Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Sigma 2 gameplay trailer

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09 ... iden/50069
Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09 ... iden/50072

It shows Ayane, and surprisingly enough, it doesn't look bad. The only complaint I have is that AI aggressiveness seems to be toned down compared to the previous game, but the footage may have been recorded on a lower difficulty level. Not that far fetched, considering that it looks like the player is pretty rubbish at NG.

Check my post in the Dragon Age thread and prepare to have your buzz killed...or maybe only slightly knocked down. Depends on your feelings on a certain part of Sigma 1.

Or fuck it....I could get some copy-pasta going down....

Yeah...I'm sorry this is happening, because this does sort of endanger the future of the Ninja Gaiden franchise, but Hayashi has no fucking clue what he's doing, and I think I'm about to watch another franchise I liked go south.

He brought Rachel back as a main, playable character. And Ryu has a gun now.

958890_20090601_790screen001.jpg

Shark status: Likely jumped. I want it to be good, but Hayashi isn't focusing on the important things, and only going for gimmicks....like last time he was in charge. Didn't really like the look of the Ayane gameplay either. She's fast and maneuverable, but the enemies seemed slower, less aggressive, and fewer in number. Plus, her moves looked flashy, but it didn't really seem like she brings anything unique to the table besides unlimited incendiary shuriken (which is broken when combined with OTs) and a manual aim feature that would get you killed in Ninja Gaiden 2.....unless they dumbed down the AI.

The werewolves in Ninja Gaiden 2 were kind dumb, but I know they were more aggressive and came in greater numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1Onml- ... re=related

That's them in Ninja Gaiden 2 on one of the lower difficulties.

The ninjas came in much smaller numbers too...and they seemed a lot less aggressive as well.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Fuck. Unless they significantly change the way she handles or at least decide to keep her only in the mission mode I will be a very angry man.
And Ryu has a gun now.

958890_20090601_790screen001.jpg
What the. Slow projectile weapons are not fun. Kalina Ann wasn't, and neither will this cannon.
Other than that, I don't think a year and a half is enough to really deliver a quality experience with all the new crap they are cramming in. Especially seeing as Itagaki took most of the key players of Team Ninja with him (AI programmer, lead animator, lead designer, lead engineer etc.) after Tecmo screwed them (Team Ninja) over. I want it to be good, but I think it's in poor hands.
Now that I didn't know. I don't mind Itagaki's departure much - the core gameplay has been layed out, and you just have to follow the formula to make a solid game - but if people who were responsible for polishing mechanics decided to leave, this won't end well.

There is a video interview over at GT as well, and it says a bit about Momiji: she can double jump and her weapon has long reach. Could be fun, but if the core team has left, color me skeptical.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Looks like :skyway:

I honestly don't really give a damn about the new characters and weapons in this port (NG2 as is already has plenty of weapons). When I play NG I want to play as a buff badass ninja dude who can wield a large variety of weapons, not some completely unknown character with constant tit spasms (seriously what's up with those weird boob animations) who only has one or two weapons to choose from and was only added as fanservice. Fuck that. Also, what's up with the reduced gore? Weak sauce.

lol @ the gun weapon

Hümmelgümpf said:
Fuck. Unless they significantly change the way she handles or at least decide to keep her only in the mission mode I will be a very angry man.

From the trailer it looks like she is a big part of the story (as is Marbus...who was dead...I guess) and will probably play a role.

As for her being changed...I'm so sure. Most people liked Rachel. The Sigma fanbase is very different from the core Ninja Gaiden fanbase, even though they intersect in many places. I'd say a lot more people enjoyed Rachel than disliked her, which doesn't bode well.

What the. Slow projectile weapons are not fun. Kalina Ann wasn't, and neither will this cannon.

My problem is that projectiles already played too heavy a role in Ninja Gaiden 2 as is. I don't mind shuriken of all sorts serving as excellent backups and the bow being used occasionally, but there were a few too many bow-only sections and bosses who rolled over dead to projectiles (the nuclear armadillo(s) for one). I don't think Ninja Gaiden should make projectiles as big a deal as Devil May Cry, and this gun only seems to reinforce projectiles taking more of a role than they should.

I liked Kalina Ann though...but then again I canceled out the recovery time by quickly swapping to Ebony and Ivory, firing, switching back, and shooting. Very good crowd control, especially seeing as it can knock devil-triggered enemies back when used like this.

Now that I didn't know. I don't mind Itagaki's departure much - the core gameplay has been layed out, and you just have to follow the formula to make a solid game

Of course, making a solid game won't be hard. Even Sigma, while inferior to Black, still beats non-Ninja Gaiden games. I've no doubt that if you want to play NG2 and Sigma 2 is the only option, you'll still have a lot of fun. It just doesn't look very appealing to a hardcore player of Ninja Gaiden 2, and Hayashi's design choices don't look good for Ninja Gaiden 3.

Some of it does look like an improvement. That new dragon boss in the waterfall canyon looks nice, even though I didn't mind the twin flying dragon fight. Bringing back the imps makes me hope Fiend Ryu or Berserkers might get a comeback. But Black's Berserkers and Fiend Ryu...not the goofy Sigma ones.

- but if people who were responsible for polishing mechanics decided to leave, this won't end well.

Yeah, they're gone.

and it says a bit about Momiji: she can double jump and her weapon has long reach.

Huh....I don't see how a double jump would be useful in Ninja Gaiden, especially number two. And she has a spear right? Don't see how it's range is any longer than Ryu's scythe or lunar, much less the kusari-gama. I think it would be better to just give Ryu a naginata or something instead of making some dumb fanservice bimbo. THey can just fold additional mechanics into the weapons, like the way the tonfa have the heavenly justice cancel, which allows the player to input either the jump button or hold block and dash to do either a roll on a jump with invincibility frames and special properties that let you do stuff like this or this.

Well, if you're really good like them. I haven't gotten there yet with the Tonfa.

Fat Dragon said:
When I play NG I want to play as a buff badass ninja dude who can wield a large variety of weapons, not some completely unknown character with constant tit spasms (seriously what's up with those weird boob animations) who only has one or two weapons to choose from and was only added as fanservice.

Yeah I know...at least Hayashi isn't finding female characters who traditionally weren't tit shows and giving them the Team Ninja treatment.

Oh wait...

Also, what's up with the reduced gore? Weak sauce.

They're scared of Japanese censorship and ratings. Funny thing is, the Japanese aren't really that into Ninja Gaiden to begin with, at least not as much as the West. And seeing as the PS3 is region-free, Europe wouldn't have a problem with censorship either.

More updates with a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors and possibilities...all of which don't bode well...

First...from the internet!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=2073

That might not be true. I played the game today and it was plagued by slowdown that, unlike the slowdown in the 360 Gaiden 2, actually affected gameplay and prevented some cancelling and basic timing elements. Just dash + jump -> dash + jump felt almost impossible. Slowdown aside, her ninja star is slow as fuck, you cant cancel attacks with it, you cant block+dash cancel attacks quickly, and overall everything felt laggy and somewhat unresponsive.

I'm a huge Ninja Gaiden fan. Played through master ninja on NG:Black and beat NG2 multiple times for the weapon achievements on Mentor (played a little on Master Ninja, but stopped cuz it didnt seem as fun on that difficulty as it did on black). Even did all this again on the first Sigma. But I couldnt help but be really disappointed with Sigma 2. I hope it felt this way because it was unfinished, and not cuz Team Ninja doesnt understand combat philosophy without Itagaki

Obviously this could be total bullshit.

However, Ryu's gameplay on Acolyte difficulty has surfaced, and it seems like there are many less enemies than there used to be. Also of note, the demo showed that it could select either the Ayane or Ryu demos and listed the difficulty of each. The Ryu demo was Acolyte...the Ayane one was Mentor.

For those not in the know the NG2 difficulties go..

Acolyte
Warrior
Mentor
Master Ninja

...with big jumps between Warrior and Mentor as well as Mentor and Master Ninja. The Ayane demo was pretty tame as far as Mentor goes and the damage, amount of enemies, and enemy aggressiveness seemed pretty low. Considering Hayashi's statements on making the franchise more accessible (hello pressing R1 to point out the right way to go in a totally linear action game)...this isn't a good sign.

I'll try and post some more links once the Iberians forums come back online.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I was pretty surprised by NG2's difficulty levels (in a good way). I first went on Warrior thinking it was Normal mode. I later found out that Acolyte was Normal and Warrior was one of the hard modes. Got surprised again upon realizing the huge fucking spike in difficulty on Mentor. Good times.

I've pretty much lost all hope in TN ever making another great heavy action game, they're just not the same with Itagaki gone. Looking forward to learning about his next game though, one of the few developers I actually trust to deliver something good.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Especially seeing as Itagaki took most of the key players of Team Ninja with him (AI programmer, lead animator, lead designer, lead engineer etc.) after Tecmo screwed them (Team Ninja) over.

Do we know where Itagaki and his team went? Have they started a new development studio? Perhaps working on a new Ninja franchise?

The original NG (Black) is in my top 5 games of all time - I'm not even sure about the other 4 but I'm sure of NG - and I'm primarily a RPG/RTS/4x/Simulator kinda guy.

A masterpiece is a masterpiece regardless of genre I guess... :D

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Yeah, they've formed a new studio and are already developing a game for the xbox. Nothing has been said on it though, probably won't hear anything on it until Tokyo Gameshow or something.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
I believe "Tokyo Vikiings" is the name of Itagaki's new studio. Silly, yet awesome, just like Ninja Gaiden.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
the Ayane one was Mentor.
Mentor is the equivalent of NG's Very Hard, right? Ayane's demo looked more like Normal.

ha, yeah, I remember how surprised i was at how hard mentor was over warrior. like running headlong into a brick wall. what made it worse is i had gotten really sloppy, i was basically just running around mashing the y button with the fully upgraded dual swords and spamming the fuck out of everyone. in mentori got past what i heard was the hardest part of the difficulty, the first couple of levels (had a lot of trouble with the first spider guy, and the incendiary shuriken throwing ninjas accompanying him), but then i just sat back and was like... im not motivated to do this. i don't have the game anymore, but if i wait long enough ill probably pick it back up again.

whenever im bored, i find myself picking up black and playing the mission mode where you fight evil ryu who has dual kitetsus. good times.

on the footage: i also notice way less enemies, and they seem less aggressive than i recall. also, why are the people that demo these things not very good?

For future reference, and because i lost the original thread i found this link in, here is an interview with itagaki that introduces the tokyo vikings: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.off ... Id=3174393

im glad theyre not making a fighting game, and im digging their attitudes and looking forward to their upcoming title.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Man, I remember the first time I tried NG on the original xbawx when it first came out.

My brother - a casual console gamer, showed it to me once (it was his console) and I at first gave it my usual distainful grunt as I do with most of the console shit he shows me. Then he handed me the controller and dared me to have a go cause it was teh hard. Hard? Hmph, it's a console game, how hard could it be?

As I found out - Freakin hard!! - Gloriously hard! The fluidity of the controls and the astonishing depth of the combat hooked me like few games ever have. The beautiful artwork and atmosphere were just the icing on the cace. The story was meh - but when gameplay's this good, who gives a shit. I went and bought my own xbawx just so I could continue playing it.

Took me nearly 2 years to finish the damn thing - I'm really not very good at these kind of games - this was before NGB and the Ninja Dog mode, which I don't think I could bring myself to use anyway.

God I loved that game - still do. I still fire it up from time to time when I'm in the mood for a good ass-kickin (mine). :D

Momiji gameplay is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvrvKX7-_k

Looks kinda slow, but not Rachel bad. Almost like a cross between Rachel and Ryu. She seems to have ripped the counter move she does straight from the NG2 Dragon Sword's XX counter, and the OTs seem to be a mix between Ryu's Dragon Sword and the Scythe, though a lot slower.

I don't like how few enemies there are either. Even though it's obviously Acolyte, original NG2 had many more. With so few enemies, it makes the OT system nearly pointless. NG2 enemies were slightly less aggressive one to one against Black's enemies, but made up for it in numbers, pushing the amount of total aggression through the roof. The OT system was meant to help Ryu deal with more aggressive enemies, letting you kill dangerous (often suicidal) de-limbed enemies, and giving you a respite from the constant onslaught via some i-frames. But with NG1-esque enemy quantity, and reduced aggressiveness, the OT system is overkill. It also looks dumb as hell with the purple mist.

But hey, none of that matters! Momiji has assless?/thighless? chaps. I'm not fucking kidding....

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een012.jpg

Also...birdmen on clog sandals? Another enemy "inspired" by Shinobi in NG2? I guess one of the enemy artists (still) with Team Ninja liked that game a lot. I don't mind this...Shinobi had some interesting enemies.

circ

Arcane
Gameplay looks about as fun as taking a short dump. Still, nice physics engine - makes Bethesdas and BioWares look like a retirement home for epileptic retards with MS.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Just what kind of moron is recording these videos? If you're fighting fast opponents with a slower weapon you should be relying on counter attacks more, a lot more. That was embarassing to watch.

Slobbergoat

Novice
Welp, looks like that quoted 30? percent "original content" is using the 4chan definition of original content by just taking existing levels and animations and slapping different models on things. Even Momiji's walk/run reminds me of Ryu's which looks fucking wierd given the change in gender.

On a mechanics side of things, Momiji's stick looks too similar to the lunar in playstyle and double jumping, unless it's done properly, could easily be overpowered defensively - one of the reason scrubbier players spam the izuna drop as-is is because the height it gives you leaves you out of reach of most enemies but the one you're attacking.

After seeing the broadly-applied dumbing down of game elements in the first Sigma I'm pretty much torn between schadenfreude and just ... schade? About the way the game's looking now, especially after the flood of gamefaqs babbies crying about it being 'cheap' because they have the reflexes of a dead ape.

Good show, not-itagaki-anymore-team-ninja!

Hümmelgümpf said:
Just what kind of moron is recording these videos? If you're fighting fast opponents with a slower weapon you should be relying on counter attacks more, a lot more. That was embarassing to watch.

Pish, real NG players fight with spammed guillo throws and off-wall Y attacks while turning the camera to the wall to decrease the AI's ranged attacks.

New Momiji video!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 142&ref=mf

The Good;

-Momiji has an Izuna-like. Makes her much better than Rachel already.

-Enemies seem a little slower, but still mostly as aggressive.

-The bird-warrior boss looks pretty well-done. Kind of reminds me of Rasetsu though, especially how grab-happy it looks to be. Still, not bad at all. I wouldn't

The Neutral

-Her ninpo seems overpowered. It kills three dudes, something Ryu's fully upgraded Inferno can do. I don't know enough about this, but I have a bad feeling, especially after Sigma 1's overpowered ninpo.

The Bad;

-Momiji still looks slow as can be.

-Enemy count is at about half NG2 levels and looks to have slight stutters still.

-De-limbs are just as easy as NG2, which doesn't bode well for difficulty. That was necessary for NG2's packs of foes, not so much for Sigma's four or so dudes.

-Momiji can UT in the air. I repeat, Momiji can just absorb essence and do a UT with next to no danger. Can you say "broken"? NG2 made you have to think about on-landing UTs because enemies would try to peg you with projectiles right when you went for an OL UT. Now Momiji can just activate her UT in the air, and not get touched. Hayashi's amazing balancing at work again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom