Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First DoW2 Preview in a dutch magazine.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
unfortunately no scans available yet but the dutch magazine pcgameplay that came out today had the first DoW2 preview. Some points from someone at the relic forums who got it:

- Uses the Essence 2.0 engine with Havok physics, all optimised for DX10 and multicore support.
- It looks great, think of the DoW intro but with a bit less polygons here and there (in terms of lighting and all that it looks almost exactly the same).
- Units also use CoH-like unit AI for awareness and pathfinding to find cover and such.
- While DoW 2 shares the same (upgraded probably) engine as CoH it won't be "CoH in space", while soldiers in CoH will ask themselves if flanking the enemy is the right option, in DoW2 it will be more like Space Marines asking themselves if they should use their jetpacks to jump over an Ork squad to attack them in the back. Different settings, different kinds of warfare.
- Preview only showed a destroyed city landscape, akin to DoW (but more detailed), other tilesets will offer deserts, jungles, mountains and other cities.
- Only the Orkz and Space Marines were revealed, more races on the way obviously and to be to revealed later this year (though how many isn't known).
- Co-op campaign for both the Orkz and Space Marines, apparently not for the other to-be-revealed races.
- More focus on making units and squads unique; every unit has got a name (at least in the campaign it seems), more details and more animations.
- Relic wants to give players rewards at the end of a mission like wargear (armor, weapons, rare objects); "Let's pimp out squads with cool stuff!", you will see these items in-game as well of course.
- You'll fight your way through the campaign with the same squads.
- You can't control more than six squads! I am not sure if this is campaign-only but the preview made it sound like it wasn't.
- The squads are going to be a lot more interesting than before though.
- A squad leader (one or several?) will need to survive if you want to complete a mission; you really have to look out for your squads and don't treat them like cannon fodder.
- There is a lot more interesting commentary from the units as well; if your SM commander is holding a Thunder Hammer f.e. then the opponent will specifically comment on that, Ork Warchief saying something like "Ooh, nice hammer, but mine is bigger!". The warchief will say something else if the commander doesn't have the hammer.
- The campaign lets Space Marines operate from a spaceship, you'll get a view of an underlying planet and you'll be able to choose from different missions (which are tagged with difficulty colours, green, blue and red).
- Certain reward items won't be useable at once in the campaign, so they'll be taken back to the SM spaceship for research.
- Dreadnought can now also trample Orkz.
- No sea or air units (though jetpacks are still in of course).
- Development team of 55 people has been working on it since September 2005.
- Release in early 2009 or later.

maybe i m reading too much into this info, but it has a certain "Dark Omen" vibe to it. No info on whether it features base-building or not so far though.

thoughts ?

personally i m optimistic. it sounds like its not "DoW with shinier graphics" or "CoH in space". like said, certain things remind me of dark omen (like taking your individual squads through the whole campaign ). hope someone posts some scans soon.

Oarfish

Prophet
Yeah, I like the sound of the small number of units that follow you through the campaign, much more fitting for most armies. Something other than skirmishing the same base locations for the dynamic campaign is really needed too.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
PCgameplay eh? I'll have to pick that one up then.

It all sounds fun enough. Since both DOW and COH were neat games I've got some good hope for this one. I just hope they'll havesome completely over the top missions for this over the top setting.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Mistake in those infobits (posted them myself as Togra on Relic- and GR-boards); it's in September 2006 that Relic started working on it, not in 2005. :oops:

The word "over-the-top" is frequently used in that preview yeah. :)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sounds quite nice and reminds me of Chaos Gate. If the campaigns (yep, I expect one for every race) have a decent length and quality I'll buy it. If not, it'll suffer the same fate that DoW had...

MetalCraze

Arcane
I would wish they went for older graphics = faster fps = less lags in multiplayer like they did with DoW, because DoW is one of those games where cool graphics is unnecessary.
but now it requires the upgrade. oh well.

as for everything else - I have no doubt that Relic will make a great game. They always deliver.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I don't. The engine DoW uses is an old pile of wanky bollocks. If there is any setting out there that needs a crazy ass engine like essence it's 40k. Bolters, rockets and lasguns tearing shit up, thunderous basilisks flattening the map. fucking yes!

The best thing about CoH apart from the magnificent gameplay ain't the graphics either...it's the sound. This thing will be glorious.

Fuck multiplayer.

Nutcracker

Scholar
fizzelopeguss said:
The best thing about CoH apart from the magnificent gameplay ain't the graphics either...it's the sound. This thing will be glorious.

The axis voiceovers kick so much ass it's not funny:

*laughing*

"Ohh jaa, we got der panzerschreck!"

and

"We can now view ze battlefield with the eye of an eagle"

And my personal favourite:

"On behalf of a grateful fatherland, in the glorious struggle - honour and blood. We present to you this iron cross."

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nutcracker said:
"On behalf of a grateful fatherland, in the glorious struggle - honour and blood. We present to you this iron cross."

This one almost always makes me raise my right arm and say "SIEG HEIL". It's so epic and awesome.

Also, "I want to see a gewehr in every fenster!"
"We are ready to push back the Amerikaner!"

Herrlich.

Nutcracker

Scholar
"Goddamn Shermans will open up like tin cans now!"

"This halftrack smells like volkgrenadier..."

After reinforcing a below-strength squad -

"Hey new guy...better get your shit together!"

Radech

Augur
- A squad leader (one or several?) will need to survive if you want to complete a mission; you really have to look out for your squads and don't treat them like cannon fodder.

aaaaaaw no fun in Imperial Guards then :P

but yeah sounds awesome, DoW was a great game, but nothing like Dark Omen - Still sad that they remain in the 40k universe though, Orkz with guns is still just plain wrong, and i want fanatics!

DemonKing

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
...it sounds like it's not "CoH in space".

Damn - that's the only thing that would have sold it for me...the WH 40000K setting and the original DoW do nothing for me but CoH is awesome.

Marder driver: "Pouring rain and an open-top roof...fucking great engineering!" :lol:

Kortalh

Liturgist
Shannow said:
Sounds quite nice and reminds me of Chaos Gate. If the campaigns (yep, I expect one for every race) have a decent length and quality I'll buy it. If not, it'll suffer the same fate that DoW had...
You mean it will go on to win several awards and become an instant best seller? What a horrible fate to suffer. :wink:

Anyway... I hope they go back to the same style of campaign as DoW1 had. The story was amazingly good for an RTS game, and if I remember right, they ended it on a cliffhanger that was never resolved.

The Dark Crusade one seemed like it was pretending to be a Total War game, but the base-building gameplay mechanics just don't work that way. And even if they did, the campaign map was still very shallow.

The_Pope

Scholar
The DC style campaign would work really nicely with a baseless tactical map and non-expendable troops.

X-Com 40,000 FTW.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kortalh said:
Shannow said:
You mean it will go on to win several awards and become an instant best seller? What a horrible fate to suffer. :wink:
Yep, just like Oblivion :)
With the small difference that I didn't play Oblivion ;)

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Dark Omen 40K would be the next best thing after a proper successor to the game. Even that would be too good to be true... but who knows, CoH was pretty awesome for an RTS, maybe Relic will outdo themselves once more.

Disconnected

Scholar
Jaime Lannister said:
More like Dawn of Bloom.
No shit.. But 2009 release. There's time yet to fix the lighting.

That aside, I was kinda hoping for an up-scaled Supreme Commander type 40K game. In particular, I was kinda hoping they'd give us a planet to make little fortified nations on, turn to glass, and just generally wreak bloody mayhem.

Oh well.. Maybe next time.

Hellraiser

Arcane
We need bigger scans. The campaign actually sounds good I just hope it has Tyranids.
The physics, mechanics and sound of the essense engine combined with warhammer 40k will make a great combination.

"Burn amerikaner BURN!"

Also they better get the guy who did the brit soundtrack in COH:OF to do the one in DOW2.

Herbert West

Arbiter
l0lerskaters Dark Omen 40k?? Oh wow, I am pleasantly surprised by the direction they've taken. A nice departure from somewhat starcraft-esque RTS that DOW 1 was, though I'm still enjoying it.
Good thing about the graphics- I want everything to blow up and craters to appear when my Whirlwind fires! I want blood and entrails and gore. I enjoy 40k aesthetics and if I would be able to admire it with more details, all the better.
But the gameplay is what makes me most excited. I just hope the campaign will have an interesting plot and not going to be a multiplayer tutorial. I don't care to much about tyranids- my heart lies with the Imperial Guard and da orkz. I would bet that most 40k armies will be added in expansion packs.

Oh and BLOOM!! HEADSHOT!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
skyway said:
they could have continued the DoW1 story-line. it ended with a cliff-hanger

Truth be told, I am hoping that the sequel will feature an all new, vastly improved single player experience. The original was severely lacking in that area (the campaign was bland, short, unvaried - horribly disappointing, to say the least), the very thought that the creators of Homeworld had sunk to such lows was nigh unbearable to me.
I haven't bought CoH yet, hence I do not know whether or not Relic has learned from its mistakes.

Frankly, I wish the game would be turn-based - Chaos Gate wasn't the greatest title I have ever played, but I did enjoy it thoroughly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom