Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First game/s you played on PC.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
There was this isometric game with a spintop where you had to cross rooms, can't remember the games name, I am getting old.

Probably Spindizzy Worlds.

Yup, that one was it, thanks mate.

EDIT: Correction, I am pretty sure i played "spindizzy" the predecessor but well I was basically still in diapers at that point so who knows.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roberta and Ken Williams were good businesspeople and knew that using fancy graphics (for their time - as primitive as the KQ games look to us today, back in the day the graphics were considered amazing on a PC) would capture a large casual audience, but they were utter shit as game designers.

I don't think Ken did any actual game design and Roberta most likely also did very little -if any- business-ing. AFAIK, based on the Hackers book (the last chapter of which focuses on the then still young games industry, mainly Sierra and Broderbund), Roberta basically got seriously hooked on a text adventure game (IIRC she basically neglected everything around her) - which included all those "bad design" elements, but she saw the entire game as a puzzle to be solved and not just the individual beats/story - and decided to make her own game like it. And she basically kept making games like those she liked, brutal "unfair" puzzles and all, which at least to me sounds more "genuine" than what i'd expect a business-driven designer to do.

Luka-boy

Arcane
The very first one?

Dunno why my uncle thought that was an appropriate game to install for a five years old kid, but I'm still thankful. He also installed Their Finest Hour and Monkey Island 2, Battle Chess and Centurion.
:love:

Dyspaire

Cipher
First video game was Pong. The Pong console released in 1972. Family got it for Christmas in '73.

First computer game was Temple of Apshai in 1979 on the Commodore Pet. After a couple of years of nascent D&D pnp, it blew my young mind.

First x86 PC game was probably Rogue or Zork around 1981. Demon's Winter in there early too, I remember.

First time I bought a new computer specifically to play upcoming games was 1990 for Ultima 6, King's Quest 5, and Wing Commander.

Those games were the Crysis of their time, hardware-wise. 386-33Mhz, 1MB of Ram, 40MB Hard Drive, VGA video card with 1MB of Ram, Sound Blaster...

Good Times.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
As mentioned in another topic (how any of these damn "First Game You Eva Played!" threads are there on the 'dex anyway??!), my very first time fingering an IBM PC keyboard for the purpose of gaming was in the computer room of my local state college, and it was this:

https://imgur.com/t/tetris/vx3kJkH

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Augur
Despite the ridiculous musculature of Graham's arms in closeups, KQV -- like the preceding games -- is not about a fantasy hero; it is much more about a fairy tale hero. ... KQV feels like the perfect capstone to a series of fairytales. KQVI feels different, and wrong. The goofiness of adventure game puzzles just didn't fit, for me, with the protagonist or with some of the epic themes.
uor2v1mq2ksd.png

JDR13

Arcane
We got our first proper PC in 2010, and it was just an old Pentium with 2GB RAM, integrated graphics and WinXp but very importantly, a CD drive. We still didn't have internet so the first games my brothers and I played on it were flash games put on it by the PC repair man who assembled the PC.

Damn bro, where do you live? Zimbabwe?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It must have been one from before we had color graphics. Maybe it was Joan of Arc: Siege and the Sword, which was like a Cinemaware game except where the French were the good guys.

558322-joan-of-arc-siege-the-sword-dos-screenshot-battle-ega.png

Would have been a hell of a lot better on an Amiga.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
We got our first proper PC in 2010, and it was just an old Pentium with 2GB RAM, integrated graphics and WinXp but very importantly, a CD drive. We still didn't have internet so the first games my brothers and I played on it were flash games put on it by the PC repair man who assembled the PC.

Damn bro, where do you live? Zimbabwe?
India, we were still moving around / shifting houses back then and internet wasn't (considered)very important.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I remember when I used to visit my uncle's and sneak offz to play Doom on his pc. Simpler times.
I think Tiberian Sun was the first game I bought and played on my own pc.

Ghostar

Literate
It must have been one from before we had color graphics. Maybe it was Joan of Arc: Siege and the Sword, which was like a Cinemaware game except where the French were the good guys.

558322-joan-of-arc-siege-the-sword-dos-screenshot-battle-ega.png

Would have been a hell of a lot better on an Amiga.
This game was great.
It made me learn about the 100 years war

Enviado desde mi SM-G973F mediante Tapatalk

mkultra

Augur
I switched to PC when Amiga was considered the best gaming computer, around 90-91 i believe.. i understood early that this was going to change in the coming years..

Pretty sure the first game i got was Leisure Suite Larry, which i had played on Amiga too. Prince of Persia was great too. Remember hating the PC speaker sound though, took a while before i could eventually get a 8-bit Sound Blaster card (immense upgrade in comparison to PC speaker sound).

The PC was extremely expensive i payed $1400 or something like that, i must have been around 16, perhaps 17 (worked as a painter then), was still living at my parents place so i could save up some money.

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister
Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood. Played on an IBM XT in glorious green monochrome.

Considering the screenshot that was probably for the best :-P.
Nope. You can clearly see that this game was created for composite CGA signal.

CGA games look bad on EGA / VGA cards, which are not fully compatible, but would look as good as anything at the time on composite NTSC.

The first games I've ever played were definitely that DOS Prince of Persia, and that shitty Colgate game lmao.

Didn't even know it had colors. Either that, or in another place, that amazing game Superfrog with a joystick, not sure which came first. As for my own PC, special mention goes to Gex and Worms Armageddon.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I am not 100% sure as i was too young at that time, but i think it's either this:

DOS_01.gif

Or this:

%D0%A1%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%88%D0%BE%D1%82_%D0%B8%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B5_%D0%A7%D1%83%D0%B4%D0%B5%D1%81_%28%D0%92%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC_%D0%91%D0%B0%D1%88%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%2C_1993%29.png

But if we discard various DOS shovelware, the first game i properly played was Dune 2. I also played Prince of Persia, but i think it was after Dune 2, though i am not 100% sure.

02.png

ac80563a54c4ec13ca5890a7a51b6444.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nope. You can clearly see that this game was created for composite CGA signal.

Composite CGA monitors weren't that common though, most CGA adapters were connected to RGB monitors (that often could be used with other adapters since RGB monitors were already a standard even before IBM PC) and jazzotron mentioned that he played the game on a green one (monochrome CGA monitors often took RGB signals).

I actually have an original IBM CGA monitor on a CGA adapter, it looks pretty much the same as it'd be on an EGA or VGA monitor (though without the scanline doubling common in later VGA monitors):

M3gKlfA.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom