Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Forever Winter - artfag survival scavenging

PanteraNera

Arcane
You're such a dicksucker, holy shit :lol: Dev comes in with a predatory system lifted from gacha games (worse, even, as gacha doesn't punish you for not logging in, rather you just lose the benefits), and you think it's some super hardcore experience? Cuck.
Says the guy that haven't played the game, doesn't understand the mechanics & doesn't get what the Dev's are aiming for.
And yes, if you did any of that you wouldn't be able to write what you did.

thesecret1

Arcane
You're such a dicksucker, holy shit :lol: Dev comes in with a predatory system lifted from gacha games (worse, even, as gacha doesn't punish you for not logging in, rather you just lose the benefits), and you think it's some super hardcore experience? Cuck.
Says the guy that haven't played the game, doesn't understand the mechanics & doesn't get what the Dev's are aiming for.
And yes, if you did any of that you wouldn't be able to write what you did.
Of course I'm not going to buy a game with such practices, are you shitting me? Why would I give money to a developer that introduces a practice more scummy than even the likes of EA or Ubisoft? As for what the devs are aiming for, they said they wanted the player to be anxious about the game even when not playing, ie. FOMO.

PanteraNera

Arcane
OMG a game that is about a dark and grim world about survival against the odds, where the player is not the hero character, where there was a trailer showing countless people die for just one jug of water, has dire consequences for running out of water, surprised pikachu face.

Honestly with the final upgrade for your water tank you can decide to not play the game for 99 days and chances are pretty high that if you haven't played the game for so long, you will not play it on day 100. Do they absolutely NEED to have the mechanic in? No! But in my eyes it makes the world more believable, as it actually has consequences if you decide to do everything to gain money and progress while ignoring the water situation. Plus even without the mechanic everyone would like to max water out ASAP, as it brings in better vendors and unlocks stuff like rig customization.

thesecret1

Arcane
OMG a game that is about a dark and grim world about survival against the odds, where the player is not the hero character, where there was a trailer showing countless people die for just one jug of water, has dire consequences for running out of water, surprised pikachu face.

Honestly with the final upgrade for your water tank you can decide to not play the game for 99 days and chances are pretty high that if you haven't played the game for so long, you will not play it on day 100. Do they absolutely NEED to have the mechanic in? No! But in my eyes it makes the world more believable, as it actually has consequences if you decide to do everything to gain money and progress while ignoring the water situation. Plus even without the mechanic everyone would like to max water out ASAP, as it brings in better vendors and unlocks stuff like rig customization.
You really are a tool, aren't you? It's a simple predatory practice meant to force player retention, that's it. If they wanted to make water super scarce and important, they could've made it so that you expend some with each deployment, for example. Instead, the only time water is ever an issue is when you decide you don't really wanna play the game for now. And that's normal - it's normal to not play a game for a year or two and then come back to it. What's not normal is to punish the player for it.

And stop trying to strawman some shit about "consequences if the player focuses on money and progress while ignoring the water situation" - that's not the issue anyone has with the mechanic. The issue is that the game tries to hold the player hostage: "play me at least once every few months, or else..."

Unbelievable someone can even try to defend this shit.

PanteraNera

Arcane
thesecret1
I am sorry, I thought you misunderstood the concept of the game, as you were not following the numerous information's that you could get from the developers or from first hand experience. I understand that you want to hate the game because of your take on the water mechanic. I am not going to stop you.

thesecret1

Arcane
thesecret1
I am sorry, I thought you misunderstood the concept of the game, as you were not following the numerous information's that you could get from the developers or from first hand experience. I understand that you want to hate the game because of your take on the water mechanic. I am not going to stop you.
It's not my take on the water system, it's the water system that's in the game. There isn't some sort of ambiguity there. Your prior argumentation doesn't even make sense - the water system isn't some hardcore mechanic you need to play around, since water is one of the most common drops. The only time it fucks you over is if you stop playing. You know what other game had a system like this?

iu

Cool name

Arcane
Game has a mixed rating on Steam (65% positive atm) and it's (already) like 18$ on reseller sites.

The water counter goes down in real-time which basically means that you are punished for not playing the game every day. Simply retarded.

The water issue alone will kill this game but I'm sure it will be patched however they botched the EA release and that cannot be patched.

I will pass this one.
Yeah, the water system is impressively retarded. Like it's obviously just a FOMO mechanic to try and force player retention in the stupidest way possible, and since everyone criticized them for it, they made it so you can stock it up for like 80 days in advance and made water an incredibly common drop. Meaning that now water is worthless, yet you still get the FOMO crap, truly the worst of both worlds.
This is what makes it obvious that the mechanic was never about making a "hardcore survival experience" in a gritty world where you aren't the hero or whatever. The gameplay and "artistic vision"-focused way to fix the mechanic is straightforward: Make it only decrease while you're playing, but make it much harder to stock up on water. Suddenly you have a game that's substantially more "hardcore" and substantially less retarded. The devs are surely not too dumb to realize this, so it's clear their motives are not about making the game better.

As things stand, it's a pointless mechanic for active players — they will never be low on water since gathering it is trivial. It adds zero tension to the game for them. Defenders of the mechanic can never point to any concrete benefit it has, because the sole purpose is to discourage irregular play. Instead they can only repeat "It's no big deal! Gathering a week's water takes like 35 minutes!" not understanding that this doesn't make it better. That hasn't created tension, it has created a chore. About as thrilling to think about as "Ugh, I need to do the laundry when I get home today."

I don't get how anyone can defend it unless they're the devs themselves, retarded, a kid, or have an unquenchable need for the devs' cocks in and around their mouth. (Seemingly because the devs are somehow "bucking greedy game industry trends"... by introducing mechanics derived from gacha games. lmao.)

Another game for the "cool aesthetic, but nothing else" pile, I guess.

thesecret1

Arcane
This is what makes it obvious that the mechanic was never about making a "hardcore survival experience" in a gritty world where you aren't the hero or whatever. The gameplay and "artistic vision"-focused way to fix the mechanic is straightforward: Make it only decrease while you're playing, but make it much harder to stock up on water. Suddenly you have a game that's substantially more "hardcore" and substantially less retarded. The devs are surely not too dumb to realize this, so it's clear their motives are not about making the game better.
Exactly. And even if the devs were retarded enough not to think of this, their players are bombarding them with suggestions just like this everywhere (and have been even during the beta).

As things stand, it's a pointless mechanic for active players — they will never be low on water since gathering it is trivial. It adds zero tension to the game for them. Defenders of the mechanic can never point to any concrete benefit it has, because the sole purpose is to discourage irregular play. Instead they can only repeat "It's no big deal! Gathering a week's water takes like 35 minutes!" not understanding that this doesn't make it better. That hasn't created tension, it has created a chore. About as thrilling to think about as "Ugh, I need to do the laundry when I get home today."

I don't get how anyone can defend it unless they're the devs themselves, retarded, a kid, or have an unquenchable need for the devs' cocks in and around their mouth. (Seemingly because the devs are somehow "bucking greedy game industry trends"... by introducing mechanics derived from gacha games. lmao.)
Yeah, they built their whole marketing on "Hey, we're BASED DEVS making games for HARDCORE GAMERS, and we hate the fucking garbage AAA publishers" and then introduced this crap. It's actually worse than in gacha, since there, if you don't play, you just lose out on a bonus – you don't get punished in the sense of something getting taken from you. These dudes have truly taken it to the next level.

I think the most bewildering thing of all is that they don't need this. They aren't running a subscription based model nor are they making cosmetics to sell. Like, sure, they do need some players to keep the servers full, but they don't need to resort to such practices for that. I guess someone high up the ladder decided it's a genius idea and it's become his ego thing or something? Puzzling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom