Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forums are up...

racofer

Thread Incliner
I get that people need to "go with the times" (omfg popamole!11 ) - but why is the codex the only exception from this rule - all other, even the newest feauture ridden web 2.0 forums don't have this problem? :/

DarkUnderlord, 10 years from now:

DarkUnderlord said:
wrfkmr.jpg

Codex 3.0 is up...

Had to upgrade the forum software since XenForo was heading into the wrong direction and that was pissing me off. Damned youngsters.

Crispy said:
Uhh... glad to see that 1024x is now finally supported. I can't see anything above that resolution, words are too damned small.

DarkUnderlord said:
wrfkmr.jpg

Yeah well, I figured out that that issue with resolutions was probably one of my modifications to the forum code. I could've fixed that when I first wrote it, but I didn't feel like doing so.

Talutain said:
I told you that was your code.

On a side note, I give the Codex an internet whenever I change my IP, which happens about once a week. Plus, I gave internets at work using both our networks over there, and through 3 of my friends's computers. Thinking about it, I've probably given the Codex around 50 internets so far this year.

Stella Brando

Arcane
voices in my head what is this I don't even tortoises dark underloard dug too greedily and too deep somebody help me my mind is going the voices the voices

Marobug

HARR FUCK FINALLY I WAS GETTING TIRED OF THE WATCHAND THEIR FUCKING LAME no caps LIMITATION.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Some of the avatars look pretty bad because they are much bigger now.

Muad'Dib has looked better

Kz3r0

Arcane
Oh joy, no more clouds.
It feels more and more as the old Codex by the minute.:love:

Muro

Educated
(unless it doesn't scale to smaller sizes).

That's the thing, it doesn't. Fixed is pretty swell for wide monitors with high resolutions, but as opposed to fluid it implements the necessity to continually scroll horizontally while having a smaller resolution. Good to see the latest RPG Codex style doesn't have this problem.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I'm guessing the number of internets isn't going up much because most people have already given them and don't feel like switching to a new IP just to give them again.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Dark Underlord, when I first saw your Give Internets message, I honestly thought it was aimed just at me.

Maybe because I had mentioned Bladerunner?

Made me feel quite paranoid.

On an unrelated note, these forums are quite g(r)ay.

Have you considered something more blue?

gromit

Arcane
If we can give the troll its own block just instead #header we can give it a z-index OVER NINE THOUSAND and click all elements visible and clickable.

CSS intended for the Temp Codex style.

Code:
/* code label color fix */

.bbCodeBlock .type {
  color: #020;
}

/* panel bg color fixes */

.PanelScroller .panel
, .PanelScrollerOff .panel
{
    background: transparent !important;
}

/* pager color fixes */

.PageNav a
{
    color: inherit !important;
    background-color: #333 !important;
}
.PageNav a.currentPage
, .PageNav a:hover
, .PageNav a:focus
{
    background-color: #666 !important;
    border-color: #CEF;
}

/* header deco fixes and sticky interface */

#headerMover #header > * {
    z-index: 7000;
}

#headerMover #headerProxy
{
    height: 116px;
}

#header #navigation
{
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    width: 100%;
    background: #2C3C4F !important;
}

.navTabs
{
    padding-left: 128px;
    border-bottom: none;
}

.navTabs .navTab.selected .tabLinks {
    margin-left: 128px;
}

#searchBar
{
    top: 40px;
    right: 0px;
}

.formPopup .controlsWrapper {
    background: inherit;
}

#header #logoBlock
{
    position: absolute;
    padding-top: 32px;
    padding-left: 123px;
background: transparent
url(http://www.rpgcodex.net/system/templates/rexblue/images/troll/troll_16.png)
no-repeat;
}

gromit

Arcane
Minor color fixes, yet troll needs its own element within #header for a higher z-index (it will need to be its own element anyway for clickability)
awdoc6.jpg

... but header i'face follows scroll:
24o9e6x.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
You can't expect everything to stay stuck in 2002 your while life.

Am I expected to buy 2 larger-than-1024 monitors, one of them CRT (because that's the way I roll, baby), in order to read the Kodex comfortably? Yeah, right. 1024 is still the base resolution standart, and it's not going anywhere for years. Anything else is nextgen popamole unsuitable to play real RPGs in all their 320x200 glory.

Thanks for the "fluid" stuff, I guess, if it does the job of looking properly on 1024.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
:lol: I didn't even realize there was a message in that box. White background with white text. Might be because I'm still using Firefox 2.xx

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Am I expected to buy 2 larger-than-1024 monitors, one of them CRT (because that's the way I roll, baby), in order to read the Kodex comfortably? Yeah, right. 1024 is still the base resolution standart, and it's not going anywhere for years. Anything else is nextgen popamole unsuitable to play real RPGs in all their 320x200 glory.

Thanks for the "fluid" stuff, I guess, if it does the job of looking properly on 1024.
Actually no, you're just expected to raise your resolution to 1280+ like the civilized world has cca. 2005. 1024 hasn't been the standard since the LCDs took over (years ago), which have had base resolutions of 1280+ for more than 6 years now. Unless you still live in Soviet Russia, nobody clings to CRTs any more. Nobody sensible, anyway.

Ever heard of windowed mode?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If we can give the troll its own block just instead #header we can give it a z-index OVER NINE THOUSAND and click all elements visible and clickable.

Code:
/* code label color fix */

.bbCodeBlock .type {
  color: #020;
}

/* panel bg color fixes */

.PanelScroller .panel
, .PanelScrollerOff .panel
{
}

/* pager color fixes */

.PageNav a
{
    color: inherit !important;
    background-color: #333 !important;
}
.PageNav a.currentPage
, .PageNav a:hover
, .PageNav a:focus
{
    background-color: #666 !important;
    border-color: #CEF;
}

/* header deco fixes and sticky interface */

#headerMover #header > * {
    z-index: 7000;
}

#headerMover #headerProxy
{
    height: 116px;
}

#header #navigation
{
    top: 0;
    width: 100%;
    background: #2C3C4F !important;
}

.navTabs
{
    padding-left: 128px;
    border-bottom: none;
}

.navTabs .navTab.selected .tabLinks {
    margin-left: 128px;
}

#searchBar
{
    top: 40px;
    right: 0px;
}

.formPopup .controlsWrapper {
    background: inherit;
}

#header #logoBlock
{
    position: absolute;
    padding-top: 32px;
    padding-left: 123px;
background: transparent
url(http://www.rpgcodex.net/system/templates/rexblue/images/troll/troll_16.png)
no-repeat;
}

3/4 of that shit doesn't work or needs way more classes defined to look right. And if we started sticking everything in extra.css it'd be such a mess in a week you couldn't find your way out of anything that needed to be changed later with a map. Everything that is possible to define outside of extra is definitely going to be. Extra's only reserved for when there's no other option.

gromit

Arcane
What browser is it broken in, or what is broken specifically? This is against webkit and works fine until you're at like 640 wide. Most of the properties are intended to replace existing ones; I kept the designation 1:1 for ids and classes where possible, and some might need an !important tucked on.

You cranky fuck.

mondblut

Arcane
1024 hasn't been the standard since the LCDs took over (years ago), which have had base resolutions of 1280+ for more than 6 years now. Unless you still live in Soviet Russia, nobody clings to CRTs any more. Nobody sensible, anyway.

If Oblivion is the oldest game you play, sure, CRT is obsolete. As for me, I want to see proper pixels at proper aspect ratios in my games, not a blurry and "filtered" mess of goo.

desocupado

Magister
Ever heard of ctrl+wheel scroll? Just because you need extra large fonts doesn't mean you have to be stuck with a prehistoric resolution. I need a larger font as well but I just enlarge text where needed. Otherwise I'd still be stuck on 800x600. Change to 1280 and you'll be grateful for the extra space.

You can't expect everything to stay stuck in 2002 your while life. As I explained, I changed it to fixed width because it's easier to read. If you had a wide monitor (like 90%+ of people today), you'd want exactly that because you'd want to have the width you had on your non-wide monitor, not stretched lines you'd need to turn your head to read. Well, you've got masochists who enjoy that too, of course, but that's not my point...

I already use ctrl+wheel scroll, in 1024. Shit is too small by default.

Also, I haven't got a wide monitor because for the height (if the height is smaller, things get smaller than before, even if you have a lot of space on the side) to be bigger than my old 17 inch, I would need a 21,5 inch wide. Which is kinda expensive for a very little gain in size of stuff. Just more side area.

You could just, you know, fix the maximum width, and make the minimum very small.

But I selected fluid. It's nice now.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea, of course, I could just squeeze the fixed width to work on 1024... but that'd be really pretty small. Catering to probably less than 5% of users still on a 1024 res with a style just doesn't make much sense. So in that respect the fluid style is good for the neck-exercising masochists as well as the cavemen with 1024 resolutions. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom