Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Foxhole - now available on Early Access

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not playing this game because I oppose gunpowder weaponry and believe ranged combat is OP

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I got to be part of a tank assault as a gunner for the first game. Tanks are really the stalemate crusher. Though, I'm not sure I agree with the commander that deciding to stay in the fight without shells was the best idea.

Another thing. I wonder how much resources an attack like this ate up. After this assault we haven't had access to mortar shells for ages for an example. Not sure if it's connected or not.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is this in "strategy games"? Isnt' this a action game?

MMO-sub forums fits better maybe. Apparently all the maps will be interconnected in the future, so it's gonna get even more "mmo" like.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Watched the dev-stream last night and they revealed some nice stuff. New amphibious APC is in the works, boats and sea-transports for vehicles. They also showed a new map that will use these vehicles. 3 small islands, with the factions starting north and south with one island as neutral. Or so I think anyway. Really looking forward to sea battles :)

Pic below:
devstreamaug22.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Sorry to say the game (when playing campaign at least) suffer from some serious team-stacking. The Wardens in the community are seen as the cool guys, which means that every streamer are playing them which lead to everyone and their mother wants to play them. That means that the join queue get messed up since everyone just wait in the team selection instead of picking the lesser cool team. Apparently the devs will fix this with separate queues but if they don't wash away the stigma that the Colonials only consists of newbies and kids the game will end up in rather miserable place.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Sorry to say the game (when playing campaign at least) suffer from some serious team-stacking. The Wardens in the community are seen as the cool guys, which means that every streamer are playing them which lead to everyone and their mother wants to play them. That means that the join queue get messed up since everyone just wait in the team selection instead of picking the lesser cool team. Apparently the devs will fix this with separate queues but if they don't wash away the stigma that the Colonials only consists of newbies and kids the game will end up in rather miserable place.
OH FFS. All you need is proper chain of command. Get it done!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
God fucking damn it. "Crowd fighting" games with absolutely no team balancing mechanisms in place. Just relying on players to naturally build fair teams out of the goodness of their hearts, because no one likes to join an overwhelmingly stronger team, right? So fucking stupid, this is basic basic basic shit to make this type of game work. Thread unsubscribed, game unwishlisted, words fail me how stupid these devs are. "Just whoever joins, joins! 50 vs 10 will be fun! Get good and recruit more, it'll self-balance!" Uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
You are being a bit over-dramatic though. It will be fixed and it's not that you can join the team when it's unbalanced like that because it will say that the team you want to join is full. The problem is that you can sit in queue and wait. So when it says 50 vs 70 it means that 20 players are sitting and waiting to join the Wardens instead of joining the Colonials.

Otherwise, the servers that the streamers are not playing on actually has proper balance. On one campaign map the Colonials even won apparently :)

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

Not sure what you mean, but people join what is most popular. But anyway, sometimes there is a clear chain of command. The devs do have their own discord and have several channels there for people to talk about attack plans, logistics and stuff like that. Wardens usually have the most active channels though.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I joined Alienman and we did a couple of raids together.
The game is fun.
But there are so many things going on that often I get lost and just wander around. It gets better though.
The best part of the game is that its so dynamic that it creates situations that feel really cool. Like just now I shot down two enemies while a teammate was being resurrected next to me, felt gud

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Not sure what you mean, but people join what is most popular. But anyway, sometimes there is a clear chain of command. The devs do have their own discord and have several channels there for people to talk about attack plans, logistics and stuff like that. Wardens usually have the most active channels though.
Proper chain of command implies assignment too. ;)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
The community is a fickle bunch. Now all of sudden the Colonist is the favored faction.
It seems to swing back and forth though. But you know what fucks up the balance the most? The defeatists actually. The guys that leave their faction because they are "losing". The thing is, you haven't lost until your HQ has been blown up and there is always a way to swing things around, but it seems players nowadays just wanna win. Sad. AND! It's actually fun losing too. Making that last stand and just being a pain in the neck to the attackers. Some things these defeatists are missing out on. Jimmious knows what I'm talking about :)

Anyway. The team released a small update today:
http://www.foxholegame.com/single-post/2017/08/30/Foxhole-03-Release-Notes

Mines are in. Will only blow up heavier vehicles, like tanks and half-tracks. Can be spotted and disabled by infantry using the wrench.

And now you will be able to do to CPR on a downed soldier, to keep him alive until a medic can get to him. When you get shot the timer counts down 15 seconds until death, but CPR will increase that timer. Cool small mechanic. I'm hoping they will add some way to carry or drag away wounded in the future though.

The 14th September there will be another patch. It will add the amphibious APCs and such.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I still play it.

World conquest is supposed to come out the second November. So that will be interesting. The game really needs a pick-me-up at the moment. They made the mistake of releasing the "sea"-maps without proper vehicles to support it. So whenever the campaign rotate to that map it goes into a stalemate. But with the next patch they will add heavy patrol boats and they should be able to clear up beach defenses and such so you can actually land and take over stuff.

Otherwise it's still a great game. It seems the factions have leveled out a bit, more equal now even if Warden seem to still attract the cooler kids. Teamwork is the real joy here, and the random cooperation between players. Still as fun to cry out for moma when you go down and it's still as fun as ever to watch someone else do it :)

Here is the latest devblog:

http://www.foxholegame.com/single-post/2017/10/25/Devblog-31

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
So the patch is out now, but they had to push up world conquest mode to the end of the month. But the new gun-boats are out and finally, separated faction queues! So no more 50-70 and so on.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Okay, time for another update. Been a long time now. The game is much more balanced now! They have a better queue system, and well, there isn't a favored team anymore it seems. So that is good! The last couple of weeks I have been part of some really cool and balanced battles. Otherwise the devs have released a lot of new patches for the game (the mmo part isn't here yet though!). Mostly balance things, but also a few new vehicles and mechanics. Like spotting is in the game now, but you need to carry around a radio-pack on your back to be able to do that. When you spot enemies or friendlies the map gets updated in real-time with dots of different kinds. For those without the radio-pack it's very useful for finding the front. Before this you had to ask in chat and hope for the best. You do need a small radio in your inventory to get constant updates. But when you visit a forward base of a town HQ you get an updated map. Playing a spotter can be kinda fun if you like painting the map with dots, and well, you are guaranteed to be helping your team if you ever feel you are not contributing to the team effort.

So now after over 200 hours in-game it's time to talk about the infantry weapons!

Infantry Weapons

Bolt-action Rifle: Long range, kills in one or two shots. Will be your standard weapon. Very accurate, but slow firing. Can be equipped with a bayonet or a rifle grenade kit.
Carbine: Semi-automatic fire, kills in one or two shots, but not as accurate as the bolt action rifle. Good when you need to lay down cover fire. It also weight less, so it's a good weapon to use when playing medic, engineer or something like that.
Submachine gun: Close quarters weapons, kills in a few shots, but every shot has a higher chance of causing bleeding on your enemy. The problem is the weapon feels overall fairly useless. If you shoot from standing or crouching position your shots will go all over the place, and while you miss with your shots a guy with a rifle will take you out. It's a fun weapon at times, but I have a hard time seeing the role for it on the battlefield which I find is a shame.
Storm-Rifle: Late game weapon. It's basically the STG44. Not as accurate as the bolt-action rifle, but has two modes. Semi and fully automatic. Good weapon in a pinch when you need to spray and pray. It's very heavy though and you will be slowed down while carrying it.
Shotgun: High spread, have a high chance of causing bleeding and kills in one or two shots. Also have a knock-back effect. You need to get in close, but compared to the SMG you don't even need to aim to hit someone with this weapon. It's a late game research, but I find the weapon total horse-shit, especially since it performs better than the SMG. This weapons has caused many rage-quits for me.
Heavy-Machine gun: 50 round magazine machine gun that fires high caliber bullets. Tears down men and week covers in seconds! If you ever come under fire by a MG the only thing you can do is to pray. It does have draw-backs though. It's very heavy, and can only be fired from stationary position, prone or sitting. It doesn't have the biggest arc of fire, so if you can get past that arc you can often flank and kill these pesky machine-gunners! They are also slow, so a grenade often takes them out while they try to flee.
Pistol: Standard 9mm pistol that every character starts with. Medium rate of fire, short range and kills in about three to four hits. Not a good weapon to use as your standard weapon, but if you are playing as a dedicated medic or engineer you might not need anything heavier. Better than nothing for personal defense, but if you are attacked while only having this weapon it's better to just flee. Since everyone starts with this weapon you can find plenty of magazines on the battlefield so there will always be plenty of ammo to scavenge.
Revolver: High powered personal defense weapon. Late game research and kills in one or two hits. It has longer range than the standard pistol and is much better overall. The ultimate backup weapon for a medic for an example. One drawback is it only holds 6 rounds and in a pinch you can find yourself running out of ammo quick!

Infantry Explosives

Grenade:
Standard frag-grenade. Can be throw fairly far. If you hold down your mouse button before throwing you can prime it, and with practice you will be able to get grenades to explode the moment they land next to your enemies. They incapacitate more often than kill, but a second grenade on the same spot will make short work of the survivors and also probably a couple of medics trying to help the wounded. Geneva convention haven't been written yet in this world, so don't worry about the ethical consequences of these tactics! With the rifle grenade kit for the bolt-action rifle you can extend your range with a lot. Good for taking out engineers behind enemy lines for an example. You can't prime it in this mode though!
Smoke-Grenade: Good way to conceal your attack. Remember it works both ways and while concealing you, the smoke will not protect you from bullets. The smoke grenade is a requirement when fighting foxholes and entrenched positions. A good use of the smoke grenade is to throw two or more to fake out your enemy. If you only throw one they know which "smoke-area" you will be coming from and if a MG decides to fire into that smoke... well, things will probably not end up well for you and your comrades.
Green-Ash: Grenade filled with poison gas. Will kill infantry and people in vehicles, and entrenched positions without gas-masks very quickly. A very good weapon for area denial and to put terror in the enemy. Like mentioned the gas-grenade is very useful for taking out vehicles. The best part with this is that you then can capture the vehicle. Most drivers will equip themselves with gas-masks but sometimes you encounter someone that forgot their mask.
HE-grenade: Heavy grenade to take take out vehicles and entrenched positions. Does very little damage to infantry if you don't score a direct hit. HE-grenades are very heavy and will slow you down. Often in a assault you will have people dedicated to carry these grenades. Most of the time they will only be equipped with a pistol or at times nothing at all. It is your job to protect these brave men! You can not throw them very far either, but this weapon in combination with the smoke-grenade can cause serious damage in a short amount of time to entrenched positions.
Satchel-Charge: Big satchel with a big bomb inside. Very heavy but will do heavy damage to structures! Good to take out bridges for an example. One problem with the weapon is that it can't be thrown so you will have to go up to the place where you want it planted and more often than not this will be a suicide mission. It has an arming timer as well.
Bazooka: Heavy weapon with a medium range. Good for taking out vehicles and foxholes. A direct hit will take out infantry as well. The weapon and its rocket ammo are very heavy though. Not very useful for assaults, but a good weapon to use in a defensive position. Especially when attacked by vehicles. Most drivers will turn around when attacked by this weapon. It takes a couple of rockets to totally destroy a vehicle, but this of course depends on the vehicle. A truck will get demolished by one rocket, while a Half-track can take two or three rockets depending on how good hits you score.
Mortar: Fires high explosive rounds on a long distance. Good for taking out smaller structures and artillery positions. Very heavy weapon and so are the mortar shells. To be 100% effective with the mortar you need to be a two man team. One with binoculars acting as a spotter and of course the mortar handler. When under attack as a mortar team, I recommend ditching the equipment and run away. You will never make it away while carrying all that heavy equipment. In general (if not specialized) all other infantry men are 50-100% more agile than you.

Will write a little about the vehicles next time I think. Anyway, some other stuff before I close out this post. First off, this is a great time to buy the game. It is currently 33% off on Steam, and the game got a large influx of new players over this holiday. So you wouldn't be alone as new.

14 Euro (or dollar) is not much to pay for this excellent game!

And secondly, they won the Indie game of the year over at indiedb!

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Okay, let's talk about the vehicles in Foxhole and its uses!

Like true to life infantry will be the backbone of the combat forces. Vehicles have of course the potential to change the tide of the war when used correctly, but it has also the potential to hamper the war effort if used badly. In this game a well placed infantry man can take out a tank, and you can figure out the loss cost of that. For an example a tank takes a lot of effort to build. It requires the combined effort of scavengers that scavenge the fields for metals, people to refine these metals and then of course the engineers that has to build these war-machines. That is not all though, the tank needs explosive ammunition too! Which takes sulfur, a precious commodity in the Foxhole setting. It only spawns on certain places, and it takes a while for it to spawn again after collected. So you see, a tank is a valuable thing indeed if you look at it purely from a cost-production viewpoint, and if used correctly this won't matter since like I said these machines have the potential to break a stalemate or a hard defense. But if the tanks are wasted, you might not have enough resources for artillery, defenses and stuff like that later on in the war. It's a nice balance for risk and reward!

Land-based Vehicles

Truck: The most basic vehicle and probably the most important one in the game. It is used to transport troopers and supplies to the front. Keeping a healthy fleet of trucks are very important for the logistics to work. It is super important to keep supply roads cleared from enemy ambushes and such, because without supplies from HQ to the front it is all just a matter of time before it eventually falls. The truck has very low protection, and a few bullets are enough to stop it. If you come under fire as a driver, whatever you do, do not try to turn around. It is just too slow! Your best chance is to power through the ambush and hope for the best. But the harsh reality is - if you ever find yourself in one of these situations you are most likely going to die. Recommended gear for a logistics trucker is a light weapon and a radio. With the radio you can see if the roads ahead of you have had any enemy activity.

Motorcycle: The motorcycle is a two-seated fast recon vehicle. It has no weapons and very low protection, but it's the fastest vehicle in the game. It has limited uses. It can be used for transporting important personal quickly and some scavengers use it to quickly zip around the map to scavenge for metals and such. But with the motorcycle you can't really pick up any resources since it has no real inventory - you will have to put it in a box and request a logistics truck to pick it up for you.

Jeep: A fast recon vehicle for four soldiers. It also has a lot more inventory space than the motorcycle. What also is different with this vehicle is that it provides constant updates about its surrounding to the map with its radio communication equipment. So overall a great vehicle for scouting and getting men and supplies behind enemy lines quickly - for ambushes and such. It has low defenses and no weapons.

Field-Gun: A heavy two-manned machine-gun that fires high caliber 14.5 mm rounds that destroys most things in a matter of little time. Especially infantry and light vehicles. It requires two men to operate. One to handle the gun to shoot, and one to steer it. As you might figure out this requires some form of communication to be used effectively. It also have a protective shield in front which will protect you from small arms fire and grenades. This is one of my favorite "vehicles". It's not too hard to build, but it takes some effort to get it to the front since you can't hook it up to truck... yet. But it's a real treat to use and will destroy and kill most things with minimal effort. More often than not infantry will scatter when one of these things open fire since death is never far away when these high caliber rounds starts flying around. Remember to grab gas-masks both for you and your partner!

Field-Arty: Standard field artillery piece that fires high explosive shells in a long distance. Good for wrecking defenses and infantry alike, but requires a lot of ammo and resources to be really effective, which will be a drain on the war effort. Recommended not to be used willy-nilly. Requires a two-man team, a spotter with binoculars and of course the gun operator.

APC: The APC is amphibious troop-transport with no weapons. It can take up to six troopers in the back and allows for two crew members. It also has a fairly big inventory space, so it can also be used to move supplies. Often though it will be stocked up with ammo and grenades for the troopers in the back. This vehicle have many uses since it can take a beating. It can by-pass simple defenses since small arms fire will not do not much damage to it. The troopers in the back can shoot and throw grenades from their positions so it can be used as a raiding vehicle. I have also seen it being used as a mobile bazooka platform. Drive up to entrenched position, lower the ramp and let the bazooka man fire at the structure until destroyed then drive away. Since it is amphibious it can also be used to by-pass large areas of entrenched positions by going out to sea. It can only be used to raid patrol boats if you can get close enough. This is really dangerous since gun boats comes equipped with a armor-destroying 14.5 mm caliber machine-gun.

Half-track: The half-track is basically a mobile machine-gun platform, and a very useful at that. The MG sits high up and offers a great view of its surroundings, but the firing arc is limited. Make sure no body runs up behind you when manning the machine-gun, because that is the main weak point of the half-track. The machine-gun has a shield for its gunner in the front, but offers no protection from behind. The half-track can take four people. Two in front and two in the back. A good idea is to keep an extra man the back to check for ambushes while driving around. Make sure everyone in your crew have gas-masks if available!

Tank: A three man crewed light tank that can only fire high explosives tank-shells. As you might understand this requires infantry or half-tracks close by to be able operate at peak capacity. This makes vehicles complement each other very nicely. Otherwise the tank would have been the end-all vehicle, but now everyone one has a role to serve. Regardless, the tank is a beast. It can take a lot of damage and the high explosives rounds it fires can take out most stuff in just a couple of hits. Everything from structures to other vehicles. The tank requires at least a two-man crew but works a lot better with three. There is a room for a driver, a gunner and a commander. The commander can fire his sidearm from the tank-hatch and use binoculars to spot enemies. He can also duck inside if things get heated up. For the commander I recommend getting a revolver with plenty of ammo, since with that weapon you will actually have a chance of stopping infantry trying to run up your tank with high-explosives grenades. But if you find yourself alone as a tank, it's better to go back to friendly lines and not risk losing one of these precious things to an ambush. Do not forget gas-masks for everyone! Losing a tank to gas is a shameful display indeed.

Sea-based Vehicles

Gun-boat:
Rather small boat but still well equipped. It has a artillery piece in front that works like the standard artillery. It also has a 14.5 mm machine-gun in the back for protection. This is a great vehicle for raiding purposes and to be used as a mobile artillery platform at sea. It is also fast which means that you can out of a sticky situation rather quick. It has room for four crew members but other infantry can stand around on the ship, which means it can also be used as an improvised transport vehicle.

Barge: A barge to move vehicles and infantry from one shipyard to another. It requires a shipyard to dock with, so this vehicle will be totally useless if you don't have anything to connect it with. Be sure to not transport anything important like tanks, or fully loaded supply trucks without escort! You wouldn't want all those resources to get lost at sea.

And that will be enough autism for today! Next time I might go over buildings.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I've started playing it a few days ago and man... I'm having a blast! Such an early state of the game developement and it's a lot of fun already. I've yet to see tanks, mortars and Field-guns :D This game definitely has potential to become great.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
That's cool. What side are you playing on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom