Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Forgive Me Father - Cthulhu-hunting boomer shooter - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by fantadomat, Oct 22, 2021.

1. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat

https://af.gog.com/game/forgive_me_father?as=1649904300

Show Spoiler

Gameplay

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • meh x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • not sure if serious x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Arbaces Literate

Arbaces
    Yeah, I remember the Lovecraft story about the badass one man army mowing through legions of monsters.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 24
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 3
    • incline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Low budget hipster trash cashgrab.

Comic style ≠ mood straight from Lovecraft's novels.
    I'm so sick of Cthulhu shit everywhere, I wish Lovecraft wasn't public domain.

• Yes Yes x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. buffalo bill Arcane

buffalo bill
    I can't think of anything more lovecraft than a graphic that says 'HEADSHOT'

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This truly captures the spirit of the books.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    Oh, good, another Lovecraftian-inspired action game with sanity effects. All these developers don't seem to have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft and instead seem to just use some names and then use a crappy sanity system. The art's Hellboy-ish, but the enemies all look amateurish. They're walking awkwardly and their animation range is bad. And it all just looks so bland. I think I'll stick with Strange Aeons if I ever want a Lovecraftian-inspired FPS, at least that feels like it was made by someone who actually read a Lovecraft story.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Nor any 90s FPS.

My first impressions as with everyone is not favorable, but I still say wait it out, give the new blood a chance, expect the worst but hope for the best.

Nowhere is there a rule that just because something takes inspiration from Lovecraft it has to emulate the feel 100%

I still remember the 2006-2013 deep decline years where I all but prayed for old school oriented game design to come back (i.e a focus on gameplay as it should be). Now all these boomer shooters are here I can't complain that there's at least SOMETHING, and yet you bet your ass I want to as most aren't capturing the greatness in every aspect: gameplay, art, music etc, let alone innovating upon them...fuck I am complaining. Just wait it out and give it a chance. It could be worse. Could be forever stuck in a timeloop where Gears of War/Assassins Creed/Kane & Lynch/GTA4/Halo/Uncharted/Fable/Call of Duty/Bioshock/Oblivion and the many clones of them, not much else are being released over and over

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. AndyS Educated

AndyS
    What novels? Lovecraft wasn't a novelist.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not relevant here, but I think The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is considered a short novel

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Looks like crap.

Funny, the decent lovecraftian games are usually games not explicitly advertised as lovecraftian.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    Dream-Quest, Charles Ward, and Mountains of Madness are all over 40,000 words. So,

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. toughasnails Educated

toughasnails
    The game looks p sweet tbh. Visually somewhere between The Darkness 2 and Blood and the action looks fun.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    This came out a month ago, is free and has 96% positive reviews:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. toughasnails Educated

toughasnails
    There's probably tons of comic book that either adaptations of specific Lovecraft stories or are using his Mythos in some way.
    And Arkham Horror stuff for example uses art in the style of American comic books.

^ Top  
  15. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Looks pretty bad to me ... :(

^ Top  
  16. Denim Destroyer Learned

Denim Destroyer
    While I am not opposed to a Lovecraft inspired shooter I am opposed to one that only takes the most superficial elements of one or two stories and fail to do anything interesting with the themes Lovecraft wrote about. Take advantage of odd angles and portals to make architecture seem more inhuman. Make subtle changes to environments if/when the player backtracks through them. Adding fish people will not make your game Lovecraftian if you do not add the fundamentals such as existential dread and anxiety of the unknown.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    G A Y
    A X A
    Y A G

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    anyone play this?

• No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. orcinator Liturgist

orcinator
    Gag me with a spoon,it has RPG elements.
    They better take lots of inspiration from everyone favorite Lovecraft inspired comic, Neonomicon by Alan Moore to compensate.

• decline decline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LarryTyphoid Learned

LarryTyphoid
    Any game advertising itself as "Lovecraftian" is actually Derlethian. Which makes sense, because basically everything iconic about the "Lovecraft Mythos" comes from Derleth and the tabletop game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    how's the gameplay? is the shooting good? people are crying about muh lovecraft but who gives a shit at this point, either the game is fun to play or it isn't. so which is it?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    None of the recent games marketed as 'Lovecraftian' are really Lovecraftian, but parodies of Lovecraft.

Interestingly these people always choose the worst possible art design like this stupid soft comic book look.

I havent seen a Lovecraftian game since Clive Barkers Undying in 2001. Which has nothing to do with Lovecraft funnily enough.

Quake, Undying, Soul Reaver are infinitely more Lovecraftian than hipster garbage like Stygian, Stirring Abyss or Alder's Blood.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I'm not sick because nothing they make is close to what Lovecraft did, so I don't even try them. Can't be sick of what doesn't affect you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.