Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Forums are up...

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Username looks fine.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
8URAs.png

So the white text-on-white-background thing wasn't just me after all.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Firefox 3.xx using the default codex style. Username is on one line and looks fine.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It all depends on your font size, the more you enlarge it, the more of the long username will get pushed into the next line.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I have to say again the whole quoting system sucks. If you need more database space hold a goddamn fundraiser. This is not the poorest group if internet forum dwellers I have ever seen.

Damned Registrations

If you need the money that badly you'd probably get more just by saying so in a normal thread in GD. I'd imagine only a small fraction of users bother with site feedback forum, with the exception of the current situation obviously.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
BTW your donation page is screwed. I'm drunk and was going to give you money but apparently you don't want it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ooh. We need those ads where they highlight words in our posts and link to shit to buy!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
OSK as a fellow proud American :patriot: I'm telling you to stop fucking around. You are irritating me.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The ads outside content are so easy to scroll by that most people have no trouble completely ignoring them. And ads that nobody looks at nobody clicks. Harsh reality of the situation. Ads in threads have been a standard feature on most gaming sites for years because gamers are especially prone to either blocking ads or completely ignoring them if they appear in the typical unintrusive positions. And putting ads in places that make it easy to ignore them is obviously counterproductive. Given the really low number of ads here (most gaming/tech sites have at least twice as many or more per page, not counting various interstitials, full page takeovers, etc.) I think this shouldn't be hard to understand.

And we'll have the patronage option to remove ads back soon enough, so true Codex patriots will never be bothered by any ads.

paco, the Donate button at http://www.rpgcodex.net/ works... I'll set it up on the boards later today.

Damned Registrations

What is the actual cost/income ratio for the site users and all the ads? Does a person without an adblocker that never clicks anything pay for his share of the site? Two peoples worth? How many people does 20$ cover for how long?

I'll probably make a donation when you get things set back up. I kind of meant to back when you guys were toying around with adding image hosting for LPs but never got around to it.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Heh, this isn't a business, we don't have financial spreadsheets. I just need to make sure that we can pay all the bills and are able to afford any necessary upgrades and software purchases. The income varies wildly from month to month because of different ad campaigns, different ad providers, seasonal lulls, etc. and it's pooled together from several websites sharing the server. If nobody used ad blockers, it probably wouldn't be that problematic even if nobody clicked on the ads. But the specific Codex situation is that a large chunk of members blocks all the ads, while the others who don't usually don't even see that ads are there - and get terribly upset when one shows up outside of their blind spots. I probably don't need to explain what that means in terms of ad clicks. And it isn't that much different on the other sites, maybe just less pronounced. So I'm just grateful for every member here who doesn't block ads. For all I know, they're already in minority. It's the donation drives that we run every year or two that offset most of the bigger expenses.

Damned Registrations

I'm just curious if you could just get rid of the ads for everyone with say, twice as many donations as you currently get.

Damned Registrations

If it makes you feel any better, I'm screwing over the webcomics I read even worse. I have a program that just rips the comic images from the site when they update so I don't even have to see the rest of the site unless I feel like it.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'm just curious if you could just get rid of the ads for everyone with say, twice as many donations as you currently get.

Definitely not. The number of donations made outside of the donation drives is relatively small, as are the donation sums. And most people who donate once never do so again. So donations only wouldn't be a sustainable means of paying for the expenses. Especially not for as long as the recession lasts when donations have dried up pretty much everywhere.

garren

Arcane
Patron
You know, shit got me thinking. Ads suck, everyone hates them, welcome to the 21st century. I know some sites depend on them to get revenue, but most people just block them like Taluntain said. Hell, I think that ads are a deterrent to sites because they're mostly so goddamn butt-ugly. Also:
It's the donation drives that we run every year or two that offset most of the bigger expenses.
So Codex gets a lot of its revenue from donations in the end anyway. Nothing wrong with that, just look at how great Wikipedia is doing. It would be a much nicer experience for everyone to have no ads, just make it clear that Codex is run on donations, so if people you like it, please donate etc. etc. You can have your normal donation drives if revenue becomes a problem.

If all else fails, go back to the damn ads. All I'm saying is that maybe you should try how that setup works for a change.

EDIT: Outdone by Taluntain, yay.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If it makes you feel any better, I'm screwing over the webcomics I read even worse. I have a program that just rips the comic images from the site when they update so I don't even have to see the rest of the site unless I feel like it.

Not really, no... it's just the kind of behaviour that you get so accustomed to that you don't really give it a second thought unless somebody makes you I guess. Well, most people wouldn't even then.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I just sent you a PM about my donation Tal - I want results.

edit: er - Would like some results.

edit2: Remember I could have given that money to starving children in Africa and then where would we be?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom