Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

mastroego

Arcane
Too long, even at 1/4 of Long War's length?
I think a certain length is necessary given the number of technologies and upgrades to discover. It certainly isn't a short game, but after a certain point it's the genre you may have a issue with, it would seem.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Quite possibly. Although it's starting to sound reasonable.
Does it actually balance properly for that length? I remember long war had an option to make it shorter, but if you used it the balance would go way out of whack because not everything scaled properly (for example, 50% of all missions would become exalt missions, because they didn't scale).

mastroego

Arcane
Quite possibly. Although it's starting to sound reasonable.
Does it actually balance properly for that length? I remember long war had an option to make it shorter, but if you used it the balance would go way out of whack because not everything scaled properly (for example, 50% of all missions would become exalt missions, because they didn't scale).

It's a good question, but Long War Rebalance is honestly a new game at this point.
By default it's half of Long War length, and the pace feels ok to me. Mind you, it *IS* long and I'll make pauses in the campaign. But the pace of new threats and novelties seems about right.
The modmod has been refined for years so it's a reasonable assumption that even the "doubly shortened" option is reasonably balanced. I would give it a try.

To be more precise the author keeps trying things out, so now and then the balance ends up a bit worse than the version which came before.
But OVERALL the modmod has followed a "betterment path", shall we say?
I've played several versions, with long pauses after each, and each time the experience felt improved somewhat, or even vastly improved.
With the current version I'm even satisfied with Gunners, finally.

Mind you again, it will require some testing of your own to find your own comfort zone.
Classic difficulty starts decently easy even for a new Rebalance player, I think, but if you don't know what you're doing you'll be outpaced after a while.
I *might* be skilled enough for Brutal, at this point, but Brutal surely requires a "sacrifices" oriented style of play, so for now I stick with Classic with a few Second Wave options to make it a bit more difficult.

mastroego

Arcane
well that's somewhat possible still, with a specific build.
Gunners have very low aim in Rebalance, but when they suppress their presence is felt.
It was not always the case.

Believe me, you need to use your tools effectively in Rebalance. Aliens pack a punch.

mastroego

Arcane
Ah, had to scratch the itch after all the talk, just played another mission (regular downed UFO).
Turned out to be an awesome mission, I got a double (quickly turned triple) pod activation (did I mention Rebalance completely reworked the pod activation mechanic?).
A stealth units pod, a Berserker and 2 sectoid pods with 2 Commanders.
Luckily I brought detection equipment and Flak ammo, the sniper managed to greatly contain the Seeker threat with those.

I got Mind Controlled twice. during the same, massive confrontation.
Which is brutal in Rebalance since the controlled soldier not only becomes an enemy, but he gets Mind Deterioration too with like 5 damages/turn or more.
You absolutely need to disrupt the control when it happens or you're seriously EFFED.

But I had Annette.
Did I mention Annette gets a serious Willpower boost in Rebalance?
Add psi-items like Aurora Armor, Conduit and psi-frayer and she becomes a psi-beast.
Slowly I managed to regain control of the situation and then there only remained the usual Outsiders to mop up.

And at the end of the mission Annette got rewarded with a positive trait, Mental Domination or something (another thing added recently in Rebalance, soldiers may get little positive or negative quirks now and then).
Apparently she is now more resistant to Mind Control - not that I feared it much, with her Will stat...

ArchAngel

Arcane
For me best parts of Long War and LWR is changes to Mechs. All the Mech classes and special attacks make them coolest units to use

mastroego

Arcane
Jaegers now get an auto-cloaking ability when they "hunt".
Did you try that?
Don't remember how recently it got added.

I must say, Mechs were always cool but with original Long War the distinction between the classes was honestly thin.
Now it's different.
Mauraders truly feel like crazy assault machines, Goliaths tank a lot, and so on.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Jaegers now get an auto-cloaking ability when they "hunt".
Did you try that?
Don't remember how recently it got added.

I must say, Mechs were always cool but with original Long War the distinction between the classes was honestly thin.
Now it's different.
Mauraders truly feel like crazy assault machines, Goliaths tank a lot, and so on.
That sounds like it was added after I stopped playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom