Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Forced: A good co-op game with a terrible title

J1M

Arcane
header_292x136.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/betadwarf/forced
http://store.steampowered.com/app/249990/

The kickstarted game Forced was recently released. The title is likely a bad translation from northpolespeak.

It is a coop game (you can also play it singleplayer) that is what I would describe as "Crystal Chronicles for grown-ups". The controls are that of a twin-stick shooter, but only one of the 4 classes is a ranged character. Combat revolves around selecting the right target and building up combo points called "marks" that increase the damage of special attacks.

Each class plays differently but uses the same controls. Since marks are shared between all characters, players can work together to do things like alternate the cooldowns of their special attacks, or have one character built to generate marks while the other is built to spend them. Most useful player abilities, such as heal or sprint, can also be shared if allies are within a short distance of each other.

In addition to waves of enemies that vary in number and type, the game also contains some puzzles that involve interacting with the environment. This is done by manipulating the position of the spirit orb that follows your party around. It can be used to interact with healing shrines, move blocks onto switches, etc. The puzzles are a good mix of mild brainwork and execution skill.

Each level has three skillpoints available to be earned. One for completion, one for completing a challenge, and another for completion in a certain time limit. The last two are optional. Challenges include things like "hit 5 enemies at once with an explosive shrine" or "don't touch the mist".

Overall, I like the game quite a bit. I am getting what I did not get out of Diablo 3 with this game: something fun to play with friends cooperatively. Unlike most games today, there is a definite challenge curve and things went from "very easy" to "wow that was tough" by the end.

Some negatives:
-The ice shield character seems too powerful in singleplayer. I am not sure I could even beat the final boss with any of the other three characters. This is not a problem in co-op.
-The 4th area of the game is too dark. It is supposed to be spooky but it is just annoying.
-The best way to control the game is with an Xbox 360 controller.

ss_8efaf42ca0503bc2fef8fc034b61eb90540b0f05.1920x1080.jpg

ss_820a5e804c2326ed975cda64d78b2bd5f0a35863.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c716dad73979d22416e013eb978439005a6f42fc.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Tomo

Learned
header_292x136.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/betadwarf/forced
http://store.steampowered.com/app/249990/

The kickstarted game Forced was recently released. The title is likely a bad translation from northpolespeak.

It is a coop game (you can also play it singleplayer) that is what I would describe as "Crystal Chronicles for grown-ups". The controls are that of a twin-stick shooter, but only one of the 4 classes is a ranged character. Combat revolves around selecting the right target and building up combo points called "marks" that increase the damage of special attacks.

Each class plays differently but uses the same controls. Since marks are shared between all characters, players can work together to do things like alternate the cooldowns of their special attacks, or have one character built to generate marks while the other is built to spend them. Most useful player abilities, such as heal or sprint, can also be shared if allies are within a short distance of each other.

In addition to waves of enemies that vary in number and type, the game also contains some puzzles that involve interacting with the environment. This is done by manipulating the position of the spirit orb that follows your party around. It can be used to interact with healing shrines, move blocks onto switches, etc. The puzzles are a good mix of mild brainwork and execution skill.

Each level has three skillpoints available to be earned. One for completion, one for completing a challenge, and another for completion in a certain time limit. The last two are optional. Challenges include things like "hit 5 enemies at once with an explosive shrine" or "don't touch the mist".

Overall, I like the game quite a bit. I am getting what I did not get out of Diablo 3 with this game: something fun to play with friends cooperatively. Unlike most games today, there is a definite challenge curve and things went from "very easy" to "wow that was tough" by the end.

Some negatives:
-The ice shield character seems too powerful in singleplayer. I am not sure I could even beat the final boss with any of the other three characters. This is not a problem in co-op.
-The 4th area of the game is too dark. It is supposed to be spooky but it is just annoying.
-The best way to control the game is with an Xbox 360 controller.

ss_8efaf42ca0503bc2fef8fc034b61eb90540b0f05.1920x1080.jpg

ss_820a5e804c2326ed975cda64d78b2bd5f0a35863.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c716dad73979d22416e013eb978439005a6f42fc.1920x1080.jpg

How does it compare with Torchlight 2 and is the xbox 360 controller mandatory? I always get the feeling that "best" means if you want to enjoy your experience and not deal with the frustration of game controls feeling like your hands have been smashed.

J1M

Arcane
How does it compare with Torchlight 2 and is the xbox 360 controller mandatory? I always get the feeling that "best" means if you want to enjoy your experience and not deal with the frustration of game controls feeling like your hands have been smashed.
I haven't played Torchlight 2. I prefer to use the controller for this game, but I play coop with a friend who doesn't have one. I assume you are worried that you will be clicking too much? The archer can choose to press-and-hold to charge up his shots, or fire rapidly. I can see firing rapidly all of the time causing hand stress, including if you used a controller.

The hammer weapon favors slower attacks, if you wait between strikes it charges up for a more powerful blow. The dual-wielding character usually will be holding down attack to swing continuously. The shield user is more about activating longer cooldown abilities.

In conclusion: you might have trouble with one of the four characters. (You are never 'Forced' to play a specific character.)

Dr Tomo

Learned
I assume you are worried that you will be clicking too much?
Dark Souls for PC and trying to use a kb/mouse

The hammer weapon favors slower attacks, if you wait between strikes it charges up for a more powerful blow. The dual-wielding character usually will be holding down attack to swing continuously. The shield user is more about activating longer cooldown abilities.

In conclusion: you might have trouble with one of the four characters. (You are never 'Forced' to play a specific character.)
Not surprised that it would cause issues as I was curious to know if it will be workable like castle crashers which the studio also highly recommends the use of a controller, but you can remap the keys and risk Carpal Tunnel/Arthritis while playing the game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The game pales in comparison to TL2 although it doesn't really try to be a pure Diablo clone. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I think this is the game that started out as a project for a couple of university students... it feels very much like it. Just checked the Steam page... this game had a demo and now they've removed it? Pretty telling.

J1M

Arcane
The game pales in comparison to TL2 although it doesn't really try to be a pure Diablo clone. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I think this is the game that started out as a project for a couple of university students... it feels very much like it. Just checked the Steam page... this game had a demo and now they've removed it? Pretty telling.
Yes, it is a kickstarted game by a new developer. It focuses on discrete challenges and co-op play. There is no persistent character that is "yours" that you level up. You unlock new abilities to mix and match for new challenges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom