Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First game/s you played on PC.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first PC game was a 2d mmo called Tibia. Speifically the 7.6 flavor. Would have been around 2002/3 to about 2006. Tons of great memories of grinding rotworms after school with my buddies
iu

I remember playing this with a pal in my mid to late teens, around 2005-2006ish

Farewell into the night

Was it sort of a clone of Ultima? Looks interesting from the screenshot.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Not on my PC - either Worms 2, Quake, Get Medieval or Unreal Tournament
My PC - Deus Ex demo, Worms Armageddon

Still didn't played full cRPG until much later (was mostly into first person shooters), with better GPU that could handle 3D games like Deus Ex. Why did I not played RPGs in different perspectives? Mostly language barrier (didn't know english back then and had no access to RPGs for newcomers) and had no source that would recommend something for me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I largely agree with you both, but King's Quest 2 is a particularly egregious offender. The first game can get by on its historical value, while 3 also pushed the genre forward with much more complex puzzle structure and plotting. 2 has nothing to offer; it has inferior puzzle design, is chock-full of sadistic "gotcha" deaths, no plot to speak of, and actually looks substantially worse than its immediate predecessor. The only good thing I can say about KQ2 is that it's the reason we got the excellent "Remake" from Tierra ("remake" in quotes because it's a completely different game, and probably the 2nd best KQ game period).

And while I agree that KGVI is the highwater mark for the series, I think the clear departure point in terms of a quality jump is IV. It still has some bullshit design, but the constraints and strengths of the genre are clearly much better understood IV. The progression of IV>V>VI made good use of iteration and I would say all of them are still playable today (provided you don't mind the text parser in IV).

I haven't played IV in 25 years and barely remember it, but V has plenty of bullshit design. It's tolerable though, and I'd say it was right around then Sierra started upping their game design wise.

How are those remakes btw? You seem to be saying they're very good. I downloaded them all at some point forever ago, but have never played them.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably Doom since my Dad played it often on his PC. Shit was scary that I kept getting nightmares.

Farewell into the night

I had the same, Doom and Quake gave me nightmares, and to this day I stay away from gore & satanic games. Man, this messed me up.

:Flash:

Arcane
All the first games I played were at friends/acquaintances of my mother. I remember how my mind was completely blown - I had never seen a computer before.
- The very first one was a racing game. Its most distinctive element was that there was tire degradation whenever you drove over the green (grass), and once the tire "progress bar" was full your tire exploded. The fastest car had the worst tires.
- Frogger
- Wonder Boy in Monsterland. I was at a friend and for some reason when we played a cheat code was activated (though we didn't know that), so we had infinite lives. You only had to restart at the beginning of the level. We played and played and couldn't stop, because my friend knew, if he switched off the C64, he would never get that far again.
- Lost Vikings on the PC at another friend, though this was a little later.

- The first game I played at home was when my father got a 4/86 and he got Epic Pinball.

I haven't played IV in 25 years and barely remember it, but V has plenty of bullshit design. It's tolerable though, and I'd say it was right around then Sierra started upping their game design wise.

How are those remakes btw? You seem to be saying they're very good. I downloaded them all at some point forever ago, but have never played them.

Eh, V has only a couple instances of bullshit design that I can think of off-hand, especially compared to the first 3 games, (failing to save the rat, failing to properly "prepare" for the journey through the mountains, the trial and error mapping of the desert), but it does feel fairly "tech-demo-ey" to me, which becomes especially apparent when you know what to do and realize the game can be completed in roughly 2 hours tops. I might even slightly prefer IV over it, but I think I'm definitely in the minority there, and I know some people (I believe MRY is one of them) even prefer it to VI.

Regarding the remakes:

The AGDI (formerly Tierra) remakes are uniformly excellent, with the particular standout being King's Quest 2+: Romancing the Stones. Calling it a remake doesn't even really do it justice since the game has been redesigned and replotted start to finish; it's probably 4-5 times the size of the original. They also got Josh Mandel to reprise his role as Graham (which is a pretty cool thing of him to do; he also did it for both AGDI's and Infamous Adventures' KQ3 remakes I believe), so it really does feel like it slots into the series in a very natural way. Their KQ3 is quite good albeit not as ambitious as KG2+, and their QFG2 is also almost inarguably superior to the original in every way. I whole-heartedly recommend them all. I was pretty bummed that their commercial efforts (Al Emmo and Mage's Initiation) turned out so thoroughly mediocre.

I actually (embarrassingly) have not played much of Infamous Adventure's remakes. I think I got an hour or two into their KQ3, but was coming off playing the AGDI remake and feeling some burnout. I've never touched their Space Quest 2 remake. I should really give both of them a go though, based on Quest for Infamy I'm sure they are quality products.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was pretty bummed that their commercial efforts (Al Emmo and Mage's Initiation) turned out so thoroughly mediocre.

Yeah I bought Al Emmo to support them and the adventure resurgence, but it seemed prettttty meh. Good info on the others though, the adventure I'm playing here and there right now isn't that great so maybe I'll load one of them up.

newtmonkey

Arcane
The first PC game I ever played was on my friend's PC. I don't know the title but it was a space exploration game similar to Starflight but I recall it having ascii/text-based graphics. I've searched on Mobygames but didn't see anything that looked familiar.

The first PC game I played on my own PC was Commander Keen in Invasion of the Vorticons, on a disk someone gave me with a few shareware games on it to get me started. First games I played on PC that I bought for myself were Ultima VII, Quest for Glory III, and The Legend of Kyrandia.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
We got our first proper PC in 2010, and it was just an old Pentium with 2GB RAM, integrated graphics and WinXp but very importantly, a CD drive. We still didn't have internet so the first games my brothers and I played on it were flash games put on it by the PC repair man who assembled the PC. These were offline versions of games from minclip and other flash game sites and though they were good, I don't remember their names. At that time, we were getting a children's magazine/comic called Champak that came with DVDs called Jogodisks which had stuff like trial versions and videos of some ''real'' ie non flash games and plenty more flash games. Those were great and my bros still have those disks with them, though I don't know if we can get them working now.
I remember one of our favorites being Kombat Fighters: King of the Cards : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR2-R-paiiI and Age of War : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T9p2MP6yRM

One day we found one of those demo disks that came with PC magazines that my dad got in a magazine from 2001 or 2002 and it had the trial version of Age of Empires 2 : The Conqurors. Playing that was the turning point because it was deeper and more awesome in every way than anything we'd ever played until then and sparked my and my brothers' interest in PC gaming for good. Since we were still quite tech illiterate at the time and didn't have internet, we wondered how we could get our hands on the game and made plans about what we'd do in it when we did. Eventually we learned about the tech, legal game CDs/DVDs, digital distribution and all the good stuff we know today.

My earliest PC gaming memories was on my brother PC back in 2004-2007, i used to browse a site which had a bunch of random games, some titles are pretty well know like:

Age of Empires
Flashback
Jazz Jackrabbit
Leisure Suit Larry
Prince of Persia
Stunt
Zoo Tycoon
Wesnoth

One obscure game that stuck with me the most was Heimdall 2: Into the Hall of Worlds:

Never seen this game being mentioned anywhere, it was a nightmare to find it again years later. I haven't played yet, honestly, the game looks clunky but i might be wrong and it's actually good.

We got our first proper PC in 2010, and it was just an old Pentium with 2GB RAM...

Your post did a very good job of making me feel both incredibly old and also giving me the warm and fuzzies. It's nice to know that there are still young people growing up who can recognize good games when they find them and don't have an IV drip fed to them by the internet/social media; gives hope that wonder truly can survive the moment.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
some people (I believe MRY is one of them) even prefer it to VI.

Regarding the remakes:

The AGDI (formerly Tierra) remakes are uniformly excellent, with the particular standout being King's Quest 2+: Romancing the Stones.
I emphatically disagree! KQII remake is, to me, exactly indicative of why I like KQV more than KQVI. Despite the ridiculous musculature of Graham's arms in closeups, KQV -- like the preceding games -- is not about a fantasy hero; it is much more about a fairy tale hero. KQVI feels much more like a fantasy story. It's not a black-and-white difference, but everything from Alexander's appearance to LOOK HOW EPIC I AM sequences like the trip into the underworld seems like a move away from the homier, homelier adventures in the first five games. I'm quite confident it is Jane Jensen's influence, story-wise, but also probably market forces, as Sierra was trying to appeal to a somewhat broader demographic by then. I honestly have no views on which is the better designed game. As a kid, I was largely indifferent to design decisions -- Sierra puzzles often felt unfair, but I just kind of put up with it. It's just about feel. KQV feels like the perfect capstone to a series of fairytales. KQVI feels different, and wrong. The goofiness of adventure game puzzles just didn't fit, for me, with the protagonist or with some of the epic themes. Even as a kid I felt that way!

Which brings me to KQII. KQII in its original form is a very old school adventure -- much more like a text adventure (and not a particularly good one) that just throws different goofball areas together with somewhat arbitrary puzzles and fairly low thematic coherence. It is goofy and random. The single thing that stands out as worst in this regard is Dracula, because Dracula isn't a fairy tale figure, nor are vampires fairy tale antagonists. (Obviously the Batmobile is even stupider, but the Batmobile is an Easter egg.) Yet the KQII remake basically takes Dracula as its cornerstone and then tries to make some kind of serious, coherent psychodrama around him, with werewolves and an evil monk or something, I can't even remember all the details, only that it was just like a 13-year-old's attempt to make a "cool" fan fiction out of KQII (and I say this as someone who, at 13, tried to make a "cool" fan fiction out of Final Fantasy III!). It utterly misses that the origins of the KQ series were not, actually, adventure stories (let alone fantasy stories), but fairy tales. Fairy tales are not really about coherent psychodramas with robust dialogue and rich characterization. They are about archetypes, magical artifacts and companions, a few outsized monsters, arbitrary rules to obey, etc. KQII is utterly lacking in that feel. If anything, it's closer to a QFG game than a KQ game IMO. It feels like a game made by someone who hasn't ever read a fairy tale, and after having them read to him as a kid quickly realized that paperback fantasy novels were "cooler" and never looked back. Again -- at 13, maybe even at 18, that would be a fair description of me, so these barbs are somewhat self-directed, but I just don't think that someone coming in with that attitude is equipped to make a KQ game.

When Roberta Williams made KQ2 she was 34, had two son (14 and 8), and had spent years raising them. She came at as simultaneously (1) a mother who loved fairy tales, and looked at them not as a childish pursuit she had left behind, but with the wistful perspective of a parent remembering the joy of sharing those stories with a child and (2) an adventure fan who had gotten hooked on goofball text adventures like Colossal Cave. It would be hard to find a more different perspective than the one Daniel Stacey brought in adapting it.

Sadly, I could not find biographical information for Daniel Stacey about his background when he did the adaptation, beyond this on MobyGames: "Daniel has been practising his craft since the age of sixteen, writing fan fiction novels ("Future's History: The Story of Space Quest XII") and fan games (King's Quest II: Romancing the Stones)." I feel pretty vindicated! :)

---

As to the substance of the thread, I don't know whether PC means "IBM compatible" or what, but my first games on the Apple II/c were Space Quarks, David's Midnight Magic, Choplifter, and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? All great games in their own way. Played Brickles and Ancient Art of War at one neighbor's house (he had an early Mac) and King's Quest II at another's (he had a PC). AAOW was the best of this bunch by a country mile. At school, Oregon Trail and some kind of trivia/maze game. Obviously Oregon Trail is a classic. Later, played Ultima V at a friend's house, and while my mind was blown, I don't think I ever really understood how the game worked. First game I bought with my own money was Wasteland.

Semiurge

Cipher
Wolfenstein 3D, Eye of the Beholder 1&2, Nethack, Rick Dangerous 2 and Golden Axe. The more obscure ones I don't recall.

Last edited:

A horse of course

My earliest PC gaming memories was on my brother PC back in 2004-2007, i used to browse a site which had a bunch of random games, some titles are pretty well know like:

Age of Empires
Flashback
Jazz Jackrabbit
Leisure Suit Larry
Prince of Persia
Stunt
Zoo Tycoon
Wesnoth

One obscure game that stuck with me the most was Heimdall 2: Into the Hall of Worlds:

Never seen this game being mentioned anywhere, it was a nightmare to find it again years later. I haven't played yet, honestly, the game looks clunky but i might be wrong and it's actually good.

I played it on the CD-32 and the graphics were far superior, although it could just be the contrast was turned up so the colours seemed to "pop" more. The original Heimdall is a bit more like a typical blobber (with minigames).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first PC games was :
xkjKZlXjfI23oazjd0luQ8uJ_BC90CpX8ieIlWcwtbtviTnlVQb5npH7zLxvv_KgNtW7FLTSHK5g6QQFdnAIKeI4L9fvbfp_QESNLFBNgkcUPpYXTT1x

screen_5cc871c16221c.jpg

Steel Panthers

But it took me 8 years of pretending to want to program to get access to my dad's PC.

Before that, I started with Space Invaders on his TRS80:

images

Then we got our Atari. My first games were pretty mediocre:

f82d0f04be6e7e5196d5bff819bf2041.png

TMNT.

Shadow of the beast, atrocious Amiga port:
maxresdefault.jpg

They just replaced the missing colors on the Atari palette with shades of green...

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Electro Body (a.k.a. Electroman) and Space Quest 2 on a computer at school. Same place when where I started learning DOS and basics of programming. SQ2 I have especially fond memories of, as it made me learn many English words.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Well i played games on others' PCs before i acquired my own PC. And if we include Amiga as a personal computer gaming machine, then that is many years before i got my own. I had a friend when i was little who owned an Amiga and we played together.

In any case, the first game on my own PC was Doom II. Alongside Conquest of the New World, Theme Hospital, and Fallout 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom