Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyone not setting up remote facilities/networking seems a missed opportunity off the bat. It was the first thing I thought of along with stock in various supplies.

Lincolnberry

Educated
First trailer seemed pretty heavy single player character action, this one is all about the summons. Curious where it actually shakes out ultimately. I'm totally on board with them shaking things up a bit after several lackluster numbered releases in a row (haven't unequivocally enjoyed one since X, personally) - certainly hope Yoshi P can pull this one together. Not sure I'm convinced yet, though.

Nice to see confirmation of the godzilla battles. I wonder if you can move around the battlefield as a summon and smash castles, or if it's just going to be cutscene duels like in Suikoden. Hopefully it's not just straight up QTEs.

Nervous about the sex scene. Sex scenes in videogames usually reek of trying too hard to get "this is a mature videogame!" status, but come off as just stupid.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice to see confirmation of the godzilla battles. I wonder if you can move around the battlefield as a summon and smash castles, or if it's just going to be cutscene duels like in Suikoden. Hopefully it's not just straight up QTEs.

Nervous about the sex scene. Sex scenes in videogames usually reek of trying too hard to get "this is a mature videogame!" status, but come off as just stupid.

If you are going for that grimdark fantasy look you basically need to acknowledge that sex exists. I don't think I ever read a fantasy book with a grimier setting of the Witcher/GoT order like this game is going for where not at least someone had sex. I don't worry about that, with the camera angle they chose it looks maximum tastefull.

The only thing that worries me is that we know nothing about how the progression systems are gonna look, and almost nothing about how the game is gonna play. It would be a shame for this to even discard the thin veneer of a skill grid that XV had and go full DMC for example.

I like that the summons you absorb become stances tho. That adds a lot to an action rpg. Last game I played with a mechanic like this was crosscode, toggling through the elemental stances to keep a combo up was great in that.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you are going for that grimdark fantasy look you basically need to acknowledge that sex exists. I don't think I ever read a fantasy book with a grimier setting of the Witcher/GoT order like this game is going for where not at least someone had sex.
I take it you've never read the original Mistborn trilogy? Based Sanderson can deliver anything you want without degeneracy. I assume it's because he's a Mormon. His Stormlight Archive series is pretty dark too and I don't remember any sex in that either.

Repressed Homosexual
This franchise has long become completely irrelevant, because of the increasing pressure to make better looking cutscenes, environments and summons animations, which took longer and longer to make. It has essentially become about nothing else. It doesn't capture the imagination anymore, it's strictly a game about Square Enix showing off about what kind of graphics it can do.

Giant godzilla battles capture my imagination, but I'm skeptical if the devs can turn that into gameplay that is actually fun. Otherwise it's just going to make for nice cutscenes.

The rest of the FF16 setting does seem to be visually bland and unimaginative. No airships, no other weird races, etc.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Square Enix is trying hard to make FF become AAA generic european fantasy. Up to par with their global push I guess. XV is probably gonna be the last FF I play as this is not interesting to in the least

Zlaja

Arcane
At least the new game doesn't have you running around with a cringy boy band, which is an absolute must in my book. That aspect alone made me never even consider giving FF15 a chance. The art style gives a FF12 vibe, which is a good thing in my book (last FF I actually bought). Regarding the combat, it's gonna be more of an action game than RPG, but that was a given.

I just hope the characters are decent, the story to make sense and that it actually ENDS, with no unresolved mess/cliffhanger garbage.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thac0 You're worried about FFXVI going full DMC? Then, you probably don't want to know that the main dude behind the DMC combat moved to Square Enix, and is now lead combat designer on FFXVI.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you are going for that grimdark fantasy look you basically need to acknowledge that sex exists. I don't think I ever read a fantasy book with a grimier setting of the Witcher/GoT order like this game is going for where not at least someone had sex.
I take it you've never read the original Mistborn trilogy? Based Sanderson can deliver anything you want without degeneracy. I assume it's because he's a Mormon. His Stormlight Archive series is pretty dark too and I don't remember any sex in that either.

Written by a mormon, widely mocked for being a daring synthesis of anime and capeshit. I used to like it quite a bit, but dropped Stormlight at Oathbreaker because HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS THE SEVENTH CHAPTER WHERE
DALINAR KHOLIN IS SAD ABOUT THAT ONE GENOCIDE HE DID ONCE, GET OVER IT YOU OLD FAG
You can actually find quite a few posts by me discussing the series in the books subforum here.

A fantasy book only doesn't have sex if it is:
A: written by a Christian (Tolkien, Cs Lewis, Sanderson)
B: written primarily for Children (Rowling, Paolini, Lloyd Alexander)
C: written by a woman (Susanna Clarke)

there are exceptions, Gene Wolfe is a Christian and Book of the New Sun has a sex scene every 50 pages, Ursula K Le Guin's Earthsea starts out as YA and still there is sex in book 4, John Gwynne is actually a realistic fantasy book aimed more at adults than at children, yet he still writes no sex, but overall people fuck in that genre. Abercrombie, Erikson, GRRM, Bakker, Tadd Williams, Guy Gavriel Kay, Goodkind (also lol), Vance, Moorcock, Howard etc. etc.
People not having sex in grimey fantasy is definitly an ommision, and usually makes things look video gamey, precisely because they steer away from sex so much because it doesn't have a good presence in the medium.

Thac0 You're worried about FFXVI going full DMC? Then, you probably don't want to know that the main dude behind the DMC combat moved to Square Enix, and is now lead combat designer on FFXVI.

I know, and believe me I am. I am worried about every action combat system tho.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Action combat isn't the issue here you troglodytes. It's the fact that I can't see SHIT behind the all the god damn particle effects and numbers. It's a visual mess.

The hell am I looking at here? Also notice the top left corner UI element, which looks exactly the same as NIOH 2's UI.

Dhaze

Cipher
Action combat isn't the issue here you troglodytes. It's the fact that I can't see SHIT behind the all the god damn particle effects and numbers. It's a visual mess.

The problem is intrinsically linked to the name. For a time now, to be a mainline Final Fantasy, a game has needed a shit-ton of lighting effects and flashes with lens flare and the camera needs to shake and swirl around then pull back because oh look! more explosions and colors but then we zoom in abruptly and oh look! so many numbers cascading over one another.

I've been saying that since 13-3; I couldn't see a fucking thing during some of the later fights in that game. Either the devs don't understand that visual clarity is imperatively needed if they want to go all-in into the action side of things, or they don't care. And at this point I don't see the problem ever going away, because the main Final Fantasy games have devolved into glorified tech demos. Pure Decline.

Lincolnberry

Educated
I'd be a little surprised if they don't clean up the UI a bit before release. Seems likely to be a common (and justified) complaint. They're also suggesting a year before release, which seems like plenty of time to implement.

Aarwolf

Learned
Will this game have a proper party, or is it solely a protagonist fighting and doing things, like in nearly any other AAA shit games?

Not a fan of that kind of change, to say the least.

Combat looks like a mess, mashing buttons and doing weird combos looks like a given, not a fan of that too. Looks like XII was the last entry for an oldfag like me.

Shrimp

Arbiter
"The game is almost finished" --Producer Naoki Yoshida a month or so ago
"The game is coming in a year" --State of Play 2022

What?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"The game is almost finished" --Producer Naoki Yoshida a month or so ago
"The game is coming in a year" --State of Play 2022

What?
That was poorly translated. What he said was that the game is in its final stages of development. That statement is also not great. What he meant is that the game was playable from start to finish, which is confirmed. The remaining development times is for optimization, and other stuff like that.

In short: a poor statement that got an even worse translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom