Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Football Manager LIVE

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Not really an RPG, but it's an MMO, so I guess it kinda applies to this forum. Anyway, as a fan of the Football Manager games, I am really interested in this game - I'm just not entirely sure how they are going to pull it off. The basic idea is you take the core management simulator and add a thousand people to it so that they are all playing and competing with eachother at the same time, rather than competing against AI managers. It sounds like a decent enough idea, but there are so many questions; What happens when someone's team starts doing shit and they want to quit? When will matches be played, will there be a set time so that everyone knows when to log in? One shitty thing about it is that you can't actually pick a real-world team, you have to create a fantasy team and pick a squad for it. Whether or not the players are real has yet to be stated, but if they aren't, then I can see myself rapidly losing interest in this game. It kind of defeats the whole idea if you make everything fake. I mean, I could always go and play the shittiest, most complicated, boring, cancer-infested scrotum of a game Hattrick.org, if I wanted fake. I wouldn't have to pay a monthly-fee either.

Maybe they will pull it off and make it good, despite it being fake. Anyway, I have to get back to playing Football Manager 2008, Harry Kewell just flopped his cock out in front of the fans and has been banned for 7 matches and is spending the night in a cell, and Michael Owen is being hounded by Nigerian gangsters after calling Obafemi Martins a coon.[/url]

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
No replies? Come on. I don't care anyway. Newcastle beat Tottenham today so life is good. Yes, I'm a Newcastle fan who lives in essex. My family brought me up to support West Ham but I realised that West Ham fans are arseholes and I always had a thing for Newcastle anyway. Howay the lads! Geordies!!!

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Don't worry, I'm drunk. I don't care really.

I want to mate with you btw aweigh.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
bend-over-backwards-gas-card.gif

Chefe

Erudite
Soccer. It's called Soccer.

I looked this up, thinking it was some super kind of Fantasy Football, and was very disappointed.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
is this where grown ups get touched on the face and suddenly dropped as if they just caught a bullet to the cheek?

Chefe

Erudite
RK47 said:
is this where grown ups get touched on the face and suddenly dropped as if they just caught a bullet to the cheek?

It's called a "Red Card".

And yes.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Zinc said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxTmCD6rKxc

I swear this actually gets funnier every time I watch it. And it was about 3 weeks ago and I've seen it about 100 times.

I don't get it. I just watched it and I don't think I understand what happened. I played soccer in high school, but I imagine the rules of American high school soccer are pretty different from pro football. Why did he collapse like that? Why were the commentators talking about a win? Clearly the fan barely tapped the dude . . .

Chefe

Erudite
cardtrick said:
Zinc said:

I swear this actually gets funnier every time I watch it. And it was about 3 weeks ago and I've seen it about 100 times.

I don't get it. I just watched it and I don't think I understand what happened. I played soccer in high school, but I imagine the rules of American high school soccer are pretty different from pro football. Why did he collapse like that? Why were the commentators talking about a win? Clearly the fan barely tapped the dude . . .

Your comment is too stupid for even me to respond.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
cardtrick said:
Zinc said:

Basically, there was like 1 minute left and Celtic had just scored the goal that would win them the match, so Dida (the goalkeeper) gets tapped on the chin and originally goes to chase the fan, presumably to try and catch him, but then thinks to himself "wait a minute, I can get the match stopped and force Celtic to forfeit", so he falls down and goes off on a stretcher with an ice pack on his face.

This backfired, however, as Celtic went on to win the match, Dida received a 2 match ban, and as far as I know, AC Milan were fined. Unfortunately, the fan received a lifetime ban from Celtic Park.

DarkSign

Erudite
Ive always wondered when this was going to happen - an online sports management game.

They've dabbled in online sports games where you actually play the games...but this is the next step.

Not that it will be good, but it's just taking SP games and bringing them online.

I'd try it.

Deleted member 7219

Funny how some Americans here laugh at proper footballers being pussies when their own version has guys wearing helmets and body armour.

DarkSign

Erudite
Matt7895 said:
Funny how some Americans here laugh at proper footballers being pussies when their own version has guys wearing helmets and body armour.

You're being obtuse. There's contact in soccer but not nearly the level of contact as in football. I can say that because I played both in high school and played soccer on a collegiate level. Hell, I even had my collarbone broken playing soccer.

But the nature of American football isnt just a slide tackle or a hip check...it's slam you while youre up into the air into 5 other guys who are gunning for your spine.

Rugby (I pull for England who's had some terrible losses this year) might be able to laugh at pads, but not soccer players chief.

kris

Arcane
I love football, but I have no qualms in saying that the majority of the professional player base a major wankers when it comes to close contact.

Anyway, football is the sport with the highest amount of injuries, its just not very good for the ancles and knees...

RAG

Educated
DarkSign said:
But the nature of American football isnt just a slide tackle or a hip check...it's slam you while youre up into the air into 5 other guys who are gunning for your spine.

This is why it's entertaining when it happens in a football (aka soccer) game. It's not one of the goals of the game, just a byproduct :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qc6E0QBqes

Most injuries happen cause of the iron nails under the football shoes. They might help the player to have a better grip on the field but imagine what they can do when they hit a leg and bone. It's haeven!!

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
Matt7895 said:

Try running head-on, full-speed into a guy who is most likely 250+ pounds of solid muscle and his job is to stop you in your tracks and knock you to the ground by any means possible. You wouldn't last long without padding and a helmet. Don't try to make a comparison with rugby either, they are completely different sports. Rugby is probably the rougher sport, you see blood quite often in rugby matches but it is a rarity in NFL games from what I've seen. However, if NFL players didn't wear protection then there probably would be much more serious injuries happening quite often. One of the main differences between rugby and NFL being that high tackles are forbidden in rugby, this eliminates the need for helmet and padding.

As for footballers, they are right to laugh at them. Most footballers nowadays are overpaid, spoilt brats, pampered from a young age to think that they are better than everyone else - including referees. To be honest, diving should have been stamped out a long time ago by giving a straight yellow card to anyone who falls to the ground when no contact was made. It is such a big part of the game now, however, that it will probably be almost impossible to eradicate.

Ryuken

Liturgist
I am in the beta of this and I'll say it got me hooked right away. I don't know if I'll be willing to pay a monthly fee for FML (it's still in beta and thus unfinished) but it definitely has the same addiction level as the offline FM-games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom