Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO:L (not N punkasses)V: CONS & PROS

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fuck that piece of shit other game by that other shitty company.. this is wher eit's at. I will do a full review later. This thread is just for some quick cons and pros of this Obsidian game. Plus, this page needs less threads focused on that shit and more on this shit.

This, btw, is coming from someone who has hated the last 3 (AP, DS3 & SOZ) Obsidian releases. I'm 30 hours in.

CONS:

- getting shot in the head at start of game and surviving equals bullshit.

- this might be a 360 only problem but the darkness level inside structures is way too dark where you literally can't see anything. Brighten it up or give us actual light sources please.

- fuck of Ceaser assassin shitheads. GET THE FUKKIN' MESSAGE; I MURDERED THE LAST 10 GROUPS YOUS ENT AFTER ME AT THIS POINT YOUA RE GIVINJG ME FREE QUIPMENT BUT WASTING MY FUKKIN' TIME

- combat game play is fukkin' sloppy at best

POSITIVES:

- outside of the point above, the start is very awesome and sets up greta motivation for character and Goodsprings is one of the best intro areas ever

- character system is top notch obviously due to it being special

- writing is (mostly) some of the best ever. Surely beats the piss over the overrated DS3, AP, KOTOR2, and SOZ writing

- fanction useage is mostly well done

- lots of fun and interetsing character

- best free world game ever: 30 hours in with lots more to explore and most importantly, I actually want to see the different places

- very good use of skill for both reolsution of quests/dialogue and mostly decent reperccusions: chocies can cencel out other quests or lead to others

- i like the fact most shopkeepers actually have a semblance of a personality and aren't there *just* for shopping (most of the time).

- Freeside is a fantastic town to explore

variety in equipment is pretty damn good

- joinable npcs are awesome (at least the ones I've encountered) though I wish ED-E would be more interactive

- damn good game

- hardcore mod is fukkin' fun

My character is focused on energy weapons, speech, and science (tech geek). I'm pro NCR (laws cna help and any negativty in the organization cna eventually be purged), and the Followers for their willingness to help the masses and share tech. I have a softspot for the King and am annoyed with the Bros despite their love of tech because they are selfish assholes who need to be more willing to share their toys. Fukkin' jerks. I am level 15 currently weiling a the repeater laser poster and the basic energy rifle, and wearing Combat Armour MDK2. I own power armour but need training to wear it. My current companions are ED-E and Victoria. I also traveled with Boone for a bit and will eventually fix Rex for my buddy The King. My play through I have my character only eating clean food and drinking clean water. No poison shit in this body. Clean food is not always easy to find and sadly I had to stuff my face with pison once but now I have a bunch of clean food. YAY!

Stay tuned for when I finally beat the game and then I'll lay waste with my final fukkin' judgement.

Laterz.

Captain Shrek

:what:

How does this creature of retardry like DA2?????

The world is a crazy place.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
It's a good game, enjoy it, Volly. :)

Just out of curiousity, why do you insist to call it LV instead of NV?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Because, for whatever reason, when it was announced and others were playing it I never really paid attention to it because how much I hated FO3 so had no real intention of playing it and repeatedly called itLV by mistake. This of course cause great butthurt in the masses and anything that makes the masses here and elsewhere get butthurt puts a smile on my face. So FO:LV it is even though I am now aware of its actual name. :)

"How does this creature of retardry like DA2?????"

wut?

Morkar Left

At least you recognize a good game once in a while :salute:

Out of curiosity; how often are you drunk when posting on the codex?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"- this might be a 360 only problem but the darkness level inside structures is way too dark where you literally can't see anything. Brighten it up or give us actual light sources please."

Never had that problem on my PC.

"- fuck of Ceaser assassin shitheads."

I'm glad I finished before they patched it to make those guys show up once a day, I never ran into them once. Fucking Sawyer fucking up his own game for pacifists.

Anyway glad you finally found another Obsidian game to like Teddy Bear.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Prediction: Volourn is going to rage uncontrollably when he finally confronts Caesar's Legate."

The only thing that I'd rage over him for is people online tyring to claim he's an exmaple of 'gray'. The guy is evil. There's no getting away with it. Clear cut case if there ever was one. The NCR, Mr. House, BOS, and other fanctions are samples of ogrnaizations that acan be considred grayish but Caesar Cats aren't.

"Out of curiosity; how often are you drunk when posting on the codex?"

I have never been drunk. ever. I do drink but no drunkiness for me just internetness.

Tel Prydain

Augur
Volourn said:
CONS:

- this might be a 360 only problem but the darkness level inside structures is way too dark where you literally can't see anything. Brighten it up or give us actual light sources please.
You can hold 'B' to turn on the Pipboy light.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That better not work or I'll be really pissed.... at myself.

Stinger

Arcane
- joinable npcs are awesome (at least the ones I've encountered) though I wish ED-E would be more interactive

ED-E has more of an arc in Lonesome Road. Are you playing this with the dlcs bloating the level cap?

If so, make sure to get the trait that locks you at 30, the level scaling in the dlcs is pretty awful at the ridiculously higher levels you get.

There's also some mods like Puce Moose's tweaks that make the dlcs less combat centric.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's easy. It makes me care about what i am doing. And, it also made me change my mind on certain situations that after eharing spoilers I thought I would do x yet instead doing y instead.

Take for instance the two goons that help Mr. Checkers 'murder' you at the start. I planned to take my vengeance as bloody as possible when I encounter them... when i eventually do in Boulder... I decide to let them go because I felt more sorry for their pititful lives than the bloodthirst of vengeance I did,. That's good writing.

BOS is another one. With my character being all tech happy I thought I'd be pro BOS, but after just meeting them... I'm not sure I want to be on their good side. That's good writing.

The fact I actually gave a shit about Boone's family nightmare drama outside of the fact his quests give me good xp is good writing.

The fact I want to mass murder the Van Graffs despite their enegery weapons sellage is good writing. I haven't done it yet because I like the guard outside and I'd rather not murder him too.

Plus, doing the guarding 'quest' and you end up killing the wannabe suicide bomber when he refuses to back down then reading his note and actually feeling guilty about (and it's just a friggin' note not even dialogue) is good writing.

Capiche?

P.S. This doesn't mean there isn' examples of poor writing in the game as there is (the stupid Caesar Cat guy in the town they raided reeks of poor shallow writing that is overrated by the masses unsurprisingly is one example of it); but the good far outweighs the bad.

"ED-E has more of an arc in Lonesome Road. Are you playing this with the dlcs bloating the level cap?"

No DLCs for me. I *might* get the super edition early next year when it comes out and gift this ciopy to someone else. No mods either ebcause I'm on 360 but from what i've seen that unlike other games FO:LV looks much better on PC so I might actually get next year's version on PC.

Good news about ED-E. I like him, and I kniow he's just a robot so he shouldn't have some deep perosnality but still he needs to be more than beep beep witha couple of spam messages.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
Capiche?

P.S. This doesn't mean there isn' examples of poor writing in the game as there is (the stupid Caesar Cat guy in the town they raided reeks of poor shallow writing that is overrated by the masses unsurprisingly is one example of it); but the good far outweighs the bad.

And now NWN. How do you compare its writing with FO:NV?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Because everyone knows I thought the NWN OC writing was the best ever. :rollseyesicongoeshereforinvinity*

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
Because everyone knows I thought the NWN OC writing was the best ever. :rollseyesicongoeshereforinvinity*

Look. You went and sited examples from FO:NV where you felt the writing was good. That was nice! But not nice enough! I would like you to tell *ME* BEYOND simply saying that it invoked emotion in your mind, what feature of that writing made you FEEL that emotion. To simplify, what was in those words that made them so appealing?

I know you can answer this. But you will have to think. I am listening intently.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Look. You went and sited examples from FO:NV where you felt the writing was good. That was nice! But not nice enough! I would like you to tell *ME* BEYOND simply saying that it invoked emotion in your mind, what feature of that writing made you FEEL that emotion. To simplify, what was in those words that made them so appealing?

I know you can answer this. But you will have to think. I am listening intently."

Are you dense? I gave you my reasons in my very first response in that post. That, imo, is the only way to judge good from bad wriitng. I perosnally don't give a fuck if writing follows some innate 'rule' - espicially when it comes to dialogue.

Goodw riting to me is the following:

a) makes you care about the situation

b) makes you potnetially rethink a decision you thought was obvious

c) is mostly consistent in terms of the character speaking, and if a character's dialogue style dialogue changes there needs to be a reason for it. ie. a happy go lucky character can't just start curisng for no reason or a violent pyschopath doesn't turn into a non viloent lover out of the blue (if ever).

This is why the priase for the Master in Fallout being convinced to blow things up is bullshit because someone liek him is not just throw his arms in the air and give up just because there's a flaw in the plan - he would try to figure out a fukkin' way to deal with said flaw. Mutants can't have babies? He would still us ehis army to take control of the wasteland and still strive to intimidate those oppose him into following him until he brainwashes the masses into his ideal society. Instead, no, he just give sup. WTFever. All to give a player a 'non violent dialogue option;, There were so many other ways to do so.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
That, imo, is the only way to judge good from bad wriitng.

Well. Its a shallow opinion none the less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom