Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Peter, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Peter Arcane

Peter
    https://xcom.com

https://af.gog.com/game/xcom_enemy_unknown_complete_pack?as=1649904300

Show Spoiler
    Well, this is an interesting turn of events. Firaxis is making a new X-Com game, and it seems to be a proper strategy game, TB combat included, unlike the shitty FPS.

Now, if you disregard the fact that Civ V was kinda shitty, this sounds okay so far. Bad news is that it's gonna be on consoles. And it has bald-headed marines in it. :x

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. VonVentrue Cipher Patron

VonVentrue
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I see absolutely no reason to be optimistic about this project since the console editions are almost certainly a priority for the publisher. As a matter of fact, I'll be over the moon if this... "remake" (?) proves not to be a disaster.

^ Top  
  3. 20 Eyes Liturgist

20 Eyes
    A AAA publisher making a turn-based combat game?

Huge potential incline! I don't care about consoles or bald space marines or anything like that, I just want western studios to make more turn-based games.

^ Top  
  4. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Both the colonisation and pirates remakes were decent if underwhelming. I do not have high hopes for this one, especially without the Gollup Brothers being involved.

^ Top  
  5. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Heh, forget about this remake. Its sure to blow, as did CiV.

But on the other hand Paradox does a Syndicate remake. That is something worth looking to.

^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Firaxis made a console Civ game once, and that one was better than most of these PC exclusive strategy games nowadays.

Yup, this will be a day 1 purchase.

^ Top  
  7. damicore Augur

damicore
    It MUST have blond soldiers with guile's haircut and silver suits like those they would use in an alien cult for it to be XCom.

Consoles only? Fuck this shit.

^ Top  
  8. Ion Flux Savant

Ion Flux
    Project: Eternity
    It's unlikely to be a console exclusive release. It's just like everything else these days from major studios, "cross-platform" development. I predict a disappointing, but still fun game.

^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Newfags cannot into reading.

Either way, will this shit have something like a campaign, with story?

^ Top  
  10. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Remember that X-Com's visuals parodied the then current "90s Image Comics" look, so a parody of bald cut soldiers with shoulder pads and blatant cover would fit a modern X-Com perfectly. Admittedly, X-Com was a fuck ton more blatant in its parody and this looks like it could be completely unironic, but not the end of hope.

Wait it's for consoles? Well screw any strategy then. Consoles can do pure TBS just fine, but a "hybrid" (even just the "real time until combat starts" most non-X-Com turn based systems use can't work here) is just asking for trouble.

The best you could hope for is a Valkyria Chronicles clone, but a lot of VC's strength comes from the characters (Dallas and Jane Turner are awesome), which is incompatible with X-Com.

^ Top  
  11. Gorawala Educated

Gorawala
    You know, I've developed an immunity to caring about franchise rape. The only thing is if it flops, turn-based gameplay will be blamed.
    The la-la I'm not listening strategy isn't gonna work here. This will be shit too.

^ Top  
  12. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    I think people really need to let go of the perception that strategy games can't work with a controller. It's not the number of keys/buttons that defines the depth and complexity of a game (unless it's really badly designed, like those back in the 90s).

With HD monitors this becomes even less problematic in terms of displaying UI and graphics.

There are some special cases like the Anno or Civ series which definitely should stay PC exclusive, but Xcom is about controlling a squad team in rather confined spaces, turn based. I don't see how such a gameplay could get diluted by a console.

^ Top  
  13. Gorawala Educated

Gorawala
    I've seen my fair share of Codexers praise turn-based games on handhelds, so the controller/interface isn't the main issue. It's more the idea of certain target markets have to be pleased with a console release and therefore there is a compromise as opposed to PC only. Not that PC only strategy games can be shit too, but thats the consensus, right?

^ Top  
  14. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    Funny to see a few saying with all the certainty of the world that this is going to be shit when the only details we have is a piece of concept of art and a paragraph basically saying nothing. Also some people fail to remember this is going to be a remake, not a sequel or a game loosely based on the series like ufo aftershock or some shit like that.

^ Top  
  15. Peter Arcane

Peter
    The lack of a mouse is what hurts strategy games on consoles the most. However, that's really only a problem in RTS games, where your actions have to be quick. TB can certainly work on the controller.

^ Top  
  16. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    The problem is the mention of real time hybrid.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...bruary-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

"the interaction between the real-time strategic view"

Consoles/handhelds do TBS perfectly fine (at least for squad based) with the number of sRPGs present. They are however, irredeemably terrible for RTS (excluding the type where you directly control a hero unit and have people under you follow like Sacrifice, Brutal Legend or Batallion Wars, but that is also equally unsuited to X-Com).

^ Top  
  17. damicore Augur

damicore
    Where does it say it's going to be on the PC too?
    Guess we newfags are not into reading minds.

Yeah, tactical games can be played with controllers without it being much of a hassle. I'm totally there with you Morgoth, but HD can be both a bless and a curse, I hope this is not another case of "LOOK AT OUR HD 3D NEXT-GEN ANIMASHUNS" making battles a chore.
    The gameplay can be dumbed down by several next-gen consoletardation shit still.

We can only hope for the best.

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  19. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    I'd not really call the overworld real time (more of "Pause, issue orders, advance time till competed", though I supposed it could be what they refer to.

^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Or in other words...RTwP :smug:

^ Top  
  21. Joghurt Augur

Joghurt
    holy shit holy shit holy shit

If it's turn based, has base building and management it's a day 1 buy

even if it turns out shit

if it's real time with pause then fuck this shit

^ Top  
  22. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    In the press release and almost everywhere ? http://www.firaxis.com/news/news_detail.php?id=2011

You sir are a total retard.

^ Top  
  23. Gorawala Educated

Gorawala
    This corporate speak sounds like the kiss of death in a way. I'd really like to be proved wrong.

^ Top  
  24. damicore Augur

damicore
    @Marobug

I came and read a post where nobody said anything about it coming to the PC and I missinterpreted it as it being console only. Why would I read the press release?

Care to elaborate on my low IQ?

^ Top  
  25. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Gonna suck for sure. Suck like a five dorra Bangkok whore.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.