Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I mean, how often in fiction do you have heroes covering their entire heads with a helm anyway? Most heroic fiction portrays the characters without one as it helps enhance their individuality.

Good to see that you don't have AI characters playing the game for you like many recent japanese ARPGs. Unfornately, it looks like it'll be just as much as an RPG as Darksiders.
Story looks cringe. Setting is a bizarre change. I hope it has you hunting those monster things as only a main quest in an open world, but if that does happen it'll probably be poorly done.
Edgy Fantasy XVI?
From "I'll kill you" in the trailer, it has potential.

I think you'll have a party here. I can't see a Final Fantasy game not having a party. They showed what looks like your character at two stages of their life. The gameplay in the trailer is probably all very early game since it just looks like the teen version. The character when they're older looks like they're in a group of four. Given the director on this is the The Last Remnant guy, and they're showing a big battle scene, I'd imagine that isn't just some story cutscene type thing you'll never have to deal with like it likely would be normally; I'm think you'll probably have control of big battles with the real-time combat.

I'm not sure how you can tell how much of an RPG it will be. Nothing they've show gives any kind of indication of how stats will work here at all. Gameplaywise all we can really assume is it'd probably play something like Dragon's Dogma, but with some more exaggerated Devil May Cry moves being possible too; maybe it'll also have the menu selection system for moves like Final Fantasy 7 remake did too, but who knows.

Gastrick

Cipher
I think you'll have a party here. I can't see a Final Fantasy game not having a party. They showed what looks like your character at two stages of their life. The gameplay in the trailer is probably all very early game since it just looks like the teen version. The character when they're older looks like they're in a group of four. Given the director on this is the The Last Remnant guy, and they're showing a big battle scene, I'd imagine that isn't just some story cutscene type thing you'll never have to deal with like it likely would be normally; I'm think you'll probably have control of big battles with the real-time combat.

I'm not sure how you can tell how much of an RPG it will be. Nothing they've show gives any kind of indication of how stats will work here at all. Gameplaywise all we can really assume is it'd probably play something like Dragon's Dogma, but with some more exaggerated Devil May Cry moves being possible too; maybe it'll also have the menu selection system for moves like Final Fantasy 7 remake did too, but who knows.
Maybe, I'll rewatch it.
It could be a range of time that you play as the teen version, more than very early game. By not having control, I meant like how in Xenoblade you play one of the characters and the other three are AI that do most the work in a fight.
I think that it'll be that much of an rpg because the same gameplay footage could be used for a devil may cry commercial and it'd be hard to tell the difference, aside from the FF monster. If you ignore the trailer, it likely will be fairly RPG like.

I don't think this will have Devil May Cry inputs. It is very DMC looking, but the execution of those moves will probably be the same system in Dragon's Dogma, with maybe the menu selection of FF7R as well. Moves most likely won't have anything to do with player skill, they'll probably have some kind of meter dictated by character stats.

You probably will end up having three other people going alongside you that are AI controlled like in Dragon's Dogma. But given FF7R lets you switch between characters it'll probably have something like that too. If it does have larger scale battles then maybe there could be a split between sections where you've got lots of characters, and sections where you're alone or something. It does look like there's another character in the background during the first glimpse of that bog looking area when we see combat. There's also a character that's down during that one boss looking fight with the big knight looking guy. Could just be that he's down because of something that happened in a cutscene, but it could also be that he's in that fight too, and just downed during the trailer.

Gastrick

Cipher
Xenoblade let you switch between characters as well. It is what it is about the gameplay.
I autismed out the true details(only very high-functioning though).
It does look like there's another character in the background during the first glimpse of that bog looking area when we see combat
If you pause and look, that "character" is actually a monster identical to the one the main character is fighting. It also walks like an enemy would.
There's also a character that's down during that one boss looking fight with the big knight looking guy.
You can see from the reflection that he's wearing a helmet and main characters in final fantasy for some reason stated earlier don't wear helmets.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I din't think that it'll be that much of an rpg because the same gameplay footage could be used for a devil may cry commercial and it'd be hard to tell the difference, aside from the FF monster.

There's a SAGA veteran at the helmet. Who was battle director of the Romancing Saga remake and director of Last Remnant.

HUGE doubt.

Edit: Not that it won't feature action-based combat, but I can't imagine a system-lite *rpg* here at all. Edit2: Then again I've been disappointed before.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think it looks pretty good. A return to a more grounded, dirty setting was really needed. Reminds me a lot of jWitcher 3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not in itself. I don't like Witcher 3.

But it's different and I like that the FF series isn't afraid of trying something new every installment, even if leads to wildly varying results.

Besides, I'm so ready for a break from modern FF settings. Give me something classical again, with swords and bows and axes. FF 9 was a high point to me.

Xenoblade let you switch between characters as well. It is what it is about the gameplay.
I autismed out the true details(only very high-functioning though).
It does look like there's another character in the background during the first glimpse of that bog looking area when we see combat
If you pause and look, that "character" is actually a monster identical to the one the main character is fighting. It also walks like an enemy would.
There's also a character that's down during that one boss looking fight with the big knight looking guy.
You can see from the reflection that he's wearing a helmet and main characters in final fantasy for some reason stated earlier don't wear helmets.

That character isn't like the enemies in that bog area. The enemies are some kind of humanoid monster with clubs, the character you see a bit of is a human with a sword and he looks like he's got the same kind of armor as you do now that I'm looking at it again.

There are playable characters in Final Fantasy games with helmets and other head gear. There are especially playable characters in the fantasy Final Fantasy games with the jobs system where you can change your class.

fft_classes_by_njordy-d32umkk.jpg

I also wouldn't be surprised if this one had more of a western armor system, where all your gear actually had a visible change. Also wouldn't be surprised if this had the series Job System where you could select which class your character used.

Gastrick

Cipher
That character isn't like the enemies in that bog area. The enemies are some kind of humanoid monster with clubs, the character you see a bit of is a human with a sword and he looks like he's got the same kind of armor as you do now that I'm looking at it again.

There are playable characters in Final Fantasy games with helmets and other head gear. There are especially playable characters in the fantasy Final Fantasy games with the jobs system where you can change your class.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this one had more of a western armor system, where all your gear actually had a visible change. Also wouldn't be surprised if this had the series Job System where you could select which class your character used.
Watching it this time around, the video quality isn't blurry and I can see the character in the swamp.
Cool, didn't think of those games. That'd be interesting if they added jobs to the game, although I would be surprised if they didn't stick to job-less pre-built characters.

deuxhero

Arcane
I have no problem with art of characters having no helmet on: There's plenty of historical paintings of people wearing armor with their helm off. Likewise there's no problem with characters taking off their helmet/lifting their visor when not in combat. It's when they're directly in combat with no helmet that's derp.

Duraframe300

Arcane

fft_classes_by_njordy-d32umkk.jpg

Probably not the best picture to demonstrate that.

I mean, aside from the two *remake* classes and lancer none of those could be seriously called a helmet. As in offer any real protection at all. (And I know you included *other headgear* just saying.

Duraframe300

Arcane
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/29/introducing-the-world-and-characters-of-final-fantasy-xvi/
Introducing the world and characters of Final Fantasy XVI
MV_EN.png

Share this on Facebook (opens in a new window)Share this on Twitter (opens in a new window)
How Mothercrystals, Dominants, and Eikons fit into the world of Valisthea.

Square-Enix.jpg

Naoki YoshidaProducer, Square Enix

Hello everyone! This is Naoki Yoshida, producer for Final Fantasy XVI. Everyone here in the development team is currently working together on a massive scale to bring you an all-new game worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Our next major announcement is planned to take place in 2021, but ahead of that, we revealed the Final Fantasy XVI teaser website today.

In the teaser website, we’ve included a lot of new information and artwork to introduce you to the world in which the story takes place, and also some of the main characters of the game. So, let me briefly introduce the content of the site!

A Land Blessed in the Light of the Mothercrystals
Final Fantasy XVI’s adventure takes place in a land called Valisthea, which is studded with colossal mountains of glittering crystal called Mothercrystals. These Mothercrystals have towered over the realms around them for generations, blessing them with aether. This blessing of the Mothercrystals has allowed these realms to thrive, and their people to live in comfort.

Countless wars have been fought over the Mothercrystals all around the land, leading to the rise of nations such as the Grand Duchy of Rosaria, the Holy Empire of Sanbreque, the Kingdom of Waloed, the Dhalmekian Republic, and the Iron Kingdom, each with their own culture and ideology. Ongoing skirmishes have forged an uneasy peace between these nations, but with the emergence of the ruinous Blight, that fragile peace is starting to deteriorate.

Three characters swept up by the winds of fate
There was a lot of speculation, but yes, the young knight and the tattooed man in the “Awakening” trailer are one and the same. His name is Clive Rosfield, and he’s the main protagonist of this game. The firstborn son of the Archduke of Rosaria, Clive is a Shield who protects his younger brother Joshua, the Dominant of the Phoenix. Joshua bestowed the Blessing of the Phoenix upon him, giving Clive the ability to wield a part of the Eikon’s fire. However, as the story unfolds, he is swept up into a great tragedy.

