Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forspoken - action-RPG from Square Enix with cringe protagonist

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
It is still mind-numbing to me that the decide to go with this shit instead of trying to take the concept of Agni's Philosophy and turn it into a full game as many people wanted back then, even asking for it to become the next mainline Final Fantasy. SQ has to be one of the most retarded game developers out there.

They should stick to making turn-based JRPGs with fancy graphics. I don't care about their attempts at innovation. I might even consider playing a new turn-based Final Fantasy with friends. But their newer twitchy "innovative" action stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
They should stick to making turn-based JRPGs with fancy graphics. I don't care about their attempts at innovation. I might even consider playing a new turn-based Final Fantasy with friends. But their newer twitchy "innovative" action stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.
FF has never recovered the relevance it had when it was TB. But we're assured that TB is obsolete and people only want action RPGs. Meanwhile the latest low effort pokemon sells gorillions.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
FF has never recovered the relevance it had when it was TB. But we're assured that TB is obsolete and people only want action RPGs. Meanwhile the latest low effort pokemon sells gorillions.

Yakuza Like A Dragon did good enough to keep the series going TB

Metacritic scores:
3.7 on PS5 with 583 reviews
2.0 on PC with 177 reviews
3.3 overall with 760 reviews
67 on PS5 from 72 critics (with one 50 score on PC)

PC users are more based than PS5 users, to no-one's surprise.

Just noticed in the right column a heading called Awards & Rankings, where Forspoken is announced as the #1 Most Discussed PlayStation 5 Game of 2023

Metacritic scores:

Just noticed in the right column a heading called Awards & Rankings, where Forspoken is announced as the #1 Most Discussed PlayStation 5 Game of 2023
The PC version is horrifically optimized so it just has additional things to complain about.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Metacritic scores:

The PC version is horrifically optimized so it just has additional things to complain about.
Also better quality gamers. My console-only brothers would possibly get a kick out of this game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
It'll take a lot of time for everyone to readjust.

Forspoken is a particularly bone-headed case since its design principles seem to be drawn from 360/PS3-era superhero games. Making a new fucking Crackdown isn't a hard call. This team worked on FF15 which had it's own ups and downs, but the takeaway seems to have been get rid of the party mechanics and semi-interesting combat and just make the world gigantic.

I was hoping the minor media event where all the devs were bitching about how Elden Ring was loved while generic open world shit with a million tutorials and map events was panned would eventually lead to some changes and better direction in these types of games. Maybe I was too optimistic, or maybe it will take 1-2 years for dev teams to re-align.
Elden Ring came out a year ago, a big open world gaym takes 4+ years to make. It'll take a lot of time for everyone to readjust.

Also how could anyone think this was written by actual Japs? This shit reeks of Bay Area attitude, mindset and lingo, of course it was written by some SoCal dangerhairs and fedora soyface male feminists.
While that's true, minor adjustments a year or two before release should still be possible. I'm not talking massive story changes but just things like "don't make the first 6 hours of the game 50% tutorials" and "delete the ability to have x-ray vision and see every piece of content indicated on the map, let players explore to find things (at least for anything optional)". I'm sure getting a california dev team to write decent dialog would require something like an exorcism but gameplay at least should be malleable to them.

Ravielsk

Magister
It is still mind-numbing to me that the decide to go with this shit instead of trying to take the concept of Agni's Philosophy and turn it into a full game as many people wanted back then, even asking for it to become the next mainline Final Fantasy. SQ has to be one of the most retarded game developers out there.

Its actually mildly insulting how they could take such a visually inspired idea and somehow turn it into a generic unity asset flip. The original tech demo at least looked unique but Forspoken is literary so generic that if I was told its some Destiny 2 DLC I would not even question it.

sosmoflux

Educated
Imagine making a hype tech demo only to let Americans work on it for 10 years and release a total disaster.

In a sane world this would kick off Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imagine making a hype tech demo only to let Americans work on it for 10 years and release a total disaster.

U.S.-versus-World-Military-Spending-2021.jpeg

a8f71051bc3937b714918b757041682c.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane

5 years.

It started in 2018 after Luminous was split off from Square Enix (it's still a subsidiary) and made its own specific more *international* company with 20 non-japanese employees and a company specific internal translator (not for the game, but literary translating for day to day work). Then they threw this at them and decided to hire a bunch of overseas american tv writers for the writing.

And thus Forspoken was born.

(AFAIK at least. Somebody can correct me if a detail is wrong).

Mortmal

Arcane
AGEiuHT.jpg

And why this game is here in RPG category? This game has less RPG in it than FC3.
If anything, it gives me the idea to fetch some old PS2 titles i maybe missed. It's incredible how much more optimized those games were. Forspoken demand a 3070 for 30fps at 1440p.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah but

5 years.

Oh ok, idk. That Agni's Prophecy video above was posted 10 years ago though.
Yeah, Agni was *just* a tech demo for the engine. Then Final Fantasy 15 and the whole mess came and went, and afterwards this game was made. Game Director said Forspoken isn't meant to be *Agni's Philosophy: the game*. Who knows though, it's a horribly managed team/studio to begin with.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's incredible how much more optimized those games were. Forspoken demand a 3070 for 30fps at 1440p.

Simple. Diversity hires + ESG score. Hardware evolved a lot thanks to Taiwan semiconductor industries but software become far less optimized with the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom