Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Peter, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Well only difference now is that on lower difficulty you will have a bit more time until game becomes impossible to finish.

I have also been thinking about going back to LWR but after playing PP it is hard to go back to a game that does not have inventory, rigid two action system and other limitations of Xcom1 engine.

^ Top  
  2. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Possibly.
    But it might be that XCOM's own progress will be enough to win this time (ok, I know!)

I will try for once the halved-time campaign and see how it goes.
    I will state again, this mod adds too many good things to go back.
    If ONLY I could identify a combination of Difficulty + Settings that'll make it winnable....

^ Top  
  3. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    As a general rule, you're right but as far as the X-COM franchise go, the end-game is always a cakewalk so increasing the difficulty further over time might not be such a terrible idea...

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Serus Arcane

Serus
    Darth, do you even know about what mod they are speaking? Seriously, WTF!? Long War Rebalance ! One of the main selling point of that (sub)mod is that difficulty curve is reversed, start being easier, end harder.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    I admit i have no idea, ideally, the difficulty early on should be the same as in the original UFO and from mid-game, you start to increase the difficulty exponentially but it has to be done in a way a fast run would be impacted, a run with average speed becoming way harder late game and a slow paced run nearly impossible.

^ Top  
  6. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    A brief (?) report on my new run with Rebalance.

Well a LOT of things changed since version 1.27.
    Now I'm playing 1.35..... and I'm already behind since 1.36 requires a new campaign.
    Facepalm.

Anyway.
    It's impossible to enumerate all the improvements.
    The (additional) work they did on the UI is fantastic.
    There are also tons of little refinements like the new mechanics for In The Zone. It was this mod, I believe, that introduced the requirement for a steadied weapon to activate In The Zone, which made it more realistic but way less powerful.
    Now, if you fire with a NON steadied weapon, you get at least an automatic reload, which, in the economy of the turns, is not insignificant by any means.

There are really tons of little adjustments like this one.
    Of course I don't agree with every single change: he keeps moving abilities around in the tree and some choices do appear suboptimal. But overall it's still incline and many abilities will be shuffled around some more anyway, that's for sure.

FINALLY I decided to play the shorter campaign (there's even a super-short version now), and boy, I wish I tried it sooner.
    This is a far better pace, even if it does feel a bit fast at times.
    But again, overall, it's a game changer.
    I'm playing on Classic, the second difficulty level (which led me to rage-quit the last time, even if it took lots of missions) and so far, I seem to be holding. I think the fix with the Alien Progress really is working.
    I made it a little easier with some of the Second Wave choices, but I did not activate ALL (nor just) the ones which reduce the difficulty. It's more about preferences, really, but you ARE able to further fine-tune the level of the challenge.

Also, I'm not downplaying the strategy game any more. I take it seriously now.
    I've found myself rushing critical projects or productions by selling meld and lots of things I used to simply hoard (even if it means not being sure I'll have them for future projects), trying to fulfill every reasonable request, especially the ones that contribute to the more pressing matters, and so on.

I've rushed a conquest of the first alien base by the end of Month #5.
    It was hard, kinda epic, but doable.
    I don't believe I've ever even contemplated doing it so fast. But this means I've removed a source of resources for the Aliens... two more bases remain, and I think I'll attempt at least another one as soon as possible.

I'm more or less swimming in Meld BUT after the base conquest mission I spent like 250 or so of it to fast-heal most of my A-Team (did I mention that with this mod you can spend 50 Meld to greatly reduce the healing and fatigue time?)

The real cold shower arrived with the dreaded Deluge Mission.
    I think the mod author even commented specifically on this one. The fact is that the types of enemies in this (and possibly other) mission are hardcoded. So to tune them down he'd have to tune them down everywhere.
    During the campaign run I hadn't yet faced a single enemy Mech, because they're very, VERY tough now and I suppose they'll start coming only later.
    But if you get Deluge, you'll have to face them, together with a lot of Boss-level grunts, and that's the way it is.
    I'm afraid I had to cheat (save-scum) to beat this one.
    PERHAPS it is possible to beat it even by simply having a runner sneak past the enemy horde and reach the marker at the end of the map. Placing juicy, sacrificial targets to draw the enemy fire away from him and so on. But it'd still feel like cheesing it.

Anyway, we'll see if it was just something limited to this singular case, or if the difficulty will start spiking like crazy again.
    Well the Fishing Village mission also comes to mind, I believe the issue is similar in fact, but I was still able to do it "cleanly" even though it was the hardest one up until that point.
    Anyway, I can't deny that I'm having FUN.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Well I got Confounding Light a little while after that and it went... bad.
    I'll try again tomorrow I guess.
    Shit.
    I know there ARE people who actually get to end with this thing.

^ Top  
  8. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Did it.
    One casualty, though, actually the first one of the campaign.
    One of the 15 fixed soldiers that you get by default with this mod, but not one of my A-Team.
    B-Team, more like.
    A painful loss but I'll suck it up, I won't attempt a third time.
    Keep in mind that even plain soldiers are a premium asset now, you don't just hire them for 10 credits anymore. Heck I'm even accepting country requests that pay with soldiers now.

Anyway.
    This mission truly is difficult. Maybe the one mission with an unforgiving, non-negotiable clock.
    You will absolutely need to expose people to direct fire in order to have a shot at getting to press the last button on time.
    Which I did, and soldiers got wounded.
    The one who got killed was unlucky though...got hit 1 one time in half-cover and TWO times in full cover.

I suspect even this mission has some hardcoded things going on, but I still managed to beat it without cheats nor cheese.
    So I'm not giving up just yet.

^ Top  
  9. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i still can't get over the use of simdollars. it's just too big an immersion breaker.

^ Top  
  10. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    In case anyone's still interested, a few more comments on LWR V. 1.35.

I think I may have a shot at completing the campaign.
    So far, OVERALL, it's been doable. Yeah I had to save-scum in a couple of INSANE mission (Exalt base, ouch!) and a few more times on the strategic level (also because I didn't really study all the mod changes before hand).
    I just completed the Base Defense mission and it was epic. First try I made a rookie mistake, ended up trounced, and had to restart.
    The second time went more or less flawlessly until the last batch of enemies arrived. Lots of robot and a psi commander.
    He fucking mind-controlled my Jaeger and I knew it was over. All those giant robots around my guys + my own sniper mech, and with the suspect that I could even find myself on the receiving end of an In The Zone chain.
    It was over.... and so close to the end!
    But then I remembered that my other Mech had the EMP pulse emitter.
    A tool I'm not even sure was present in the original game (or the regular LW, for that matter). Anyway, I never used it before, but did use it here.
    All mechanicals disabled, including my two own mechs, that means including the one hitting the pulse, but it was small price to pay.
    Bought the time needed to regain control of the situation and turn the tide.
    Ended the mission with several badly wounded soldiers but not a single casualty, and even the rookies performed admirably.
    Epic.

Anyway, there ARE things I don't like with the mod.
    Most notably the fatigue mechanic, which can't entirely be reversed even with the Second Wave options.
    In fact, there's no real reason to remove the mission lenght factoring, as that actually makes sense and adds depth to the game.
    But there's also the fatigue amount added to each soldier on the basis of the TOTAL number of missions the same soldier did before. This makes no real sense and works as a de-facto hard limit to the number of missions each soldier can participate in.
    Now, even with a full set of "cosmetic" mods I used to struggle to give each soldier an unique face and voice, but I still could do it for 4 full teams of all 8 soldier classes, plus a couple of mechs.
    This mechanic forced me to add more soldiers, which I decided to just explicitly name Redshirt #1, Redshirt #2 and so on, all with the same helmet and voice. It made it bearable.
    I initially didn't like even the Seekers' changes (they will MURDER you if you don't spot them), but I eventually more or less accepted that one always has to have some way to spot cloaked units.

Anyway, these are, all in all, minor.
    I can attest, at this point, that V. 1.35 is playable and a lot of fun.
    I'm playing at the second difficulty level, and yes there were bumps on the road, but I imagine that with the lowest setting, paired perhaps with all the Second Wave settings intended for an easier Air Combat, it might even approach a "casual" but still enjoyable set up.
    You may want to store this version as the author keeps changing it and it will disappear from the mod page eventually.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.