Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First game you played meant for adults that you failed at (even though you were an adult)?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
For me it was MicroProse's Conflict in Vietnam for the C64 oh so many years ago. I had been successfully completing with ease fairly adult and difficult games like Pool of Radiance and Dragon Wars previously, along with simulations like Red Storm Rising and Project Stealth Fighter, so I felt I was obviously a genius and no game was too difficult. "Bring on your best, hardcore computer sim world! I'm READY!" was my war cry. Then I played Conflict in Vietnam. I was brought to my knees like the lowly occidental dog I actually was. What about you? What was your first humbling experience in gaming when you realized your brain was half the size you originally thought?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Leisure Suit Larry.

I remember my nephew telling me how he use to try to play this on his ex-in-laws old Radio Shack Tandy 286-based computer (which I ended up getting from them as my first IBM-compatible PC) and he used to complain to me: "It's haaaaaard!" I think it pretty much vaccinated him against and cured him of becoming a future PC gamer though he would eventually fall victim to severe consoltardation and is now, along with his two boys, a fully devolved Fortnite monkey, poor things.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, my gaming buddy and I couldn't even get into the game proper, because we failed the age check questions. I guess the questions were rather unfair to two simple nerds not of the Anglo-Saxon persuation...
We didn't try very hard, though.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, my gaming buddy and I couldn't even get into the game proper, because we failed the age check questions. I guess the questions were rather unfair to two simple nerds not of the Anglo-Saxon persuation...
We didn't try very hard, though.
Well me and my buddy did manage to pass the questions, but then we caught AIDS from a crack whore and died. That taught us how important is the use of condoms when fucking whores. Larry was a very didactic game.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Tough call. Most of us are old enough I’d venture that a game designed for kids was probably harder than anything adult focused. Probably the main issue was that I wasn’t smart or patient enough for anything with puzzle gameplay.

I do remember as a wee tiny one of five or six playing my first RPG and barely being able to read so I thought “Sell” at a vendor meant “Sale” (as in cheaper than normal) so I sold all my starting equipment and then died to everything outside.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One of the first RPGs I played as a kid was Betrayal at Krondor, and I remember the mechanics and endless paragraphs of text were too much for my 13 year old self to deal with. My next attempt was Lands of Lore a while later, which was easier to come to grips with and I very much enjoyed. I don't think I beat it though. I didn't get super hooked on RPGs until Baldur's Gate and Fallout 1, when I was a little older, and I had no problem with those.

I remember Monkey Island 2 breaking my brain as an 11 year old, and then again a few years later when I tried it again. Not sure I ever beat that until the internet came around with its walkthroughs. I did beat a lot of other Lucas Arts adventure games though, and stuff like the Tex Murphy games and King's/Space/Police Quests. Something about MI2 just baffled me.

Pooh's Baseball

This one I think.

Nobunagas_ambition_gen.jpg

(Wait, Mega Enhanced Mouse? I'll have to look that up later...)

But Koei's Historical Simulation series as a whole makes my epeen feel very small. Bonus points for warring kingdoms era which is impenetrable enough with the anime presentation of Dynasty Warriors, and you expect me to keep up with this kinda shit?

ss_e479ef1c5b89d75d4ab9a891f1110f732159fe21.600x338.jpg

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Dragon Age 2. It was a very hard game, even on Game Journalist difficulty.
Bioware set the bar far too high for that game!

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
A lot of the later, and some of the earlier levels in Oxyd for the Atari ST.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There was a sci-fi themed game for the C64 called Omega by Origin Systems. You had to construct these battle bot tanks with advanced AI or something and put them in an arena to fight. The manual was 1" thick and you literally had to learn a programming language invented just for the game to make the least bit of sense out of that otherwise incomprehensible mess. That was another one that made me feel like Charly Gordon from Flowers for Algernon before he had the experimental brain surgery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom