Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum First time Questions.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Played a Gunslinger in F1 and diplomat in F2.

Wanted to go with something different in Arcanum despite the differences between the games. Mages are gay and I don’t want to play another charisma char. That leaves technologist. I downloaded Drog’s patch, is that all I need?

Can I go in blind without reading the manual or no?

JarlFrank

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'd read the manual about the stats and what they affect. Then you can play. You may have questions about crafting, but they'll come later.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went in without a manual and not being fluent in English back when I was 12 or 13, so you can do it too! :M

Most of the stats are pretty self-explanatory through tooltips. Arcanum's encounter design is more annoying than it is challenging, and any character can get through the game. But technologists are generally considered harder at the beginning, as they start out weaker and more resource-intensive than melee fighters, mages, and diplomats. They only begin to shine later on when they get the cool powerful crafting recipes and can make OP items.

Also, Arcanum is a game that pretty much encourages "multiclassing" since you get plenty of points over the course of the game. My first character specialized in both persuasion and melee and did both really well. If you got tech or magic you gotta specialize a bit more narrowly though because there's too many schools of technology and magic, and each spell and schematic costs one character point to learn. If you learn all of them you won't have much left for stats and skills.

Intelligence is an important stat for everyone, be it tech bro, wizard, or diplomat.

The amount of companions you can recruit is determined by your charisma stat.

Beauty is pretty much useless, never invest any points in it. All it does is improve NPCs' initial reaction towards you.

Just install Drog's patch and have a go at it. Nothing else required. Playing it blind is the best way to approach it as you can discover all of its cool stuff yourself.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I went in without a manual and not being fluent in English back when I was 12 or 13, so you can do it too! :M

Most of the stats are pretty self-explanatory through tooltips. Arcanum's encounter design is more annoying than it is challenging, and any character can get through the game. But technologists are generally considered harder at the beginning, as they start out weaker and more resource-intensive than melee fighters, mages, and diplomats. They only begin to shine later on when they get the cool powerful crafting recipes and can make OP items.

Also, Arcanum is a game that pretty much encourages "multiclassing" since you get plenty of points over the course of the game. My first character specialized in both persuasion and melee and did both really well. If you got tech or magic you gotta specialize a bit more narrowly though because there's too many schools of technology and magic, and each spell and schematic costs one character point to learn. If you learn all of them you won't have much left for stats and skills.

Intelligence is an important stat for everyone, be it tech bro, wizard, or diplomat.

The amount of companions you can recruit is determined by your charisma stat.

Beauty is pretty much useless, never invest any points in it. All it does is improve NPCs' initial reaction towards you.

Just install Drog's patch and have a go at it. Nothing else required. Playing it blind is the best way to approach it as you can discover all of its cool stuff yourself.
Informative. SionIV said playing technologist it was how to get most out the games mechanics and crafting system which I'm interested in doing.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
You get 5 skill points and they apply to everything.
:dead:

Humbaba

Arcane
Make half-ogre melee fighter, craft fire axe about 2 hours into the game, never worry about combat again unless underlevelled.

jackofshadows

Magister
You can but still, better read the whole manual first since it contains stuff not only regarding game mechanics.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You get 5 skill points and they apply to everything.
:dead:

You get 1 point per level up, but 2 points on each 5th (IIRC) level. These points are universal and can be applied to skills, stats, spells, tech blueprints. That's why I said you should specialize into one branch of tech or magic rather than trying to catch them all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom