Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA) thread

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
For those that don't know, the FRUA forums have moved. We are now located at: https://goldbox.games

In the future, the site will be not only the home to the forums for FRUA, but also an information site for Goldbox Games in general, with the hope of creating forums devoted to those as well.
I was checking out the site and found some awesome stuff... The largest of the newer FRUA modules was done by Nol Drek and he converted the entire Greyhawk module that can take characters up to level 30. He also did a module based on the little known, but very welcome, Gamma World. :salute:

Jaesun converted the entire Castle Caldwell and Beyond BECMI book consisting of around 5 adventures into a module back in 2015.

Our own Null Null created his own modules recently too, a recent one dealing with the Cthulhu mythos. And Dorateen did some work back in 2017. Let's here it for the Codex.

The prolific and amazing Ray Dyer has been converting modules as recent as 2017. The guy is a fucking hero. It's amazing that FRUA still has people developing for it to this day. Next year will be its 30th anniversary.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
For those that don't know, the FRUA forums have moved. We are now located at: https://goldbox.games

In the future, the site will be not only the home to the forums for FRUA, but also an information site for Goldbox Games in general, with the hope of creating forums devoted to those as well.
I was checking out the site and found some awesome stuff... The largest of the newer FRUA modules was done by Nol Drek and he converted the entire Greyhawk module that can take characters up to level 30. He also did a module based on the little known, but very welcome, Gamma World. :salute:

Jaesun converted the entire Castle Caldwell and Beyond BECMI book consisting of around 5 adventures into a module back in 2015.

Our own Null Null created his own modules recently too, a recent one dealing with the Cthulhu mythos. And Dorateen did some work back in 2017. Let's here it for the Codex.

The prolific and amazing Ray Dyer has been converting modules as recent as 2017. The guy is a fucking hero. It's amazing that FRUA still has people developing for it to this day. Next year will be its 30th anniversary.

Not that I feel I need to toot my own horn, but I've also created a great many top-rated modules for the community over the last 20+ years, including contest winners and modules listed in the Top 10. They don't ever seem to get much recognition outside the community, though; because they are original stories and not based on pre-written TSR modules.

In fact, a lot of great modules in the community get overlooked by outsiders for that same reason. Converting a pre-written module isn't as hard as coming up with something original. Nobody ever seems to appreciate that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In fact, a lot of great modules in the community get overlooked by outsiders for that same reason. Converting a pre-written module isn't as hard as coming up with something original. Nobody ever seems to appreciate that.

The massive number of modules works against original stuff. Most people who would like to check out FRUA modules have played the Goldbox games and want more. So the first stuff they obviously check out is stuff that feels like the Goldbox games, and adventure module conversions are perfect for that. But you have so much that most people just burn out on playing them before they ever reach the original stuff.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Thank you very much, ProphetSword . I, for one, really appreciate the effort. Even though real life seems continously to conspire against my having any time for playing FRUA :)

... to be honest, I'd now be completely lost as to how even to download and install a new module. Is there a FAQ for people who had a long break, like me? (I think my FRUA install is from GoG.)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Thank you very much, ProphetSword . I, for one, really appreciate the effort. Even though real life seems continously to conspire against my having any time for playing FRUA :)

... to be honest, I'd now be completely lost as to how even to download and install a new module. Is there a FAQ for people who had a long break, like me? (I think my FRUA install is from GoG.)

First page of this entire thread still has Jaesun's how to run FRUA and its pretty comprehensive and easy to follow

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
d2798fcf183468e6fc1ae4b3be4adf53.jpeg

Fun on the run.

Attachments

• frua.jpg
    frua.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Still a pain to play with touchscreen

I rarely need the touchscreen. The goofy nub above the ABXY buttons acts as the mouse, the shoulder buttons are the mouse buttons. the D-Pad are arrow keys, the A button is "Return", the B button is "Escape", the Y button is "Space", the X button is the joystick fire button, and the analog sldier stick is the joystick. I still have the R2 and L2 as space buttons that aren't assigned. So, basically, I have a limited keyboard, mouse and joystick all using the default 3DS controller. Now that said, the great thing about that touchscreen interface is that the keyboard is HUGE compared to most keyboards on the 3DS. I don't even need the stylus for it.

So far, I've managed to get all the Gold Box games working on it, including the Buck Rodgers games, using 3DS DosBox-SVN 0.3. Even Dungeon Hack and the EOB series work great with that set up. Master of Orion works flawlessly on it. The DarkSun games and Master of Magic are pretty much the limit. They're playable, but laggy.

It's pretty crazy what you can do with a homebrewed New 2DS XL/New 3DS XL.

solemgar

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still a pain to play with touchscreen

I rarely need the touchscreen. The goofy nub above the ABXY buttons acts as the mouse, the shoulder buttons are the mouse buttons. the D-Pad are arrow keys, the A button is "Return", the B button is "Escape", the Y button is "Space", the X button is the joystick fire button, and the analog sldier stick is the joystick. I still have the R2 and L2 as space buttons that aren't assigned. So, basically, I have a limited keyboard, mouse and joystick all using the default 3DS controller. Now that said, the great thing about that touchscreen interface is that the keyboard is HUGE compared to most keyboards on the 3DS. I don't even need the stylus for it.

So far, I've managed to get all the Gold Box games working on it, including the Buck Rodgers games, using 3DS DosBox-SVN 0.3. Even Dungeon Hack and the EOB series work great with that set up. Master of Orion works flawlessly on it. The DarkSun games and Master of Magic are pretty much the limit. They're playable, but laggy.

It's pretty crazy what you can do with a homebrewed New 2DS XL/New 3DS XL.
This is actually super cool! It is difficult to do the bindings with dosbox?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It is difficult to do the bindings with dosbox?
It's really easy. There's a touchscreen menu to do it. You select the button, then the touchscreen switches to a keyboard so you can assign what key you want that button to be. The mouse and joystick stuff are defaults.

If you don't have a New 3DS with it's little nub button, there's a button below the keyboard that turns the touchscreen in to a mousepad. It's kind of funny that they use the nub for a mouse on the New 3DS line, since it's so similar to the Lenovo laptop mouse nubs.

The only downside so far is that UASHELL doesn't seem to work with FRUA, or at least I haven't figured it out. It acts like it's working. Once you go to load something afterwards, all the directories appear blank. You type "dir" and nothing shows. So, I have all the Gold Box games playable on it, but I can't do any of the hacked FRUA modules without manually installing them.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone recommend me a combat heavy module that has minimal exploration?
The most combat-focused of the classic modules I can think of is U3: The Final Enemy. I'm about to run it for my gaming group and it's just a slog. I'm only running it because we really enjoyed U1 and U2, and this is the conclusion. 60 rooms, most either empty or full of sahuagin and their pet sharks. There are around 300 opponents in this module. A guy I never heard of named Larry Fewell merged this and Keep of the Borderlands and made a FRUA module called Keep of Saltmarsh here: http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php

I never played it, so can't speak to its quality.

Our own Jaesun created a module from the kinda crappy Castle Caldwell and Beyond tabletop adventures. Those are also straight-forward slogs. Walk into room. Maybe empty. Maybe not, with some dudes to kill and loot. Move onto next room. His module is titled B9CH1-2: B9 Castle Caldwell and Beyond - Chapters 1 & 2. Jaesun is a bro, so I'd recommend taking a look. http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/classic.php

Also, we have a new FRUA module that I'm interested in trying out sometime. Nol Drek is an experienced FRUA module creator and this last summer he made a mod based on Rise of the Runelords: http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/index.php

Too bad no one made a module of the 2nd part of B12: Queen's Harvest. That one is a simple room to room clearing of an entire fortress full of humanoid mercs.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
So scrolling through Drive Thru RPG for any new releases came across this.

I'm guessing they're selling the hint book and the FRUA module is available for free elsewhere? Anyone ever heard of it before if so or played it.
Hintbook for the Forgotton Realms Unlimited Adventures version of the Stopping Leland Campaign. Includes an overview of FRUA, history of the campaign, maps, primary walkthrough information, and more.
Includes the FRUA modules.

Campaign and Module Descriptions

Leland Weathertree, the son of Neverwinter Councilman Angus Weathertree, is using his prestige and influence to commit crimes against the city's inhabitants. From kidnapped sewer workers to mutated creatures to murder, Leland appears to have a hand in it all and is protected by his father at every step of the way. Stop Leland and ease the fear and loathing in Neverwinter.

SL1: Rich Kids and Their Toys
The city of Neverwinter has offered a reward for info about several city workers that have disappeared in two weeks. They were all last seen descending into the Wyvern Street sewers on their work assignment.

SL2: Dark Designs
Councilman Angus Weathertree has put up a reward for anyone willing to investigate the strange creatures seen in the River District which have been linked to several pet deaths.

SL3: Apple of My Eye
The River District is in an uproar after several teenagers disappeared while out in the fields or looking for their next job. Councilman Angus Weathertree insists they ran away and that guards in his district have no reason to get involved. Protesters demand that Angus act while the Rockfist Guard Company opens an investigation.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
So scrolling through Drive Thru RPG for any new releases came across this.

I'm guessing they're selling the hint book and the FRUA module is available for free elsewhere? Anyone ever heard of it before if so or played it.
Hintbook for the Forgotton Realms Unlimited Adventures version of the Stopping Leland Campaign. Includes an overview of FRUA, history of the campaign, maps, primary walkthrough information, and more.
Includes the FRUA modules.

Campaign and Module Descriptions
Leland Weathertree, the son of Neverwinter Councilman Angus Weathertree, is using his prestige and influence to commit crimes against the city's inhabitants. From kidnapped sewer workers to mutated creatures to murder, Leland appears to have a hand in it all and is protected by his father at every step of the way. Stop Leland and ease the fear and loathing in Neverwinter.

SL1: Rich Kids and Their Toys
The city of Neverwinter has offered a reward for info about several city workers that have disappeared in two weeks. They were all last seen descending into the Wyvern Street sewers on their work assignment.

SL2: Dark Designs
Councilman Angus Weathertree has put up a reward for anyone willing to investigate the strange creatures seen in the River District which have been linked to several pet deaths.

SL3: Apple of My Eye
The River District is in an uproar after several teenagers disappeared while out in the fields or looking for their next job. Councilman Angus Weathertree insists they ran away and that guards in his district have no reason to get involved. Protesters demand that Angus act while the Rockfist Guard Company opens an investigation.

I wouldn't say they're "selling" the cluebook, since it's free.

You can find a forum thread about the game on the Unlimited Adventures forums in this location, which includes links to the cluebook and other text files, as well as the actual game files:
https://forums.goldbox.games/index.php?topic=4436.0

Bara

Arcane
Ah damn I didn't not actually pay attention to the price at all my bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom