Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Find me an RPG that does these things......

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
-Is isometric
-Has good character creation and skill system like SPECIAL (ie multiple skills and you don't level into the entire skill tree in one character / playthrough)
-Has real time combat
-You can play as a single character (no problem if its party based, but single character should be viable)

Only two examples I could find were Arcanum (that's not party-based, right?) and Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader which is my inspiration for wanting a game like this. The isometric part is negotiable but I doubt a non-isometric game would fall under my radar.

Trashos

Arcane
Arcanum (that's not party-based, right?)

Arcanum is party-based. But party-based games can usually be played solo (although I have never tried it with Arcanum). Arcanum's character creator is mind-blowing.

(Arcanum is also optionally turn-based. You can switch manually between the 2 systems.)

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout Tactics is a good example of that. While it's designed around party based, people do love to play solo with it~

Prince of Qin is another. Think of "Diablo-lite, strong RPG". And while the game designed around party, a solo player can finish the game, though it's only at easier level.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout Tactics is a good example of that. While it's designed around party based, people do love to play solo with it~

Prince of Qin is another. Think of "Diablo-lite, strong RPG". And while the game designed around party, a solo player can finish the game, though it's only at easier level.
Fallout Tactics is pretty fun solo, but it can be pretty challenging, especially if you're doing the ironman mode. I've never beaten the game solo, but I've gotten pretty far in it.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
:troll:
220px-DungeonSiegeBoxArt.jpg
:troll:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I'm not sure how viable a single character run could be, but sounds like Darklands could interest you. And if the isometric perspective is negotiable then you could try the Quest for Glory series or successors like Heroine's Quest.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Trashos
The setting itself seems very interesting to me, and the art style looks quite similar to Lionheart, although that could be my lack of experience and all older crpgs looking the same.
laclongquan
I haven't played any of the Fallouts yet, and I'm hoping to start one soon. From what I've read and heard, Tactics is an Xcom clone and having a 90% hit chance that never hits sounds too much like Pokemon to me. If I were to consider turn based, I've
Never heard of Prince of Quin before, need to check that out. Unfortunately not available to buy so can check it out sooner:cool: Thanks for the info.
Butter
As long as they're not loot based+M
Ol' Willy
Yes, that's the problem. I want the experience of exploration (like in Skyrim/TES) without having a whole baggage train following me around. Is that too much to want?
Lonely Vazdru
I've sworn off loot based games after playing Borderlands. The idea of a game that's centered around getting higher level loot just seems so boring. Unfortunately, most ARPGs are like that (ie GrimDawn, Diablo, Titan Quest? etc)
Nekot-The-Brave
Its turn based and looks like an Xcom clone though. And I haven't played any of the Codex approved Fallout games yet so they might be a better place to start.
HeatEXTEND
Hmm RPG with party size up to 8, sounds like it should be ideally balanced for solo.
Unorus Janco
They look ancient, even the new ones. The new one, Heroine's Quest is free to try though so I will check that out. Didn't think a new RPG would release as a free to play game. Thanks for suggesting another game I've never seen!
Rabbity_Thing
That was on my wishlist actually, and I've seen it on steam a while ago and also on here. Have you played it and do you recommend it? Reviews say its an investigation game mixed with an RPG with plenty of reading. I really like the artstyle though; it looks like Lionheart:Legacy of the Crusader or Arcanum but better.
Mr. Magniloquent
I forgot the series was RT. Will check it out but I wonder how a D&D ruleset, which is made with parties in mind, will work for a single character playthrough.

deama

Prophet
I've played through baldur's gate games solo, multiple times.

I've played through evil islands multiple times solo, but it doesn't really have a character creation, you start off as a set character, but you can develop him in any way you want.

Divine divinity, though maybe that's too arpg for you?

You can solo in dungeon siege (and I have). At first the character creator may look like you can switch between, which you can, but you'll heavily gimp yourself if you do, and it will be impossible for a solo playthrough if you keep switching, so pick mage, ranged, or melee and stick with it.

I solo'd Tyranny and it went fine.

does kenshi count or is it too sandbox?

deama

Prophet
Yes, that's the problem. I want the experience of exploration (like in Skyrim/TES) without having a whole baggage train following me around. Is that too much to want?
Divine divnity is probably the best fit for you then, it's basically a top-down version of elderscrolls, unlike those games though, divine divinity has aged incredibly, the art just gets better with higher resolutions, and the music was made very well.

Yaz

Learned
Was thinking about Divine Divinity, but the game ain't that good at the end of the day.

Although I love RTwP I've come to realize I am in the minority. TB generally sells better and people are looking for that. Just look at D:OS2 - a game that's more preoccupied to tick all the hype boxes than being an actually decent RPG.

One day, if I am lucky, I will play the best incarnation of RT combat out there. Maybe...

PS: solo Kingmaker?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Have you played it and do you recommend it?
I have and I do. It is an investigation game with plenty of reading, but it has an appropriate option to tell people to fuck off. You can just sentence people if you feel like it, who's gonna stop an inquisitor? It has p-l-e-n-t-y of combat though. And on the off chance you'll decide to get engaged in the story, you'll find that world building is quite interesting.

deama

Prophet
Oh yeah, I played through pathfinder kingmaker solo too, it was fun, similiar to baldur's gate, however there were 2 points where a party was absolutely necessary, you needed like one other person at least to complete a puzzle or progress through a story.

Yaz

Learned
I have and I do.

I actually looked up Inquisitor but the community's comments seems to be quite divided... I mean, at the end of the day I think the majority of people just want to sit down and play a damn good game :D, but apart from that, why do you think Inquisitor has a noticeable amount of negative ratings?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
why do you think Inquisitor has a noticeable amount of negative ratings?
Amounts of filler combat at certain points are truly titanic and it's made worse by the combat system not being anything but a chaotic click-fest. I personally worked around that by cheating and had lots of fun enjoying the story and the setting.

Yaz

Learned
Amounts of filler combat at certain points are truly titanic and it's made worse by the combat system not being anything but a chaotic click-fest. I personally worked around that by cheating and had lots of fun enjoying the story and the setting.

Ouch...

vazha

Arcane
Inquisitor maybe?
If he wants real time combat, boy is he going to get it in spades. Although it's technically a party rpg, soloing the game is easier due to the suicidal tendencies of available companions sans the archerbro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom