Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate First time playing BG2 - advice about difficulty level and settings

Difficulty settings?

• Normal+Max HP

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Normal+HP rolls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Core+Max HP

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Core+HP rolls

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Hard+Max HP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard+HP rolls

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

one_hit_point

Novice
With the whole COVID situation and getting a new job in a new place, I thought I'd maybe play a video game.

I picked BG2, because:
1. I heard good opinions about it,
2. When I finish it, I'll be familiar with AD&D2 rules and ready for PS:T, which I've always wanted to play,
3. I have BG1 mostly spoiled anyway, and supposedly BG2 is much better and doesn't really require detailed knowledge of what happened in the first installment,
4. I may have accidentally downloaded the wrong game due to confusing name of torrent and I'm here right now on mobile data xD (don't judge me, I have a copy in my parents house somewhere).

Anyway, my real question is which difficulty settings should I pick? Will core rules + max HP on level up be a good choice for a first time with D&D?
The idea of rolling HP and a slight chance of "getting screwed" with consecutive low rolls irks me a bit, however Hard setting seems dumb, cause it supposedly adds more trash mobs into the game, which I'm not too fond of. Normal on the other hand looks like modern "normal", cause the description says something like "enemies do 75% damage".
I've read the manual and played through the first floor of a starting map, so I know what THAC0 and AC are for example. However I have no idea what actually works in game - for example, theoretically low AC is good, but if every enemy has a really high THAC0 it's useless, cause they're gonna hit you anyway. Same with spells, which outcomes are decided by saving throws - I don't know how hard it is for an average enemy to pass the check.
I've played some RPGs before, namely Fallout, Fallout 2 (the former is better IMO), Gothic, Gothic 2 (didn't finish, also I prefer the first game; later is more polished, but unimaginative and the atmosphere is way worse), Morrowind (didn't finish). However, last game I finished was probably Metal Gear Solid on Playstation 1 circa 10 years ago. Since then I probably only played Hearthstone on mobile, some hot-seat Heroes 3 with friends a few times, some FIFA when visiting a friend who likes it; you get it. Admittedly I am legend-ranked right now in Hearthstone (it's the highest rank category, but places within it are numerated, so you can be higher legend), but it's mostly due to combination of average player being moron and low skill ceiling of the game (well, maybe not ceiling-ceiling, but you know, law of diminishing returns, yadda-yadda).

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Only thing that Hard difficulty does in BG 2 - is multiplying all incoming damage x2. So my advice would be a core rules for the first time.

Type of HP rolls is does not matter as much as it could seem - all companions recruited has limited scaling to MC level, all of them have several "versions" for different xp ranges with fixed HP values and first "version" is already lvl 7 for the most of the them. With the way AD&D 2.5 works they will get only 2-3 variable xp rolls and every level up for levels 10+ is fixed HP value anyway. Imho, no any drastic difficulty degradation with Max HP on since only player-made character will noticeably profit from it.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
non ee, max difficulty, max hp

the point of dnd is casting improved haste and chunking stuff

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I put core + HP rolls, but if you are the kind of guy that will reload to get a better roll, then just take core + max HP to save you the pain. The game can be difficult in some specific places, but there is nothing that a good tactics can't solve, and that's one of the biggest strength of the game. You'll die, reload an earlier save, modify your items, spells, etc. and go back. Hard gives you nothing more really, like someone else said it's just bigger damage and all. I've played this game at every difficulty setting, with every class, solo or in group, etc. more times than I can remember, and if you are just playing to enjoy it, just play core and that's it.

overly excitable young man

It's not really a hard game. You will do it. I believe in you.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Core difficulty is the only one worth playing, if you're gonna reload because of a low roll, go max HP.
But really, play BG1 first.

Just play Core.
Play BG 1 first. BG2 is great because of it's combat, which is great mainly because of spells. If you start from the first game you will have a time to get to learn spells whose knowledge is presupposed by BG2. You will also experience Durlag Tower and you don't want to miss Durlag Tower, I assure you of that.

Dramart

Learned
In my opinion is better max hp because you are like ten years to gain a level and then because of roll you can get shit like 3hp or something like that, no, suck my dick.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
3. I have BG1 mostly spoiled anyway, and supposedly BG2 is much better and doesn't really require detailed knowledge of what happened in the first installment
so you didn't actually play it?

how did you spoil it, you know the story? who cares ffs, it's not about the story but creating your D&D character (or better yet, a party) and romping though the sword coast

BG1 is significantly better than BG2, but you know what they say about opinions
even people who tolerate BG2 "writing" are allowed to have one

EDIT: also, take care that you don't accidentally play one of the false Beamdog versions, but the original (and skip any mods for the first time)

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Yeah I agree with people that you should play BG1 first. It's more like a real normal D&D campaign (almost normal). You can hexcrawl around the map just for fun, you have bunch of hirelings, etc. It's a cool experience. BG2 is more like modern CRPGs, with super epic high fantasy stuff going around (which is fine because video game handle this much better than TTRPG IMO).

Core Rules with Max HP is best for your first experience. Starting with BG2 is risky because it doesn't take long to start approaching the fantastical side of D&D. You'll be encountering creatures with spells and abilities that may frustrate you. Even in Vanilla (unmodded), the AI is better than modern games and you will be challenged.

Difficulty spikes should be expected. Neither BG1 nor BG2 are games for casuals. Be prepared to reload and take your time. I envy people who get to play the series for the first time.

one_hit_point

Novice
Normal+max hp is okay. But I see you understimate it, so try playing core. HP roll is for retards.

Am I still underestimating it if I plan on taking the first skill points roll that's 90 or above? I think I prefer playing strong character on higher difficulty to weaker character on lower difficulty, even if it's effectively about the same.
BTW I wonder how many people roll just once and play, which most likely results in a ~78 score I think.

so you didn't actually play it?

how did you spoil it, you know the story?
You know, just stumbled upon it somewhere. Just like you can get Infinity War or something mainstream like that spoiled pretty much anywhere, you can get BG spoiled on a gaming related media.
I know the broad strokes: that you are a child of Bhaal, that the main antagonist is also a child of Bhaal, that your father-type figure dies in the beginning, that plot revolves around antagonist wanting you dead and iron crisis created by him.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I still underestimating it if I plan on taking the first skill points roll that's 90 or above? I think I prefer playing strong character on higher difficulty to weaker character on lower difficulty, even if it's effectively about the same.
BTW I wonder how many people roll just once and play, which most likely results in a ~78 score I think.

Ability score is kinda iffy depending on what class you play, but do try to aim for at least a moderate 82 - 86 points I guess? Unless you are rolling for a very basic class/way to play your character like mindless sword and board or 2 handed guy. Even then additional ability scores here and there help. You don't need to be super tryhard and try to roll for 90++ but sub 80 is just making your game slightly harder for no reason.

Tigranes

Arcane
No EE, Core Rules & HP rolls is just fine. You're not starting on level 1 where a single stray hit could kill you. You might get FOMO about missing out on HP on paper but in practice you may not even always notice it. Max HP is also fine, really, if that's what you want.

A decent ability score, maybe 84ish, is just fine. My rule of thumb was basically the first one 80 or over.

I wouldn't worry too much, I played BG2 when it was released and it was my first exposure to any D&D ruleset. But just with the basics (low AC dodge things, high THAC0 hit things, etc) you can pick it up as you go.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
If you’re going to start with BG1, I highly recommend BGT, or EE, however, if you do play BG1 on a custom engine, install a mod that removes the additional content and restores BG1’s proficiencies and original spawns (Don’t use the additional kits and classes that weren’t in the original).

There is also a mod that restores BG1’s UI for the new engines and other graphics.

I personally can not stand the pathfinding in OG BG1’s engine, it’s awful. If it doesn’t bother you then just play the original.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I would recommend mods like ascension and SCS (for later playthroughs). Get the EE version and don't bother with the new characters and storylines. The EE gives you better paperdolls, moddable UI that works with widescreen monitors. Of course there's also option for Max HP rolls in the menu as well, using it is a lot better than save-scumming for highest HP rolls.

You might also try bg2tweaks mod to increase stacking numbers, making bags of holding actually bottomless, and other quality of life improvements such as removing that annoying 'you must gather your party before venturing forth' voice, and many others.

I would also not bother with Throne of Bhaal because it's too linear and you're just dungeon crawling. but you might want to play it once to see the storyline through to the end. thankfully you can finish watcher's keep (the only good part about ToB) while being in shadows of amn.

Tigranes

Arcane
No. Good advice to a first time player isn't "this is the exact setup I like the best". It's alerting them to which things are almost universally agreed on good ideas, after which they can make their own decisions.

EE is also not a remaster which has discreetly improved universallly identified technical flaws in order to create a definitive version. It is a case of a controversial alternative version where you trade a few conveniences for numerous sideways and backwards moves, including a criminally bad taste ugly UI to cringy 13 year old fanfic characters/storylines that you now have to look up and ignore (which is a distracting hassle when it's your very first time).

While many of us now use dozens of mods, there's absolutely nothing wrong with vanilla BG2, possibly with the BG2 Fixpack mod and Widescreen mod if you wish (taking all of 10 minutes to install).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Too bad that EE is required in order to experience the best actual dungeon(s) in the game which are in, oddly enough, Siege of Dragonspear.

Come at me.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No matter what you do don't touch EE. Both games are perfectly playable without any mods. For a second play through you can give the Tutu mod a try but some of the features make BG1 significantly easier.

And DO play BG1. I'd argue that it is the superior game. It has a much better sense of exploration without being stupidly huge and the combat is much more challenging due to low levels and limited resources. Also since it seems that you don't have much experience with the rule set: consider making your playchar a dwarven berserker in BG2, or take Korgan with you. Trust me you'll thank me a thousand times later on.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
BG1 is the slow buildup to the theme park that is BG2. My problem is that when I start with BG1 and play through BG2 I lose all desire in ToB. Its been 20 years and I have yet to finish it...

Also SCS isn't all that hard for a first play-through if you know anything about D&D and keep the options at the lowest level. Without it all you need is about 3 spells (haste, breach, dispel magic) and a bunch of guys hacking away to win any fight.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
BG1 is definitely a must play, Durlag+Dragonspear is great and it's just an enjoyable lower power campaign where the world is a much darker and scarier place than in BG2, I love the tone. Definitely think BG1 feels much more like Arcanum than Baldur's Gate 2, the second has a much more dungeons and dragons-ey tone.

Unfortunate that a BG1+Dragonspear+BG2 campaign is longer than Witcher 3, but on the flipside nobody has released a decent RPG for months because everything is delayed due to Pandemic.

hell bovine

Arcane
Normal+max hp is okay. But I see you understimate it, so try playing core. HP roll is for retards.

Depends on the class of your main character. For some, ability scores aren't that important.

Difficulty is also somewhat impacted by your choice of class and playstyle. In BG, if your main character dies, it's game over. But NPCs, you can resurrect in temples (unless they get destroyed beyond resurrection, but this doesn't happen that often).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom