Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Forgotten Realm setting RTS or TB Strategy.

laclongquan

Arcane
Do we have any RTS or TB Strategy on Forgotten Realm setting? Or Simulation?

Even Icewind Dale series is based on small squad tactic (6-man party and at most 6 summons). While that was nice on a tactic level, I am curious about Strategy, Grand Strategy, Simulation or any other non-RPG form of games in this beloved setting.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
There were several (sold in one of those CD bundles back in the 90s) -- Fantasy Empires was one, Blood & Magic another, I can't remember what else.

A horse of course

Dragonshard was set in Ebberron or whatever the setting with automaton PCs was.

Also it was like a particularly boring Warcraft 3 ripoff.

rezaf

Cipher
Funny, I'd all but forgotten about this, but way back in the day when I was still actively playing AD&D tabletop I had such longing for a game like the OP asks for. It seems like a no-brainer, too - medieval style human kingdoms at the core with possibilities for all kinds of crazyness all around. But there was nothing, really.

Blood & Magic fits the bill of being a D&D themed RTS, I guess, though I tended to like WarWind more - it was unrelated to D&D (and had a very different setting, especially in the first game), but I enjoyed it.
Also Stronghold. The original one by SSI, not the one with the sieges. At least it got the theme right.

laclongquan

Arcane
In a way, Heroes of Might and Magic (specifically, 3) army battles work if you look at it sideway. But it doesnt use the lore of FR. The heroes doesnt have a character table/level/class progression follow the BG/IWD model, or NWN model.

You can model such a game follow the line of HoMM3:
- A hero unit with FR character table, complete with class and level. The MP system got exchanged with the Vancian system.
- Army of units like that.

I dont see why not~

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There were several (sold in one of those CD bundles back in the 90s) -- Fantasy Empires was one, Blood & Magic another, I can't remember what else.
Fantasy Empires was set in D&D's Known World campaign setting (later re-named Mystara). +M

58559-fantasy-empires-dos-screenshot-title-screen.gif
58564-fantasy-empires-dos-screenshot-check-on-your-enemies.gif

Also Stronghold. The original one by SSI, not the one with the sieges. At least it got the theme right.
Stronghold was also set, at least notionally, in D&D's Known World campaign setting, though I don't think it made much use of it.

War of the Lance is closest thing that comes to my mind, but it is late 80's title and uses Krynn setting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Lance_(video_game)
Yes, this was a strategy game, in keeping with SSI's pre-Gold Box focus, created for the Dragonlance setting and based on DL11 Dragons of Glory, an optional strategic supplement for the 12-part series of Dragonlance adventure modules.

Do we have any RTS or TB Strategy on Forgotten Realm setting? Or Simulation?

Even Icewind Dale series is based on small squad tactic (6-man party and at most 6 summons). While that was nice on a tactic level, I am curious about Strategy, Grand Strategy, Simulation or any other non-RPG form of games in this beloved setting.
As mentioned above, Blood & Magic from 1996 is set in the inferior Forgotten Realms setting, if this is what you're truly interested in. :rpgcodex:

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
As mentioned above, Blood & Magic from 1996 is set in the inferior Forgotten Realms setting, if this is what you're truly interested in. :rpgcodex:
You take that back! There is nothing inferior about Blood & Magic.
It was the first RTS i ever played and it always have a place in my heart. The setting was very cool. A shame that the long game mana hoarding strategy worked like a charm on every map.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It was the first RTS i ever played and it always have a place in my heart. The setting was very cool. A shame that the long game mana hoarding strategy worked like a charm on every map.
The adjective "inferior" was modifying the noun "setting"; I have nothing against the game Blood & Magic in itself.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The adjective "inferior" was modifying the noun "setting"; I have nothing against the game Blood & Magic in itself.

I know I was pretending to be a fanboy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom