Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

FPS essentials

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Vlajdermen, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Parsifarka Arcane

Parsifarka
    I played it a few years ago for the first time and it feels like little more than a tech demo, it's still entertaining but not worth much consideration beyond a historical perspective. You can breeze through it in half an afternoon anyways.
    However, I found the sequels (Catacomb Adventure Series) to be actually interesting games in their own right: the environments are more fleshed out both visually and by adding some flavour text and the enemies are more dangerous and placed cleverly, making for challenging and engaging experiences.

PS: On the other topic of the thread, Jericho sucks. I played through it because I'll play and watch anything inspired by the works of Clive Barker, but just like Hellraiser 8 sucks and I still had fun with it, so does Jericho... albeit it actually felt like a chore most of the time: it's a game painfully castrated by being released in the outdated hardware of consoles, none of the nice ideas it has are given the proper space to develop as you walk through corridors divided by mind-numbing QTEs repeating the dull act of killing. Loved the design of the female characters clad in black leather, though.
    It's great to be fond of it, I wish I were as I am of Undying, but truth is the game is a mediocre corridor popamole only lifted up occasionally by its aesthetics.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Strig Learned

Strig
    Absence of Sin is the sin, so it is present in spirit if not the body.

^ Top  
  3. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    Undying be like, imagine making a hub-based game and then locking all the doors so its linear lmaooo

• Funny Funny x 4
    • feels good man feels good man x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Black Plague Arbiter

Black Plague
    1997: HeXen 2 ((Quack engine))

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Strig Learned

Strig
    I would consider Shogo: MAD essential despite the myriad of issues it had, but I think it deserves a spot for being unique and charming. And I woke up today to a certain song playing loudly in my head for some reason, and it happens often enough that I consider myself haunted.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Riskbreaker Guest

Riskbreaker
    The mech sections in Shogo are great indeed. They look good, especially the ones set in cityscapes, you get the sense of your mech's size. The on-foot ones feel pretty half-baked by comparison, almost on Blood 2's level. They are pretty underwhelming looking and, while the weapons do feel good, those aspects of shooting that kinda work in mech sections - the critical hit mechanic - make them into frustrating, save-scumming mess. It ain't fun if any random shot from any random grunt can potentially get you from near full HP to dead.

^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    The Wheel of Time FPS is kinda interesting.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • No x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    The on-foot segments are worse than Blood 2, for opposite reasons. Instead of endless damage-sponges forever and ever that require you to unload your entire inventory many times over, it's a game where one gun, the assault rifle, is infinitely superior to all the others because it can stun-lock absolutely everything, so every encounter just comes done to shooting first. And health doesn't matter, because every enemy shot can potentially kill you instantly regardless of health, but your own shots can instantly heal you, too. These kinds of problems are present with the mechs, too, but to a much lesser degree. At least there weren't any copy-pasted train levels? But in the end it all felt a lot less substantial than Blood 2, somehow.

^ Top  
  9. Avonaeon Arcane Developer

Avonaeon
    Unreal Tournament should be in the top category, imo. If you're gonna add Quake, add Arcane Dimensions as well.
    Also, haven't seen Kingpin mentioned. Had some good level design and a pretty unique atmosphere.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Marquis de Lirium Cipher

Marquis de Lirium
    (Yes, you can play UT without human opponents, but I still think Arena shooters should count as mulltiplayer-only).

• Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Riskbreaker Guest

Riskbreaker
    There was a number of sweet fanmade singleplayer campaigns for UT back in the day. Such as Operation Na Pali which was an attempt at full scale Unreal sequel. I recall it being kinda uneven, especially towards the end, but it was impressive for sure and the guys behind it pulled out some neat tricks. And it had some damn fine looking maps, I think they used buncha resources from the above-mentioned WoT game for some of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Strig Learned

Strig
    As much as I like UT I would have to agree that arena shooters don't belong on this list. The core gameplay is definitely different enough to warrant a separate catergory for them. As for Kingpin — how could I forget this gem. The fact that it has voice lines like "fuck you, you fuck" is hilarious in and of itself. All this grotesque ghetto bollocks kept me entertained for weeks.

Between the sponge blobs of Blood 2 and absolutely random nature of Shogo I always kind of liked the latter more. I mean, sure, the system's not fair, but because it affected both the player and the rogues gallery I didn't really mind. Life's not fair either, innit?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Riskbreaker Guest

Riskbreaker
    Kingpin aka that game where, the first time you play it, even the wee fucking rats will have their way with your posterior!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. jebsmoker Arcane Patron

jebsmoker
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    you've got doom 1 on the top, which is where it belongs, but you don't got half life 1 or quake 1 alongside it?

[​IMG]

c'mon bruh

^ Top  
  15. Unreal Liturgist

Unreal
    Kingpin is visually cool, but mostly underwhelming otherwise.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Ol' Willy Arcane Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Vietcong 1

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. toughasnails Learned

toughasnails
    It wasn't so offensive with mechs bc of their huge health pool. You can't get killed by single shoot there. I don't remember if you had regular health pick-ups for mechs since I've played the game so long ago. I guess they could have left the critical hits for mechs as a way to heal up and I suppose as a nod to Japanese games which is probably what they were supposed to be. They make no sense in on-foot stages, it's one of those things where you ask yourself how could someone ever think that it would be a good idea or how it could've survived the whole development...

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Avonaeon Arcane Developer

Avonaeon
    I actually think SWAT 3 is the superior experience. Voice command system feels more tacticool, and I think the art style holds up better than SWAT 4. That being said, SWAT 4 is still awesome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    Unreal Tournament 2004, Arma 2

• retadred retadred x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Vlajdermen Arcane

Vlajdermen
    No multiplayer-only games, faggot. I make that clear as day and I still have to put up with this bullshit.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    I didn't read the op vaginaman.

• decline decline x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Vlajdermen Arcane

Vlajdermen
    Then get the fuck off my thread

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    Fuck you and your shit taste! Cocksucker.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    You avoid multiplayer because you are no skill piece of shit? As well as being a childish aspie piece of shit? Wow. No wonder you love shooting so much. I bet I know what you are really looking for.

• cuck x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Vlajdermen Arcane

Vlajdermen
    If that bothers you then go away, I'm not gonna butcher my query just to avoid hurting your feelings.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.