Joshua Rosfield is Clive’s younger brother and also the Dominant of the Phoenix—Eikon of Fire. Dominants are special beings who have the power of an Eikon residing within them. As a Dominant, Joshua transforms into the Phoenix and fights to protect his nation. Even though he was born into royalty, Joshua treats everyone with kindness, but he does have his childlike side, too, with a particular dislike of carrots.

The two brothers find a confidant in Jill Warrick, who was raised alongside them. At an early age, Jill was taken from her homeland in the Northern Territories—a nation that swore loyalty to the Grand Duchy of Rosaria—to become a ward of the duchy, securing peace between the two realms. She spends her childhood years with Clive and Joshua as a member of the Rosfield household.

The Eikons and the Dominants that threaten the world
For those familiar with the Final Fantasy series, you may know Eikons as “Summons”, and they are without a doubt the most destructive and lethal creatures in Valisthea. Wielding powers that can level nations, Eikons reside within special beings called Dominants. How Dominants are treated depends on the realm—in some they are revered as royalty, while in others they are sent to the frontlines as weapons of war.

In the “Awakening” trailer, Eikons such as the Phoenix, Titan, Shiva, and Ifrit make an appearance. As for questions about how many other Eikons there are in Valisthea, who they are, and what will happen when they come to blows, well…you’ll just have to wait for a future reveal to find out!

I hope you get a chance to visit the newly launched Final Fantasy XVI teaser website, as you’ll find plenty more information and artwork there. Our next big announcement will be in 2021, so please look forward to it, and please keep looking forward to Final Fantasy XVI!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Seeing some credits, apparently the Capcom guy they've hired - Ryota Suzuki - has been a combat designer for Capcom since the '99 JoJo fighting game.
Dragon's Dogma, Mosnter Hunter World and DMC5 being the biggest titles he worked on.
In the latter he seemed to have been one of the main designers for V's combat - I would say this was one of the biggest reasons Squeenix hired him since looking at this game's premise controlling summoned monsters will be an important part of the game.

Joshua bestowed the Blessing of the Phoenix upon him, giving Clive the ability to wield a part of the Eikon’s fire.

For those familiar with the Final Fantasy series, you may know Eikons as “Summons”, and they are without a doubt the most destructive and lethal creatures in Valisthea.

Let's see if the phone will ring when they show some gameplay

Dodo1610

Arcane
Only a party of 3? Well at least this time they have a girl. Setting sounds generic but since this is FF that's probably a good thing.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Do we know who the character designer is yet? The pic reminds me a lot of the FFXII concept art. Apparently it's some dude who worked on XIV.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
everything is xiv in this

thats a good thing.

It certainly is. That division is filled with remnants, both personal and more importantly spiritually, of good Square Enix.
Additionally Kitase, Nomura and Nojima are kept far away from it. And with Yoshi-P a really good producer is behind it as well.
And, while again going the action route, there is at least someone competent doing it.
Not to mention a SAGA veteran at the helm.

Technically this really should work out to the best single player Final Fantasy in a while. Technically.
But with how dream teams have worked out recently, one could also fear the worst.

Sadly, its not the 90's anymore where you get Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics out of such combinations.

:negative:

Shrimp

Arbiter

thats a good thing.

It certainly is. That division is filled with remnants, both personal and more importantly spiritually, of good Square Enix.
Additionally Kitase, Nomura and Nojima are kept far away from it. And with Yoshi-P a really good producer is behind it as well.
And, while again going the action route, there is at least someone competent doing it.

Technically this really should work out to the best single player Final Fantasy in a while. Technically.
But with how dream teams have worked out recently, one could also fear the worst.

Sadly, its not the 90's anymore where you get Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics out of such combinations.

Yoshida's an Ivalice fanboy so hopefully his preferences and tastes will affect the game for the better.

Delterius

Arcane

thats a good thing.

Yoshida's an Ivalice fanboy so hopefully his preferences and tastes will affect the game for the better.
Before he left XIV he did a whole patch based on Ivalice and I ran through it on patch days so many times it wasn't healthy.

Endemic

Arcane
I thought Matsuno did a lot of the Ivalice XIV stuff? Despite the previous misgivings he had with SE, he's been doing contract work for them.

Deleted member 7219

Final Fantasy XIV (Heavensward and after) is fucking incline.

All they need to do is bring back the turn-based combat from FFX and this will be great. I'll also settle for the command-based real-time combat of FFXII instead. Anything that isn't slash'em up shit like FFXV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom