Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Final Fantasy XIV (Heavensward and after) is fucking incline.

All they need to do is bring back the turn-based combat from FFX and this will be great. I'll also settle for the command-based real-time combat of FFXII instead. Anything that isn't slash'em up shit like FFXV.
Considering the sparse amount of footage we've seen in the trailer as well as the fact that they hired the combat designer for DMC and Dragon's Dogma I'd say the chance of the game having turn based combat is 0.
Words cannot describe how much I want something similar to XII though. The gambit system has so much potential and I can't fathom that it hasn't been adopted by more party based RPGs with real-time combat.

Duraframe300

Arcane

All they need to do is bring back the turn-based combat from FFX and this will be great. I'll also settle for the command-based real-time combat of FFXII instead. Anything that isn't slash'em up shit like FFXV.
Considering the sparse amount of footage we've seen in the trailer as well as the fact that they hired the combat designer for DMC and Dragon's Dogma I'd say the chance of the game having turn based combat is 0.
The game is also directed by a guy who worked on multiple SAGA games, was battle director on the PS2 romancing saga remake and directed Last Remnant.
Technically thats a weird ass combination, but I am excited of what will come of it.

Certainly not writing it off yet or expecting XV-2.

Machocruz

Arcane
3 character party will always be super decline to me, but I enjoyed 12 anyway. I have more optimism about this than anything FF since then. Character designer looks to be Akihiko Yoshida, who did all the Ivalice games, Nier Automata, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre. The best character artist they've had since Amano.

Ent

Savant
3 character party will always be super decline to me, but I enjoyed 12 anyway. I have more optimism about this than anything FF since then. Character designer looks to be Akihiko Yoshida, who did all the Ivalice games, Nier Automata, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre. The best character artist they've had since Amano.
I don't think there will be party at all. I have a feeling the variety is going to come from the different moves the main character gets when merging with the summons. Some are even speculating that the game is going to be like the Witcher except you play as Nero from DMC.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Call me optimist but I have very good feelings about this game.

FFXV was very flawed but enjoyable. It had good exploration for a current Open Wold game, with distinct locations, dungeons and monsters to hunt like FFXII or Dragon's dogma. The main flaws were the final stretch of the game with infamous stealth sections and stupid end of the story. Combat was also mediocre, but not terrible.

Having hired Dragon's Dogma combat designer can give this the edge to have great gameplay if they build an interesting world to explore again.

Not a FF fanboy, but being a great fan of FFXII and DD I'm excited about FFXVI. Hope they pull it off.

Not buying a PS5 though, any info on PC release?

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
There are playable characters in Final Fantasy games with helmets and other head gear. There are especially playable characters in the fantasy Final Fantasy games with the jobs system where you can change your class.
Kind of hard to make an argument for helmeted characters when your argument is for the sprites that only faceless soldiers use. Kain and Shadow are the only helmeted / or masked characters you get in mainline games that obscure their features for heavy handed story or characterization reasons. Even Steiner's helmet is closer to a hairstyle than protective headgear. You could say FF5 is an example, but I'd disagree since the game plainly introduces them in their Freelancer job. And from there everyone has a fairly specific color scheme they follow. And most of them sprites look like all the money went into Bartz, while Galuf got the hand me down shit since they knew he was gonna eat dirt halfway through.

It's a real shame too, because FFXII's Judges showed how distinctive well designed armor could be. You could even say the Judge helms *were* their face, right down to Drace's armor and helm looking more feminine with a more rounded structure than the others.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still have to play 15
I still have to play 1... through 15 and extras. I start and quit for some reason. Maybe I'm just more of a Phantasy Star fan rather than FF.

ok... for sure I'll finish them...
22kRqL1.gif

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

FFXVI with classic JRPG combat a`la Dragon Quest XI could be heaven.

Edit: I just rewatched the FFXVI trailer. Fat chance for having classic TB combat.

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar

Words cannot describe how much I want something similar to XII though. The gambit system has so much potential and I can't fathom that it hasn't been adopted by more party based RPGs with real-time combat.

A full five or six party system with gambits would be interesting. Perhaps you can get a more tactical flair by having gambits control reflex actions with an atb meter for commands so you can’t rely in either.

It is strange they never went in that direction since they’ve been trying to make a cinematic fighting system for years - that blend would be more cinematic then what we saw in XIII and XV.

Last edited:

FFXVI with classic JRPG combat a`la Dragon Quest XI could be heaven.

Edit: I just rewatched the FFXVI trailer. Fat chance for having classic TB combat.

Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler seem to be their turn based Final Fantasy games now. Could throw World of Final Fantasy in there too, but that also doesn't seem to line up with classic FF as much as those other two.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Except that WoFF was actually good whereas Bravely Default sucked and I hear Octopath sucks but haven't played it.

A full five or six party system
Too much incline for the modern mainstream market. 4 is considered a large party size now.

I really think this'll have two styles of battles. One in which you're in a party of four Dragon's Dogma style. And one being a kind of variety on what Hiroshi Takai's The Last Remnant that's something like the Kingdom Under Fire games on Xbox, where each of your main party members controls a army. Normally I wouldn't think too much about some big battle scene in a trailer, but I can see that actually being something you'll be doing given The Last Remnant. I don't know, maybe it won't be split, but I really think we'll have some take on what The Last Remnant did with Unions, but mixed with a combat system that's something like Dogma but with a bit of that over-the-topness of DMC. Could even be why you see what looks like one generic looking soldier in the background of that swamp bit in the trail.

When it comes to gameplay I think all they've actually show basically amount to the starting town of Dragon's Dogma where you don't even have a full party yet.

50542067131_762c2f45e2_o.png

If that ends up being the cover for the game, it isn't even showing the younger version of the character they've been showing art off for, and who we mainly see in that first trailer. So we may end up spending almost no time as that younger version. I'd guess at the least, in the next trailer, we'll see the older version of the main character in a party with those other guys from around the campfire.

Machocruz

Arcane
Well I hope the injection of new(er) blood brings something different and interesting to the table. I just can't with that Nomura shit anymore. One of the lamest big name game designers ever.

Hyperion

Arcane
No zippers on the pants is a huge step in the right direction. Would be nice if he adds a breastplate at some point to not end up like Steve Irwin or something.

Gotta take small victories at this point, but Amano art boxcover should be mandatory.

Shrimp

Arbiter
A game getting delayed amidst another COVID wave should honestly not come as a surprise to anyone, but what's up with them apparently still not having set up remote work facilities when we're almost two years into the pandemic? What have they been doing all this time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom