Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Former EA CEO John Riccitiello is now head of Unity

himmy

Arcane
I don't trust him, he has mean little eyes. Also, he was the CEO of EA.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/22/7039683/electronic-arts-john-riccitiello-unity-ceo

Former chief executive officer of Electronic Arts John Riccitiello has a new role: CEO of Unity Technologies, the company that develops the popular cross-platform game engine Unity.

In a post from Unity founder David Helgason, who's stepping down as CEO but staying with the company, he says Riccitiello is "the right person to help guide the company to the mission that we set out for ourselves over a decade ago: democratize game development!"

Helgason says that Unity has been "making some big moves" lately, pointing to the company's investment in new partnerships and technologies.

"This is a lot to take on as a company and building it right is going to take a huge effort,"Helgason writes. "We keep our eyes out for the best talent and help wherever we feel we can use it at every level. That's why today, I'm pleased to welcome John Riccitiello onto the Unity team as our new CEO. Sure, that sounds odd, as it also means I'm stepping down from the role, but this is an amazing win for Unity and the community.

"Many of you are likely familiar with John. He's been in the games industry for a long time, both as COO and later CEO of Electronic Arts. He's also helped fund and guide some notable startups like Oculus and Syntertainment among many others, and is a heartfelt believer in the indie scene and its importance to the overall well-being of the industry."

Riccitiello was head of EA from 2007 to 2013. He announced his resignation from the publisher last year, saying he was accountable for the company missing financial guidance and falling short of its internal operating plan in a letter to EA's board. Riccitiello was succeeded by executive chairman Larry Probst. The publisher's new CEO, Andrew Wilson, was appointed last September.

What does Riccitiello's new role at Unity mean for the company, Helgason asks.

"Not too much, since John completely agrees with our vision and our strategy," he says. "If anything it means that we'll be more focused than ever about making sure everyone has access to the best technology and services. We want all of you to have the best tools and opportunities, and we're going to do everything we can to make that happen across the board."

Unity is available across a wide variety of platforms, including Android, iOS, Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Leonorai

Novice
I wish people would stop using Unity.
If this guy has any clout within the dev team, they'll inevitably stop as it turns into a mound of feces.

Guy seems like a typical Lumbergh-style character, let em enjoy his sneering presence.

Angthoron

Arcane
Where's your god now, Perkel

Also, ouch.

heh looks like Unity is for some reason my god.
Also i wonder how the hell they had money to hire dude like that.
I'm just teasing you. You can't expect to walk way free after that thread ;)

Dunno, maybe he wasn't getting any deals anywhere else. Once you hit the top, there are employment issues due to "overqualification" sometimes. Although this probably means that he might sell Unity to EA budget titles now, and maybe to sports line.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Shit, EA's coming for Obsidian and InXile.

That John's like a Trojan horse. Remember when he became CEO of the company that owned Bioware and Pandemic? And then he brought it all back to EA? Yeah.

T's like, a consipracy, man.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm just teasing you. You can't expect to walk way free after that thread ;)

Dunno, maybe he wasn't getting any deals anywhere else. Once you hit the top, there are employment issues due to "overqualification" sometimes. Although this probably means that he might sell Unity to EA budget titles now, and maybe to sports line.
There's no way EA's major sports lines go to unity. They'll either keep using what they have or switch to Frostbyte.

A user named cat

I wonder when EA's scumbag NFL monopoly runs out so we can finally get 2K football games again, it's been long enough. ESPN NFL 2K5 for PS2 is still better than the latest Madden titles which is downright pathetic given the current-gen tech they could take advantage of if they actually tried.

:patriot:

Do they not understand the reputation and publicity implications of a decision like this? Unless the company becomes significantly more popular over time (which will never happen now with Unreal competing at the free entry level) it'll inevitably be blamed on John Ricciatello as the former mastermind of EA during one of its worst phases. I can't really imagine a worse appointment.

Black

Arcane
Welp, I had some hopes for Unity and this is what I get.
Hopes, never again.

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
This is shit. Absolute fucking shit.

Anyone ever use the C4 engine? Apparently it has got a new update and license deal. $88 with a years worth of free updates. Could be worth checking out for some peeps.

curry

Arcane
John Riccitiello is one of the assholes who came up with this "wider audience" crap. Not gonna touch Unity games again

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
dun dun dun duuuuunnnn

anyhoo, in before unity sells itself to ea for a symbolic dollar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom