Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 is not nearly as bad as you hystronic nerds make it out to be

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm indifferent to the Tranquility Lane quest, but I think it would be much better if they gave players options to deal with it without having to enter the simulation.
:nocountryforshitposters:
They produced content. You don't wanna skip content, are you crazy?

Zer0wing

Cipher
I'm indifferent to the Tranquility Lane quest, but I think it would be much better if they gave players options to deal with it without having to enter the simulation.
Meh, there's a way to activate the killswitch by solving a retarded puzzle (it would be less retarded if the "password" was different) and finish the quest much faster anyway. I'd argue that the games gets much worse after player finds the precious Liam Neeson.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 3 offers you the giant robot screaming about how it will defeat communism fighting against the Enclave, meaning the PURE American values dealing with the "corrupt" US government as represented by the Enclave, so I can see why libertarians would prefer it.

FO3's writing is an abomination but Liberty Prime is one of the few great things in it. It's obviously exaggerated satire of the pure American philosophy, not an endorsement of it, and fits in well with the 50s parody of Fallout. It's one of the few highlights of that game, story wise.

Learned
Reinstalled FO3 after several New Vegas runs with a relatively short mod list. Unofficial patches, weighted ammo and consumables, bobbleheads begone etc. Oooh boy. The story of Lonewanderer Middleagedguysson (19) is as good as it was a decade ago.

1. RNG based speech checks are red tip on a blue pen retarded. You have about 20% chance to succeed certain lines even with max Speech. I bet some Bethesdard still defends the system to this day as it provides "replay value". I bet the very same Bethesdard is also against quick loads as it's "save scumming" and load times are long on his console.

2. Megaton, Rivet City, Tenpenny Tower, The Republic of Dave and Little Lamplight are all shitty communities that don't make sense whatsoever and shouldn't exist in a wasteland with scarce resources for more than 30 seconds. Karma vendors outside cities fucking suck. I wonder if Barter changes the purified water/karma exchange rate.

4. NV is also guilty of this but in FO3 is a lot more pronounced. DLC gear is unscrupulously far superior to vanilla gear. Now you may say they are meant to be better than vanilla items because of release dates, but some are outright broken. There are several examples but the biggest offender is the winterized variant of T-51b with high durability. Bethesda accidentally gave the player the simulation variant that doesn't need repairs but never fixed it. How convenient.

5. Broken Steel's retcon of the stupid vanilla sacrifice wasn't written after fan feedback. The "two weeks later" video was there in the game files all along, before they released said DLC. Some of you may remember this.

And this is without getting into the worldbuilding, Emil's wonderful dialogue lines and quests.

The game is only good for taking a hike in the greenish rubble and shooting stuff.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
1. RNG based speech checks are red tip on a blue pen retarded. You have about 20% chance to succeed certain lines even with max Speech. I bet some Bethesdard still defends the system to this day as it provides "replay value". I bet the very same Bethesdard is also against quick loads as it's "save scumming" and load times are long on his console.

To be fair a ton of RPGs have dice roll speech checks where your charisma is just a modifier. RPG Codex incline game of the decade supposedly Pathfinder: Kingmaker has that, and even if you boost speech every level you'll fail a ton of checks late-game. It's just one more example of New Vegas being the true incline. :martini:

jackofshadows

Magister
There's nothing wrong with the dice rolls concept, it's the F3's execution that is suck as with provided example and due to unbelievable low bar writing in general.
It's a Fallout game.
It's not due to art style and concept of simple "frozen fifties forever" instead of original retro-futurism alone.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
No, but they periodically necro old accounts to post pastas like the op's. We live rent free in Pete's head.

Right, instead of periodically changing names, like your alt Spotswood, a name, I want to be Life Coach, Jesus. From a WASP to a spic and a neckbeard shitlord every step of the way.

I'd call it impressive, if you weren't so goddam bland and forgettable I had to look this shit up. Self eject already k'thnksby

ADL

Prophet
Why 76 (in 5th place) exactly?
I agree with your first four (more or less), although NV loses points IMO for using FO3's presentation & general gameplay rather than FO2's; though we know it had to be that way, as they were developing it on the leash.

*Having never played FO4 or 76, I don't truly have a proper base of comparison, but the video I have seen was pretty abysmal—graphics aside.
76 is a competent loot shooter versus incompetent "RPGs" so I'm judging it based on that. At least I wasn't disappointed with 76 because I knew it wasn't going to be a successor to Fallout 1 or 2 and in the case of 4 I wasn't hoping they'd address the problems Skyrim/Fallout 3 had.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
The boomers here are on their deathbed and anything requiring reactions scares them, they need a slow turn based game with no player input to feel special

Indeed special was named special for geriatric and mentally disabled kids

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I came here to write that Fallout 3 is the worst game I've ever finished and one of the worst games I've played. 90% of the play-through was pure misery and though I can't say that it's the worst game ever I can say that there's no chance any game in existence will ever make me feel worse.
So it's an RPG/FPS hybrid, right? Well that's too bad because it's completely shite in both departments:
-Worst written characters I've seen in an RPG
-Worst plot I've ever seen in an RPG
-Worst main quest ever. You walk-up to someone ask him about his father, he directs you to some place. The only way to get to this place is through the subway. You arrive, they direct you to another place. Probably you'll have to go through the subway to get there.
-Character system is so simplistic it doesn't even matter
-One of the worst shooting mechanics I've ever seen in an FPS game, every weapon feels like a peashooter, enemies feel like cardboard cutouts. Wolfenstein 3D was more fun
-Worst levels ever. Fallout 3 has basically 3 locales: rubbles, subway and military base.
-Worst enemy selection ever. Majority of the game is spend fighting either feral ghouls who just charge at you or guys who just stand there and shoot at you.
There are like 3 things I've liked about the game:
-Mutants with rocket launchers: actually made me think about my positioning
-VR Vault: one interesting quests in the entire game
-That superhero inspired quest, it was stupid as hell but at least it was somewhat fun

Quillon

Arcane
I'm surprised how FO3 is so fresh in everyone's mind, how are you guys able to thoroughly analyse the game after so many years since if asked you'll say you've played it 12 years ago at best. Didn't it became redundant after NV? Are Bethesda games guilty pleasure of codexers? :D

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm surprised how FO3 is so fresh in everyone's mind, how are you guys able to thoroughly analyse the game after so many years since if asked you'll say you've played it 12 years ago at best. Didn't it became redundant after NV? Are Bethesda games guilty pleasure of codexers? :D
I played it for the first time this year. I thought with its mechanical similarities to New Vegas, I should be able to get some enjoyment from it. I was wrong. It's actually a really educational experience to see two games that are so similar, and yet one is so much worse than the other.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I've played it years after New Vegas. After giving Oblivion another go and finishing it I found it fun in some places. Sure it was dumbed-down and level scaling was terrible, but the entire game was OK. So I've decided to check out F3 and boy was I disappointment.

MWaser

Arbiter
I've only played Fallout3 once in my life in 2010. Pretty much the only stuff I remember is looking for your dad, VR section, giant robots, blowing up megaton, stupid ending where you "die" (I had the DLC so not really) and getting captured by aliens for another DLC.

If I wanted to play a game like it, I'd just play Fallout NV. FO3 truly is redundant.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played it for the first time this year. I thought with its mechanical similarities to New Vegas, I should be able to get some enjoyment from it. I was wrong. It's actually a really educational experience to see two games that are so similar, and yet one is so much worse than the other.

Imagine my disappointment when my first Fallout was New Vegas and I went back to check Fallout 3 after that. The start in the vault in Fallout 3 is a neat piece of storytelling everything after that is rancid. Luckily for me it didnt discourage me enough to go even further back and try Fallout 2.

Arbiter

Scholar

Imagine my disappointment when my first Fallout was New Vegas and I went back to check Fallout 3 after that. The start in the vault in Fallout 3 is a neat piece of storytelling everything after that is rancid. Luckily for me it didnt discourage me enough to go even further back and try Fallout 2.

Just don't go back to Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel ;)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
FO3 is a game that has content so stupid it's memorable in the wrong ways.
I haven't replayed it in recent years at all, but how can one forget something as stupid as a community of 'grown up kids' sent out to die to supermutants because they were too old for the community of 'little kids' in a post apo world? or the fake vampires drinking blood for the lulz? or the town built around a nuclear bomb? the fact that there's no clear answer how these people even feed themselves? can someone forget the level of IQ behind Three Dogs's speech check? the holy paladin order of the brotherhood of steel that replaced the more shade of grey isolationist brotherhood? or what about the prosperous tree harold?

Everything about this game is a mind afflicting trauma.
In comparison Oblivion is also a shit game but I barely remember anything about it besides the bloom and stupid gates repetition. It's bad, but it doesn't reach the level of absolute stupid FO3 does. Few video games do. Oblivion's greatest crime is being about as bland as it gets.

FO3 is legitimately one of the highest concentration of stupid in a video game. Of all times. It's quite the crowning 'achievement' in that regards. It's a cringe festival from the moment you begin the game with the birthing scene, to the ending where you couldn't send a radiation resistant person to do what is right because muhsacrifice. The cringe just. Wouldn't. Stop.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
FO3 is legitimately one of the highest concentration of stupid in a video game. Of all times. It's quite the crowning 'achievement' in that regards. It's a cringe festival from the moment you begin the game with the birthing scene, to the ending where you couldn't send a radiation resistant person to do what is right because muhsacrifice. The cringe just. Wouldn't. Stop.
Wow, you made it all the way to the end? I couldn't stand the bad combat and ugly green smudgy visuals long enough to finish the dad finding quest.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man, I remember when I used to think stuff like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim were "literally the worst thing to ever happen to RPGs"... then Disco Elysium came out and the Overton Window shifted, and it retroactively made those games "not as bad" by virtue of at least having actual gameplay, unlike DE.

The slippery slope is real, folks. The real enemy to RPGs is no longer dumbed down mainstream shit, it's visual novels masquerading as RPGs used as ideological vehicles.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DE doesn't event count as a game
CYOA are not games
being transposed from books to computer form doesn't make them games anymore than when they were books
Chess is a game. Poker is a game. Puzzles are games. Books aren't games.
One shouldn't call video games things that wouldn't even be considered games if they had a physical form.

Smoker

Scholar
I barely remember anything from FO3 except power fisting a super mutant. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
PTSD does that to you - those flashbacks, man.

Hell, I haven't actually played FO3, yet I still get them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom