Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If you are going for that grimdark fantasy look you basically need to acknowledge that sex exists. I don't think I ever read a fantasy book with a grimier setting of the Witcher/GoT order like this game is going for where not at least someone had sex.
I take it you've never read the original Mistborn trilogy? Based Sanderson can deliver anything you want without degeneracy. I assume it's because he's a Mormon. His Stormlight Archive series is pretty dark too and I don't remember any sex in that either.

I seem to remember a rape scene in the second mistborn novel but perhaps that doesn't count as degeneracy in your mind?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Thoughts:

Like the artstyle, like the tone, like the premise well enough. Don't mind action combat (if done well, and it seems like it is).
I also don't mind visual clutter, but that's a me thing. Hardly played any game ever where it actually distracted me.

Fucking LOVE the Summon/Eidolon/Eikon/Whateverthefuck designs. IMO, they're absolutely on point and give a nice nostalgic feeling.

More worried about what isn't shown. I don't worry as much about additional rpg systems on pedigree alone, but at this point it might as well be a higher budget Strangers of Paradise.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you are going for that grimdark fantasy look you basically need to acknowledge that sex exists. I don't think I ever read a fantasy book with a grimier setting of the Witcher/GoT order like this game is going for where not at least someone had sex.
I take it you've never read the original Mistborn trilogy? Based Sanderson can deliver anything you want without degeneracy. I assume it's because he's a Mormon. His Stormlight Archive series is pretty dark too and I don't remember any sex in that either.

I seem to remember a rape scene in the second mistborn novel but perhaps that doesn't count as degeneracy in your mind?
It's been a really long time since I read those and I don't remember that scene at all. Who gets raped? Vin is the only female character I can think of and I don't think she was ever raped. I wouldn't count that as degeneracy unless it's an explicit sex scene described in detail. Just saying someone was raped would not be degeneracy.

jungl

Augur
Mindless button mashing the game? This looks like a movie game where you roam around a battlefield press buttons cool animation happens. Then a cutscene happens you forced to watch then press more buttons then followed by another cutscene. Rinse and repeat. A game where you get a headache from the music, brainless combat and watching enemy health bars go down that you rush to a save point and play something better.

Did they make a worse game then ff15?

Shinji

Savant
Not sure why they went the Action-RPG route, because this doesn't look as appealing as Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma (or even non-RPGs like Devil May Cry)

Unfortunately their latest FF games sold well, so there's no hope for them going back to turn-based anytime soon.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

It's been a really long time since I read those and I don't remember that scene at all. Who gets raped? Vin is the only female character I can think of and I don't think she was ever raped. I wouldn't count that as degeneracy unless it's an explicit sex scene described in detail. Just saying someone was raped would not be degeneracy.

The noble father of the evil/insane mistborn rapes a servant girl and reminisces about past rapes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I liked the various batman games and even splatterhouse (nix the repeated special death animation).

I could dig this if combat flows and feels crunchy. And hopefully the hitboxes aren't sloppy. But doesn't this sort of make it more of a single character game as how the hell do you run compnions. TB is awesome for parties... RT makes me wince. And wouldn't action rpg be better with a solo dragon warrior or Ys game?

Duraframe300

Arcane
I liked the various batman games and even splatterhouse (nix the repeated special death animation).

I could dig this if combat flows and feels crunchy. And hopefully the hitboxes aren't sloppy. But doesn't this sort of make it more of a single character game as how the hell do you run compnions. TB is awesome for parties... RT makes me wince. And wouldn't action rpg be better with a solo dragon warrior or Ys game?

As said we haven't really seen anything apart from straight up combat and the Eikon battles. So, really the answer is dunno.

From the website descriptions I do think its possible that storywise he will be running around with other charachters, while the combat gameplay will be single charachter. The main charachter is also not an Eikon Dominator himself, but apparently can wield some of the Eikon's power in battle. (Phoenix, his brother, to start out with).

namely, high-octane battles featuring our protagonist Clive Rosfield wielding a full arsenal of attacks unique to the game's many Eikons (summons).

So, yeah. Random guess, but its possible that at least Garuda and Titan will join the group and lend him his powers, with them taking directly part in the Eikon battles. I'm also not sure if the Eikon battles aren't actually TB/ATB based.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
FUSSNg3WAAsyZQt

Duraframe300

Arcane
Not one who worked at FFXV. That's very good news.

It's a good crew on paper. Directed by a SAGA Vet, Written and Art Directed by 2 people that have worked on basically every Game in the Ivalice Setting (From Tactics over Vagrant Story to 12) and aided by more recent hires that can count themselves among the few staff that haven't embarrassed Square in the past 10+ years.

Of course, pedigree isn't everything and we at the codex know that better than anyone, but it's at least enough for me to give some benefit of the doubt.

Machocruz

Arcane
To me, damage numbers popping up are pointless in an action game where enemy HP goes up to the tens of thousands, and there are no or insignificant random damage rolls, and even if there were it wouldn't matter anyway because lethality is (probably ) so low that doing minimum or max damage on an attack makes no difference because you are not any any risk of things going bad the longer the fight goes on. Also the way they have the numbers popping up over the action is bad presentation, better to have a damage bar like Dragon's Dogma and Souls.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Not one who worked at FFXV. That's very good news.
The combat director Ryota Suzuki worked on the game design of Dragon's Dogma, although with the curious title "gameplay player lead", which apparently was underneath the lead for game design and two people with the title "gameplay lead", while on the same level as the "gameplay AI lead", "enemies lead" (two people), "quests lead" (two people), "quests objects lead", and "user interface lead". Still promising. :M

Rafidur

Learned
From FF7 on you have fancy cutscene summons, like a space dragon blowing up the planet with an orbital laser or sephiroth destroying the solar system. FFXII also had your dudes take the enemy to another dimension and pummel them with meteors, the big bang, whatever for minutes. Even the spinoffs are over the top (type-0 spoilers). It's not a new thing.

I'd say that FF9 is where the cutscenes and the spectacle began to thoroughly outstrip the actual gameplay and exploration. You can't walk 5 steps without becoming trapped in a cutscene. In FF7 once you're out of Midgar you can go anywhere. In FF9 you're completely on rails until 4 hours into disc 3.

Mojobeard

Augur
I'm just not interested at all at this point.
Watching the original trailer I thought it looked nice, almost FF 3-ish with the colors and clothing, and was idiotically thinking maybe FF was going back to its roots.
Then the DMC fighting started, there was no party, and the latest trailer's visuals were more and more like Witcher 4.

Yoshi-P isn't the director, but I can't help but feel that this is on him.
FF 14 reached its peak around end of Stormblood. Content and gameplay were as good as it was going to get, and the story was finally picking up again for Shadowbringers. Praises and hype were everywhere. And Shadowbringers did have a fantastic story, but other than that, the gameplay got simplified, patch cycles were more and more barren, promised QoL and etc. got pushed until later. Endwalker is looking like more of the same.
His promise at the relaunch of 14 (ARR) was to listen to the players and fans. But once they acknowledged he did good once, and the money kept pouring in, he's mostly dropped them. He can ride the hype and show the sales figures, who'd question him. Mass appeal sells, and that's what he needs to get to the top of the company.
So now we have a game that's just dated mass appeal. Jon Snow in Witcheristan fighting like DMCman with some Things You Recognize for the fans (whoa Ifrit!).

What makes things worse is making it so close to FF Origins, which went all in on both being a fighting game and being edy, and at least felt self-aware about itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom