Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fray supposedly ready for alpha

spectre

Arcane
I just snatched it off strategycore. Supposedly, something called Fray is about to enter Aplha stage this February.
What's this shitand why the fuck should you care, you ask?
Beats me. It managed to slip under my radar and it's been under development for about a year now and judging by the steady progress, there's a fair chance it's not vaporware.

Here's the official website. It has some basic info and a bunch of screenies.
http://www.fray-game.com/

From what I read so far, it's a turn-based, plan&go tactical game with a strong cyberpunk vibe.
Seems it's multiplayer oriented, a bit like Frozen Synapse with actual graphics which brings the interest level down a notch as far as I am concerned, but any sign of life from the turn-based tactical crowd is good news.

spectre

Arcane
The artworks are pretty good.
http://www.fray-game.com/medias/gallery/artworks/
I was genuinely surprised an indie on a shoestring budget can get proper art direction that makes you want to gouge your eyes out.

Now, when it comes to the actual in-game screenshots, there's still room for improvement, less obtrusive interface, for starters.
fray-screen5.jpg

fray-screen3.jpg

The environments look pretty decent, have a nice syndicate vibe to them (although it needs moar banners and ads for the true cyberpunk experience)
The chars need a bit more work, they need to stand out a bit more.

Instead of standard, cyberpunk piss-yellow we get orange. Not sure if I like it, I would prefer light green, or plain ole white instead. Althought it may have made the color palette bland

Seeing actual hexes in a game makes me wanna masturbate furiously, though, although I should have learned my lesson with Civ5.

Marobug

Since when is piss-yellow the standard for cuberpunk?
Other than some interface buttons I don't see any piss yellow ? Unless you're referring to the ad like thing, in which case I recommend you to see a doctor.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Looks like Frozen Synapse with better grafixxxx.

Oh lawd I hope it doesn't fall into the FS-trap of having a really solid core that makes me love the game, and then fucking it up with much too little variety.

I shall follow this with great interest :)

EDIT: 6 classes against Frozen Synapse's 5, character customization and equipment. The two last being exactly what I thought Frozen Synapse needed to become really good. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Raapys

Arcane
This does look great. But yeah, that interface really needs to go. Not just ugly but also way too big.

Marobug

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom