be the kind of thing I'd be interested in.

Ent

Savant
The trailer honestly felt like one from a FF14 expansion which is probably expected seeing as its Yoshida as the producer. I know Takai worked on Last Remnant which I liked for trying to portray big battles between battalions of soldiers but I honestly barely understand the battle systems of that game even after beating it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Actually in terms of graphics it is looking like FF 16 is a noticeable downgrade from FF7 Remake, which was itself a downgrade from FF 15.

AFAIK this new Final Fantasy game isn't being made with Luminous Engine, it's their open-world game called Athea that's being made with the FF 15 engine. Say what you will about FF 15, and there is lots to say, but graphically that game is a cut above the rest (even its own sequel apparently).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If the graphics in the full game were anything like in the demos, it was hardly that impressive and full of technical goofs.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Remove the final fantasy name and reference (the Marlboro, talk about crystals) and you would believe that this is a new action RPG made by western devs.

Well, the combat director is from Dragon's Dogma so at least I hope the combat will be decent this time? We'll see.

Not really, character design and even combat give it right away that it's Japanese.

Anyway, even if it feels a bit underwhelming to some, it's probably better for the franchise. Square Enix seems to have had massive project management issues since PS3 / Xbox 360 gen and I think going on a more consistent and practical release schedule for the franchise is probably for the best. Especially if they don't have a decade long pre-release hype with trailers featuring shit that won't even appear in the actual game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
For a mainline FF on a new generation, they failed to wow with the graphics and it lacked a central message / theme of the game ("down with the crystals"?).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Z.jpg

rzhyfu4mshrvkirtnggr.jpg

Yes, but then there are those :prosper: faces.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'll be looking forward to Bravely Default 2 instead. Didn't play XIV and this looks exactly the same.

Falksi

Arcane
Fuckinghell. I think that's the worst trailer I've ever seen for any game ever. I don't think it could look worse if it tried.

Forget almost everything that's good about the FF series apart from the Summons, take everything that's bad about it since FF13, and try to blend those elements with The Witcher 3.

Beyond abysmal.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuckinghell. I think that's the worst trailer I've ever seen for any game ever. I don't think it could look worse if it tried.

Forget almost everything that's good about the FF series apart from the Summons, take everything that's bad about it since FF13, and try to blend those elements with The Witcher 3.

Beyond abysmal.
The first time I watched the trailer, I wasn't really impressed but I couldn't put my finger on why. So I watched it again, and I think my major complaint is that it just looks generic, like it's not really Final Fantasy, but some other Asian RPG franchise plus summons and chocobos.

The dragoon armor was good. I wanted to see more stuff like that. The castle scenes lacked detail and they looked like generic dark fantasy castles. I expected FF castles and towns to be more busy and colorful, and more, well, fantastic. The blood splash on the kid's face felt really dark for Final Fantasy. Have they done anything like that before? I always thought that Final Fantasy's combat felt more clean and bloodless. The combat didn't have a HUD. I would expect a HUD or some kind of UI in a Final Fantasy game. I want to see damage numbers pop up and HP bars slide down. And I just expected more sparkle. And the combat scenes looked really monochromatic. I understand the comparisons to Witcher 3 now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom