Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

rohand

Cipher
What's with the Skyrim song at the end

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
EWOOGXy.png

what happened to Aranea's tiddies

Generic-Giant-Spider

I don't know, having people from Dragon's Dogma work on the combat could be big incline. Having played DD over the summer it was one of the best ARPGs I can remember playing in years and hooked me the whole way through. I still revisit it.

The much darker direction intrigues me too, not gonna lie. World looks more like Vagrant Story/FFT-era Ivalice.

Fuckinghell. I think that's the worst trailer I've ever seen for any game ever. I don't think it could look worse if it tried.

Forget almost everything that's good about the FF series apart from the Summons, take everything that's bad about it since FF13, and try to blend those elements with The Witcher 3.

Beyond abysmal.
The first time I watched the trailer, I wasn't really impressed but I couldn't put my finger on why. So I watched it again, and I think my major complaint is that it just looks generic, like it's not really Final Fantasy, but some other Asian RPG franchise plus summons and chocobos.

The dragoon armor was good. I wanted to see more stuff like that. The castle scenes lacked detail and they looked like generic dark fantasy castles. I expected FF castles and towns to be more busy and colorful, and more, well, fantastic. The blood splash on the kid's face felt really dark for Final Fantasy. Have they done anything like that before? I always thought that Final Fantasy's combat felt more clean and bloodless. The combat didn't have a HUD. I would expect a HUD or some kind of UI in a Final Fantasy game. I want to see damage numbers pop up and HP bars slide down. And I just expected more sparkle. And the combat scenes looked really monochromatic. I understand the comparisons to Witcher 3 now.

It's pretty Final Fantasy looking. Outside of just being able to tell it's Final Fantasy the moment you see a characters face, the style of it looks like stuff I've seen in trailers for the Online game, and seems to be a throwback to stuff like Tactics and pre-Final Fantasy 6 Final Fantasy. The summons also look very Final Fantasy. Art director on this is probably the same one for the studios Online game, Akihiko Yoshida, who also did Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Vagrant Story, and some of FF12.

I'm guessing changing your armor also has a visible change in this one, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could end up making your character look like the Warrior of Light or something by the end of the game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Probably gonna be the best FF since 12 to be honest.

Mainline or in general? Because some of the spinoffs havn't been awfull. I had some fun with Type-0, World of, Tactics A2, Dimensions, The 4 Heroes of Light, Theatrythm and a few of the remasters.

The mix between realistic medieval fantasy graphics and anime art-style characters gives me some uncanny valley vibes.

The characters looks like fucking dolls !!

and the setting is a straight up The Witcher 3 rip off, fuck this game !! they should have made a sequel to FF XII instead.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
FF12/Tactics vibe, setting seems to be grittier and focused on medieval fantasy (a nice change of pace after XIII and XV), DD people involved and Nomura being absent? This could turn out to be quite decent. People are blasting the trailer for the lack of the super ultra graphixxx SE is known for, but if gameplay holds up and story isn't a complete trainwreck then it will more than make up for it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'Never forget your roots'

Then bash anyone who dares say they prefer old schoolFF style combat. LMAO

Yeah, the return to more classical fantasy world for a Final Fantasy game is a nice change of pace given the series has been deep in more sci-fi stuff since Final Fantasy 13 came out in 2009. This really hard turn back into traditional fantasy I'm sure was help along by Final Fantasy 7 remake stuff also being something that will be happening along side this game.

Final Fantasy 6 & 7 aside, aesthetically my favorite Final Fantasy stuff was Tactics and it's play on Final Fantasy's roots anyways. Really like Akihiko Yoshida's stuff.

C48o1ccW8AQDEQK.jpg

The return to a more classical look for Final Fantasy, bringing on someone from Dragon's Dogma for the combat system, and the very little I know about The Last Remnant has me wondering if we'll have a version of the Jobs here. There does seem to be some element to your attacks that changes, maybe in relation to the Icons that appear to be a summons...stuff like that one flaming wing and the big fist at least seem to have something in come with the Icons they showed in the trailer.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Probably gonna be the best FF since 12 to be honest.

Mainline or in general? Because some of the spinoffs havn't been awfull. I had some fun with Type-0, World of, Tactics A2, Dimensions, The 4 Heroes of Light, Theatrythm and a few of the remasters.

In general. Enjoyed Last Remnant and what I played of FFXIV a lot tbh to be excited about it. The only reservation I have is about the combat. Not about the action combat, because this time someone competent seems to be working on it, but instead if it implies there would be no party anymore. Which hopefully isn't the case, because that would hurt.

That said I did enjoy some of the spin-offs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm happy if the game opts to be a single character action game.

Dragon's Dogma is about the only good JRPG with action combat and a party that I can think of, and only because I can choose to ignore it entirely. Party based JARPG combat is always a massive failure. One of the big issues I have with it is with the big flashy attack anims that pile on top of each other when you have party members involved as it starts to hurt the readability of the game. The second issue are the NPC party members who tend to draw in enemy attention which makes the combat feel more passive on the player's part as you're less active in avoiding enemy attacks and more concerned on just mashing the attack buttons to deplete HP. I don't think it works in a game where you're supposed to feel the thrill of fast paced actiony gameplay.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
The only reservation I have is about the combat. Not about the action combat, because this time someone competent seems to be working on it, but instead if it implies there would be no party anymore.

Not necessarily, although I do find it amusing they had to patch in character swapping for FF15 because at launch you really could only control Regis. If you look at something like Dragon's Dogma it shows you can still have a party, one that fights alongside you and you have control in developing, even if you do control only the main character. Truth is we'll simply never see that traditional combat system in a core entry ever again.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The only reservation I have is about the combat. Not about the action combat, because this time someone competent seems to be working on it, but instead if it implies there would be no party anymore.

Not necessarily, although I do find it amusing they had to patch in character swapping for FF15 because at launch you really could only control Regis. If you look at something like Dragon's Dogma it shows you can still have a party, one that fights alongside you and you have control in developing, even if you do control only the main character. Truth is we'll simply never see that traditional combat system in a core entry ever again.

Yeah, at 1:20 there is an allied AI controlling another dude with a sword. We don't know if just setpiece or companion.

Also thank god for Dragon Quest.

jungl

Augur
at least we getting a actual game. ff15 was one of the biggest fuck ups in gaming. Dragon dogma and devil may cry have simplistic combat systems. ff deserves better what would nice if they entertain actual combatfags. Since this game looks ff tactics add ff tactics/last remnant type battles to the game. Where you control half a dozen people or groups and tell them where to fight on a battlefield. And after a interval of 60 seconds of real time fighting you choose on a battle map where they go attack next or flank and cast spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom