Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by boot, Dec 21, 2015.

1. boot Erudite

boot
    Fire Emblem is a children's game. Fire Emblem is boring. Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War is particularly bereft of engaging combat scenarios, the only thing that might get a Codex grognard to poke their head in here. And worst of all- Fire Emblem is anime. I can't push this game as some masterpiece, but it hits a chord in me- like an ancient fairytale I already knew but had forgotten.

And so, a strange, absurd, and perhaps retarded task I appointed for myself, long ago: to show this game to the Codex in a way that they may also see it and love it. Totally impossible, what's left is this.

[​IMG]
    Prologue: Birth of the Holy Knight 1|2|3
    Chapter1: Girl of the Spirit Forest 1|2|3|4
    Chapter2: Disturbance in Agustria 1|2|3|4​

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Aw yiss, a Fire Emblem LP!

Xenforo easily supports 100+ images, and you have barely 40. It may be photobucket acting up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. boot Erudite

boot
    music (open)

[​IMG]
    A devil's shade cast upon the world

[​IMG]
    Plunging it into the deepest darkness

[​IMG]
    And condemning the people to eternal grief

[​IMG]
    In vain we prayed to an empty heaven

[​IMG]
    Twelve gods descended upon us

[​IMG]
    To lead the charge against great evil.

[​IMG]
    Casting a greater light, smiting the devil

[​IMG]
    and granting us hope once more

[​IMG]
    the world and it's people were thus reborn.

[​IMG]
    And so,
    many days and nights have passed

[​IMG]
    and the nightmare is now but a legend.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. boot Erudite

boot
    Prologue: Birth of the Holy Knight 1|2|3
    Chapter1: Girl of the Spirit Forest 1|2|3|4
    Chapter2: Disturbance in Agustria 1|2|3|4

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. boot Erudite

boot
    music (open)

^ Top  
  6. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Welll then. Watching this, do carry on. :avatard:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. boot Erudite

boot
    [​IMG]

Prologue- Birth of the Holy Knight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] :
    “Please save yourself. I want as many of you to get out of this alive as possible!”

[​IMG] :
    “None of us are going anywhere, my lady. We’re here for you till the very end. Even if it means our lives.”

[​IMG] :
    “Oh… thank you, Midir. I’m so sorry to put you through all this.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] :
    “Noish, I’m going to go and see if I can do something. You’re in charge while I’m gone.”

[​IMG] :
    “Sir… You’re not planning on going alone, are you!?”

[​IMG] :
    “Grandbell’s military is already en route to Isaac. There really is no one left to call on. Verdane’s army may be full of barbarians, but it’s huge. There are bound to be casualties. I can’t get you involved.”

[​IMG] :
    “Excuse me, sir!? We were born into the knighthood and are prepared to die fighting! We’d be a disgrace to let our master perish out there all alone. We’re going with you. Alec, you’re with me on this, aren’t you?”

[​IMG] :
    “Damn straight. But we’d better swing by the villages before going to Jungby Castle. Those barbarians’ll loot the place, kill everybody in sight, then burn it all to the ground. We’ve got to beat them there and get the villages to strengthen their defenses.”

[​IMG] :
    “Point well taken, Alec. We mustn’t overlook our duty as knights to protect the people.”

[​IMG] :
    “Actually, Oifaye takes credit for that one. I tell ya, that kid’s a strategist in the making. Takes right after that famous grandfather of his, Lord Sesar.”

[​IMG] :
    “Is Oifaye in the palace now? Oifaye… you here?”

[​IMG] :
    “Sir, I know I’m not supposed to be here, but I’d like to join your assault. I don’t want to just sit back and watch the castle, sir.”

[​IMG] :
    “I don’t know, Oifaye… You’re still pretty young. You think you’ll be okay out there?”

[​IMG] :
    “I’m already 14, sir. I know I’m not ready to fight yet, but I can still help out. Please… let me go with you.”

[​IMG] :
    “Well, it has been a good two years since you began training for your knighthood under me. You’re probably ready for some battlefield action. But no fighting… not just yet anyway. Why don’t you come along as my personal advisor?”

[​IMG] :
    “You bet! Thanks, sir!”

[​IMG] :
    “Sir, have you considered leaving someone behind to defend the castle? It would be too risky not to. We would be finished if we lost our base here to the enemy.”

[​IMG] :
    “Hey Noish… you KNOW who’d be perfect for that job! Isn’t that right, Ardan?”

[​IMG] :
    “Why me, Alec?”

[​IMG] :
    “Because you’re strong, reliable… and slow! You’re the one, hands down! Hahahaa!”

[​IMG] :
    “Hrmph. I can live with the strong and reliable part, but leave the slow bit out of it, ok?”

[​IMG] :
    “Ardan, can we count on you? You’re the only who can aptly handle the castle’s defense.”

[​IMG] :
    “Alright, I’ll do it. But you gotta promise to take me to battle with you sometimes.”

[​IMG] :
    “Will do. Alright, let’s make our way to the villages, and then we’re off to Jungby!”

[​IMG]
    Our first turn!

The prologue is the shortest, most straightforward map in the game, but there are still a few little tactics to be pulled off and important decisions to make. It's not a hard map to clear, but as any FE vet will tell you the real challenge is in doing it right.

Before we go any further, let's take a look at our characters. I won't go over the fine mechanical details or how the stats work, I'll just assume you know. It's simple enough that you'll figure it out as we go, anyway.

Just a reminder, though, this is a strategy rpg. Characters fight in turn based combat on a grid based map, get experience, get stronger, acquire weapons and items to do better battle with... Basic stuff, yeah?

Sigurd (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some of the stuff on this page is unique to FE4 and requires some explaining, I think.

Leadership gives a bonus to all units within 3 tiles of an army commander. For every leadership star after the first, units get a +10 bonus to hit and evade. The leading unit also benefits from his own leadership, and there's no way to negate the bonus or lower it or anything.

Money is not shared between all members of the army. Instead, each character has their own personal gold. A big part of optimal play is managing the money well.

Characters may fall in love (!) an important mechanic. Lovers are also able to share gold with each other, an exception to the rule put forward above.

Finally, there are special skills. Special skills do various things. The ability to attack twice in a single round when Speed>enemySpeed, a given in most other FE games, requires a special skill here. It's called Pursuit. Sigurd has it, but most of our units will not, and most of the enemy units will not.

[​IMG]

The Holy Blood screen! (I really like how FE4 makes abstract story details and those underlying themes into concrete game mechanics. If I ever finish this LP I will write a big post on all the little things that make me love the game. I want to let everyone get a taste for it themselves, so I won't be hammering them into your head- at least not very often.)

Remember the 12 Crusaders? Any unit descended from the 12 Crusaders will have their ancestry clearly marked here on this screen. Holy Blood gives a boost to weapon rank and stat growths.

It's hard to tell from the screenshots, but there are two types of Crusader descendants. Direct bloodline descendants, and minor/indirect bloodline descendants (the holy blood dot glows more strongly for direct descendants, but this doesn't show too well in screenshots). Only one direct bloodline descendant is born each generation- usually. Direct bloodline descendants have greater stat boosts, and are able to wield the divine weapon gifted to his ancestors by the gods. This is the reason Sigurd has a * for his Sword rank. He's able to wield every sword in the game as well as a specific divine sword.

Sigurd is the best unit in the game. He's also the protagonist. Losing him results in a trip to the game over screen. He'll have good stats, access to the best weapons, and will singlehandedly take care of most enemies faced. He's not invincible, but nobody would blame you for forgetting.

Noish (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noish is a basic mounted unit. He can't double attack and his weapon selection will be a bit limited, but he's useable. He'll mostly be finishing off weakened enemy units, he doesn't do too well on the enemy phase.

Alec (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alec is faster and weaker than Noish with the same weapon restrictions. He can double attack and has the Nihil skill, which negates critical hits and offensive special skills. We'll need that in the next chapter, but it's easy to forget about him. Not a remarkable unit, but also usable.

Ardan (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ardan is ugly and unusable. The best use of Ardan is probably to manipulate the RNG by positioning him on and off guard duty and having him lose arena matches. That is to say, he is completely useless, at least if you're playing with low-turn count in mind. It takes 5 move units too long to get anywhere on the huge maps we'll be playing on.

[​IMG]
    And this is the smallest of the maps.

Sorry Ardan, but I cannot use you (except in chapter 3 to kill the pirates).

[​IMG]

Now we can begin. Sigurd targets the nearest enemy. With weapon triangle advantage, terrain bonus, and leadership bonus, basic enemy units cannot even touch him. The kill is guaranteed.

[​IMG]

Animations for this game are simply majestic. Too bad gifs slow the page down so much. I'll just tell you how awesome it is:

Sigurd's majestic white horse leaps about 100 meters nearly on top of the dirty savage barbarian. Then he raises his sword -and for an instant he seems like a god of war, eternally poised to deliver the mortal blow- and brings it crashing down like lighting! the barbarian clumsily counters but Sigurd deftly maneuvers his horse to the side, before delivering another lighting-like, fatal strike, before collecting his EXP from the vanquished foe.

Beautiful. Majestic. Like a Greek fresco.

[​IMG]
    Noish and Alec head for a nearby village. Each turn those enemy units spend on it they destroy a portion of it. Ardan trails Sigurd only because it gives us more favorable enemy movements (Enemies tailor their movement to ours, slightly).

So ends our first turn.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. boot Erudite

boot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] :
    “But I’ve gotcha now. Die!”

[​IMG]

Gandolf depletes Midir's HP in one blow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] :
    “Demagio, you and Gerrard are in charge.”

[​IMG] :
    “Where are you goin’?”

[​IMG] :
    “Don’t ya worry. I’ll be back with Kinbois and his men. Hell, we may even press on to Barhara. There’d be no one to stop us if we did! Make yourselves at home here, boys. Anything goes!”

[​IMG] :
    “Heh… you can count on us for that.”

[​IMG] :
    “Hey, you’re draggin’! Now pick up the pace!!”

[​IMG] :
    “……”

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :
    “Take out this bridge! I don’t want any of them Grandbellians gettin’ over here!”

[​IMG] :
    “Yes sir.”

[​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] :
    “She’s my booty! I’m takin’ her back to be my wife. She’s a keeper, wouldn’t ya say?”

[​IMG] :
    “Yeah, she’s makin’ my mouth water.”

[​IMG] :
    “You wipe that grin off your face! You’ll get your needs met once Grandbell is ours. Show a little self-control till then.”

[​IMG] :
    “You’re all animals… Dear Lord, please instill these people with a little decency.”

[​IMG] :
    “What’re you mumblin’ about!? We’re goin’! No fallin’ behind this time!”

Gandolf drags Aideen into the forests of Verdane...

[​IMG]

A very lengthy sequence here. Jungby falls and Aideen is spirited away, taken to be a war bride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] :
    “He’ll sure be happy to see us. You just can’t stay out of these things, can you, Azel…”

[​IMG] :
    “Yeah, but with the military on engagement to Isaac, Grandbell’s completely strapped! Sigurd and the few soldiers left in Chalphy are out here fighting for their lives! I can’t just leave them hanging…”

[​IMG] :
    “Oh really… I’m not quite buying your story, Azel. What aren’t you telling me?”

[​IMG] :
    “Wh…what’re you talking about!?”

[​IMG] :
    “I’d surmise that you’re all worked up about Lady Aideen of Jungby. I know you like her.”

[​IMG] :
    “Y…you’re nuts!”

[​IMG] :
    “A-ha! Face is getting red there, buddy! You little player you.”

[​IMG] :
    “Lex, knock it off! Now come on, let’s get going.”

[​IMG] :
    “Hahahaa… Alright, let’s do this. Finally, a chance to kick some ass.”

[​IMG]

Two young nobles from Grandbell's interior join us.

Azel (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Azel is another 5 move unmounted unit, like Ardan, so he won't be of much use. He gains a mount upon promotion, but by the time that happens the game will be nearly over for him.

Lex (open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lex has good Strength and Defense growths and develops quickly due to his Elite skill, which doubles all EXP received. He's stuck using Axes, the heaviest, slowest weapon type in the game, but it won't hold him back too much. He'll be one of our most dependable units.

[​IMG]

We'll be using them to clear the northern edge of the map.

I send Azel to the nearby village here.

[​IMG]

"Swords are stronger than axes, axes are stronger than lances, and lances are stronger than swords. Keep that in mind when you’re in combat. And if you find yourself hurting, the church is your one stop to full recovery. But it ain’t free, mind you. The going rate is 5 gold for each hitpoint."

Villagers like to chat with units entering villages. We get some basic information about the Weapon Triangle and using churches to heal.

[​IMG]

The unit entering the village also gains some gold. Undamaged villages give 5000gold, for every turn they spend occupied by the enemy villages give 500 less gold, after 10 turns they're completely destroyed.

[​IMG]

This is a nice move that new players would miss.

We can't allow Azel to take even one attack here as it would force him to retreat, and Lex would be overwhelmed without him. So Lex impedes the nearby barbarian's movement, keeping it from attacking Azel.

The enemy to the left of Azel will not attack, as it's AI prioritizes destruction of villages and there are still unoccupied villages on the map. These enemy units are also always the last to move on the enemy phase, so the nearby barbarian won't be able to use that tile to attack Azel from.

This allows us to advance on the enemy while collecting the gold with Azel, a unit who badly needs it. A new player might think that the mountain thief posed some threat and have Azel take him out, when he is actually very useful to us where he is now. With a little knowledge of enemy turn order, we're able to make the most efficient play.

How satisfying!

[​IMG]

Alec and Noish take a nearby pillaging mountain thief.

[​IMG]

“Here’s a small sum of money we all pooled together. Use it how you see fit. Please help out the other villages if you can. They’re sure to appreciate it.”

Noish collects the gold.

[​IMG]

Sigurd kills a few off on the enemy phase, by the road to Jungby, and gains the first Level-Up of the game. +1HP +1STR +1LUK.

The game uses a seeded RN system. Since I usually play the first few turns the same there is never really any surprise here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] :
    “I’m sure I can put my Live Staff to some use around here. I’m sorry to pull you into this, Cuan. I know I’m no longer a Chalphy, but I can’t just sit back and do nothing. On my brother’s behalf, thank you so much for coming.”

[​IMG] :
    “You don’t need to thank me, Ethlin. You know Sigurd and I go way back. Not to mention that he’s my brother-in-law now. Besides, I can’t have you fighting alone.”

[​IMG] :
    “I sure appreciate it, dear.”

[​IMG] :
    “Forgive me for interrupting, but we should hurry. The battle is just up ahead.”

Cuan, Ethlin, and Fin, join the fight.

Cuan (open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I remember reading on serenesforest that Cuan was originally planned to be Sigurd's Jeigen (Mentor/Guardian character, a FE archetype), but this idea was scrapped, and Cuan is something like Sigurd's most valuable bro. Very strong, mobile unit. 2nd only to Sigurd.

Ethlin (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ethlin is a mounted healer - and at the moment - our only healer. Essential unit. Can use swords, but we don't want her fighting. Who may heal the healer?

Fin (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fin, a rookie knight under Cuan's command. Has a very high Luck growth, as well as the Prayer skill, which dramatically boosts a unit's Evade when near death. We'll do some cool stuff with Fin.

[​IMG]

Lex and Azel get started on the northern enemies.

[​IMG]

Mage animations are particularly good. Very fluid with great SFX. Screenshot based LP has it's weaknesses.

[​IMG]

I move Cuan, Ethlin and Fin along the road to Jungby. They'll assist Sigurd in re-taking the castle.

Alec and Noish attacked the nearby barbarian, but this one is higher leveled than most of the others and they didn't kill it. They also both took counterattack damage despite the enemy having only about 10% chance-to-hit. They will head toward the center of the map to save one of the villages.

[​IMG]

Sigurd takes on about 5 enemies here. He gains another level, but fails to increase his STR. This will cause some problems on the following turns.

[​IMG]

The enemies standing around the castle entrance are scripted to not move, only attacking units adjacent to them. We'll see this AI a few more times.

These guards have just enough HP to survive a round of combat with Sigurd, this will complicate things somewhat. Had he gained an additional point of STR we'd have a cleaner capture of Jungby. I was tempted to restart here.

[​IMG]

Lex moves to join Alec and Noish at the map's center. Azel will continue west to save the village in the corner. The mountain thief we let live before suicided into Azel on the enemy phase.

[​IMG]

Cuan, Ethlin, and Fin close in on Jungby. Sigurd waits on the entrance of the castle to draw out the boss.

I move Cuan up to toss a Javelin at him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] :
    “ I, Lord Demagio, will finish you!”

[​IMG]

Cuan misses, but I expected that. Won't really matter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both Alec and Sigurd take a hit on the enemy phase. This could cause some problems. Sigurd needs a heal before he can finish this boss off, or he risks death.

[​IMG]

I send Cuan and Fin in to clear the two guards standing adjacent to Sigurd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG] :
    “We heard about your skirmish with Verdane. We’re here to fight.”

[​IMG] :
    “How about Lenster? Don’t you have Thracia to keep an eye on?”

[​IMG] :
    “We do. That’s why I only brought Fin. My father took command of the Lance Ritter.”

[​IMG] :
    “I see… Geez, sorry to drag you in to all of this, Cuan.”

[​IMG] :
    “Sigurd! Did you already forget about our pact?”

[​IMG] :
    “Huh?”

[​IMG] :
    “Remember the academy? We all met at the military academy back in Barhara. It was the three of us. You, me, and Eltshan. We were talking late that one night. And we took a vow to help each other out if one of us was ever in a bind.”

[​IMG] :
    “That’s right. No… I haven’t forgotten.”

[​IMG] :
    “Ok, then. Let’s get to work and rid yourself of this little nuisance. Don’t forget, Sigurd. I’m always here for you. Especially in times like these.”

[​IMG]

Clearing the way for Ethlin to fix up Sigurd.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] :
    “I was so worried when I heard about Verdane’s invasion. I’m just glad you’re okay.”

[​IMG] :
    “You didn’t think I’d lose to Verdane, did you?”

[​IMG] :
    “Yeah, but I heard you only had a few soldiers in Chalphy. And I know you, Sigurd. You are always jumping into this kind of stuff without thinking. Especially with Father being away… I knew I had to come.”

[​IMG] :
    “Heh heh… you’ve always had your head on straight, haven’t you… You know you did a great job filling mum’s shoes after she passed away. When you married into Lenster’s royal family, I swore we had a lady on our hands. But you’re still the same old Ethlin. Poor Cuan! Hahaha!”

[​IMG] :
    “Sigurd! If I’m a nag, it’s because of you and dad! If both of you weren’t such slobs!”

[​IMG] :
    “…Yeah, you might have us there. But we still appreciate everything you’ve done. Ethlin, I’m sorry you had to come all this way. I can’t thank you enough.”

[​IMG] :
    “Sigurd…”

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. boot Erudite

boot
    [​IMG]

And Sigurd takes down Dimaggio.

[​IMG]

Jungby is seized on turn 6.

[​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] :
    “Hey, isn’t that Midir!? Come on, Midir… pull it together!”

[​IMG] :
    “Uahhh… Sir Sigurd??”

[​IMG] :
    “Midir, are you okay!? Where’s Aideen?”

[​IMG] :
    “I don’t know. Gandolf was here though…”

[​IMG] :
    “Is that right… Well, don’t worry. I’ll get her back. Give yourself some time to heal up.”

[​IMG] :
    “No, Sigurd. I must join you. I can’t begin to tell you how worried I am about her!”

[​IMG]

Midir joins us, having somehow survived his duel with Gandolf.

Midir (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Midir is a very decent unit. Mounted, can equip some very strong bows, has Charge skill (chance to grant extra rounds of combat) which goes great on ranged combatants. His stat growths are iffy, but his weapon selection is so good it shouldn't matter. Won't be able to retaliate on the enemy phase, but there are better units for that anyhow.

[​IMG]

I send him to save the nearby village.

[​IMG]

Alec, Noish, and Lex finish off the last of the roaming enemy units. Alec retreats to a church, he's down to 10HP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] :
    “Damn it all! Go put th’ bridge back up over Jun River. Let’s get it right this time!”

[​IMG]

Verdane is not sending their best! It's an invasion!

Not good!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fin could have been killed here.

I failed my INT check, thought Fin had just enough HP to survive the two enemies within range, but he had just enough to get KILLED by the two enemies in range. Big difference.

Thankfully, the barbarian chooses to attack Midir rather than Fin. This doesn't invalidate my strategy at all, btw. Could have just left Fin out of range on the last turn, I think. Or made sure Sigurd got the 2nd STR level up, would have made this much simpler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alvis, commander of the Royal Guard, appears to the north.

[​IMG] :
    “Sheesh… Sigurd, you don’t impress me much.”

Alvis (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    :M

[​IMG]

Sigurd and Co. finish off the stragglers outside Jungby.

[​IMG]

I send Fin into the village, Midir finished the mountain thief off at the start of our turn.

[​IMG]

“It’s called the Speed Ring. Slip her on for a little boost in speed. Go ahead… put her on! Your enemy’ll have a tough time hitting you now!”

The villager gives Fin a Speed ring, in addition to gold.

Choosing who gets the ring is the biggest decision we have to make in the Prologue. I let Fin have it as he's nearby, and it'll help us Prayer tank with him in the coming chapters. I think Alec is another good candidate for the ring.

[​IMG]

“Jungby’s ruling family of master archers are descended from Ulir, the God of Archery. Duke Ring had himself twin daughters and a son. However, Lady Adean’s twin was abducted by pirates as a youngster. The son, Sir Andrei, joined his father on the campaign to Isaac. You didn’t hear it from me, but there seems to be quite a bit of friction between the two.”

Villager shares some gossip about the Jungby family.

Alec takes the gold, Lex will go to the church. We'll receive the incoming enemies here.

[​IMG]

I place Sigurd just within range of Alvis, who's been moving toward Sigurd since he got on the map. We need the two to talk before clearing the chapter and if we do this Alvis will initiate the conversation, saving Sigurd a turn.

Alec and Noish are on favorable terrain, and with Sigurd's leadership bonus they should survive the enemy phase, even though they're wounded.

[​IMG]

Cuan and Lex hold the road, as they wouldn't have had much chance to dodge attacks anyway. Ethlin and Midir are just out of enemy range.

[​IMG]

“It’s no surprise as the Chalphys are all descended from Baldo, the God of Light. If we just had Lord Byron’s Holy Tyrfing, those barbarians wouldn’t have a prayer!”

Azel visits the last village. He'll head south toward Sigurd, now.

[​IMG]

The enemy mostly goes after Lex and Cuan, who deal heavy counterattack damage. We'll finish them off easily once our turn comes around.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] :
    “His Majesty was worried, so he sent me to assess the state of the conflict. He also sent this with me. It’s for you.”

[​IMG] :
    “Whoa… a silver sword! He wanted me to have this? What an honour! Lord Alvis, please express my sincerest gratitude to His Majesty.”

[​IMG] :
    “Will do. By the way, I heard my brother Azel has joined your army.”

[​IMG] :
    “Yeah… sorry. It sounds like he came behind your back. I couldn’t just turn him away. If at all possible I’d like him to stay with us for a bit longer.”

[​IMG] :
    “Well, keep him safe. Azel’s my only brother. We may have different mothers, but he still means the world to me. I wish he and I got along better, but that’s the way these things go. Sigurd, I’m leaving him with you in good faith. Show him the ropes, okay?”

[​IMG] :
    “I’ll do that. I’ll see if I can get him to return home once we finish up here.”

[​IMG] :
    “I appreciate it. Well, I need to get back to Barhara to watch over His Majesty. Don’t let me down, Sigurd.”

[​IMG]

Alvis departs, having delivered the Silver Sword. We haven't seen the last of him.

[​IMG]

Sigurd will get a lot of use out of this weapon.

[​IMG]

We finish off most of the enemy and Lex finally has an opportunity to speak to Sigurd.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

(Lex is a cool guy)

[​IMG] :
    “Actually, Azel, that little punk… he dragged me here.”

[​IMG] :
    “You’re too much, Lex… haha. Does Lord Langobalt know you’re here?”

[​IMG] :
    “Hell no! No offense, sir, but my father can’t stand yours. No way in hell he’d consent to me helping the Chalphys. I’m here by my own reckoning. Sir, just so you know… I’m not here for your little mission. Azel’s just a good bud of mine.”

[​IMG] :
    “Er… I see. Well, all the same, I appreciate you guys coming.”

[​IMG] :
    “Well, we’ll do what we can. Those barbarians have had their way long enough.”

[​IMG]

The army defending Verdane's border charges once our units come within range.

[​IMG]

We push them back and I have Sigurd defend the bridge.

[​IMG]

Most of the remaining enemies die attacking him.

Azel comes in to talk, our last fluff conversation of the chapter. I'm going to try and get all of them while going as low turn-count as I can.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

[​IMG] :
    “Lex and I came to help you fight Verdane. We came as quick as we could. Please, let us fight with you.”

[​IMG] :
    “Geez, I could never ask you to fight. Does your brother, Lord Alvis, know that you’re here?”

[​IMG] :
    “Er… no, I doubt it. He’s back in Barhara commanding the Royal Guard. Actually, he specifically forbade me from stepping outside the capital.”

[​IMG] :
    “I bet he did! Have you considered the consequences of leaving like you did?”

[​IMG] :
    “Yeah, but… I shouldn’t say this, but Alvis scares the living hell out of me! I don’t think I live up to his expectations. I… I feel like I’m just a burden on him.”

[​IMG] :
    “Well, you have your reasons. I’m glad you came, Azel. You stay as long as you want.”

[​IMG] :
    “Thank you, sir!”

(Sigurd leaves)

[​IMG] :
    “Wow, he’s just like everyone said he was! I wish Alvis could be more like him…”

[​IMG]

Sigurd takes the first step into Verdane territory. Our objective, Evans castle, is within range.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We clear on turn 12.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] :
    “...Prince Gandolf’s got her.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] :
    “Verdane must have taken her away before we arrived. I hope she’s alright.”

[​IMG] :
    “Grr! I’m hunting those bastards down! We’re getting her back!”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] :
    “Sir Sigurd, your efforts in this conflict have been quite impressive! His Majesty is exceedingly pleased and has ordained you a Holy Knight of the Kingdom.”

[​IMG] :
    “I hardly deserve such a great honour! I pledge my allegiance to His Majesty.”

[​IMG] :
    “We gravely need your help in protecting these castles. You will be duly compensated. Of course the sum will go down if the castles incur any damages. Please continue to be vigilant in the ensuing battle.”

(All our units receive gold at the end of each chapter. That's what he's trying to say.)

[​IMG]

NEXT TIME ON FE4 (open)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Sounds like tasteful raep time to me.

^ Top  
  11. boot Erudite

boot
    :1up:

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    ^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    :avatard:

^ Top  
  13. boot Erudite

boot

^ Top  
  14. boot Erudite

boot

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. boot Erudite

boot
    Is this viewable? What will happen if I put 20000 more images on the same page?

^ Top  
  16. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    I think it broke..

^ Top  
  17. boot Erudite

boot
    Thank you for the feedback Azira.

^ Top  
  18. boot Erudite

boot
  19. boot Erudite

boot
  20. boot Erudite

boot
  21. boot Erudite

boot
    wwere

^ Top  
  22. boot Erudite

boot
  23. boot Erudite

boot
  24. boot Erudite

boot

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.