Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Frayed Knights - I wanna cast 'Magic Missile'!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Frayed Knights

<p>Jay Barnson <a href="http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=2159">explains the spell system</a> of his indie RPG.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Number and Type of Spells</strong></p>
<p>A little bit has been said about the number of spells in this game. I must admit, the whole concept is a little bit daunting even to me. I have a little script I run which reports the totals so I don&rsquo;t have to do much counting, because the counting is getting a little insane. After the last additions, the counts were:</p>
<p>SORCERER SPELLS: 30 unique spells + 109 variants.<br /> DARK PRIEST SPELLS: 25 unique spells + 101 variants.<br /> LIGHT PRIEST SPELLS: 32 unique spells + 139 variants.<br /> NATURE PRIEST SPELLS: 31 unique spells + 133 variants.</p>
<p>If my minimal math skills serve me well, that&rsquo;s around 118 unique(ish) spells, plus 482 variants of said spells available in the game. So far. That&rsquo;s like&hellip; 600 in total.&nbsp; But it really depends on how you count. When I say unique-ish, I mean that there are a few spells (but actually not many) that are shared between classes that are counted as unique, but may share the same effect &mdash; though they may actually be cast at a different level and have different endurance costs.&nbsp; For example, while all three varieties of priests can cast straight-up heals, the divine (light) priests get the spells earlier and cheaper, nature priests (like Benjamin) get it next, and for dark priests tend to get them pretty late and at higher endurance cost.</p>
<p>Spells are divied up, as you can see above, into four categories: Sorcerer, Light Priest, Dark Priest, and Nature Priest. Anybody can take a feat to pick up sorcerer spells (though they will have to pick up a few additional feats to be able to cast the full range of said spells, and will never be QUITE as effective as the sorcerer class at making them &ldquo;stick&rdquo;). Anybody can take ONE set of priest spells, too. But only one. The gods are jealous and stuff.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>He even has metamagics.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#16680">RPGWatch</a></p>

desocupado

Magister
I was interested, then I saw the character portraits.

Where's that Picard pic with "WTF IS THIS SHIT?" when you need it?

lightbane

Arcane
desocupado said:
I was interested, then I saw the character portraits.

Where's that Picard pic with "WTF IS THIS SHIT?" when you need it?

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

There.

I would actually not buy the game based on his chosen art style.

He is most likely alienating a large portion of his potential audience, and it doesn't take much to know that would be the case looking at that image.

I hope he reads these comments and considers the matter in a more pragmatic way in the future.

betamin

Learned
Thats really really awful, like Avernum level but working a different angle.

mondblut

Arcane
posting from a pda, so fuck you.

i played a demo, and it was a decent dungeon crawl. i'd buy it. but fuck it, this cartoon faggotry must stop. i don't fucking want a flintstones rpg. or south park rpg. or any fucking "lol i am a cute cartoon rpg" homo bullshit. STICK YOUR FUCKING CARTOONS UP YOUR ASS TILL IT FUCKING BLEEDS!!!11 RPGs fucking ARE serious business. that's all i have to say on the matter. can't believe it took me 15 fucking minutes to type that. fuck you.

torpid

Liturgist
Why so storyfag, mondblut? It's all 1s and 0s and stat sheets vs stat sheets.

Seriously though, I played and enjoyed the Avernums and the character portraits there are arguably worse, as they involve furries. You get used to it. What's most important is the UI, and it looks sober enough in those screenshots.

dr. one

Augur
from what i´ve seen, the gameworld looks non-cartoonish and i got Wizardry 8 vibes from it (as well as from other game´s features, including spell system).
the spell system looks complex enough and i like the features of spellstones and rare spells obtainable only via exploration.
with the exception of those rectangular buttons (which are redundant anyway), UI seems alright.
personally i don´t have a problem with portraits and don´t see why they should be a problem if the rest of the game is good. more of a concern for me is that it seems the game has to be played with fixed characters - but if there´s enough options to customize their classes/skills (and judging by the spell system, it seems there is) i´m quite ok with it.

Rogue

Educated
mondblut said:
i don't fucking want a flintstones rpg. or south park rpg. or any fucking "lol i am a cute cartoon rpg" homo bullshit. STICK YOUR FUCKING CARTOONS UP YOUR ASS TILL IT FUCKING BLEEDS!!!11

Agreed :salute:

Dyskolos

Cipher
I fucking hate benjamin already. given that the portraits aren't in any way dynamic i just have hope there'll be some way to edit in one's own preferences.

7hm

Scholar
dr. one said:
from what i´ve seen, the gameworld looks non-cartoonish and i got Wizardry 8 vibes from it (as well as from other game´s features, including spell system).
the spell system looks complex enough and i like the features of spellstones and rare spells obtainable only via exploration.
with the exception of those rectangular buttons (which are redundant anyway), UI seems alright.
personally i don´t have a problem with portraits and don´t see why they should be a problem if the rest of the game is good. more of a concern for me is that it seems the game has to be played with fixed characters - but if there´s enough options to customize their classes/skills (and judging by the spell system, it seems there is) i´m quite ok with it.

this.

who gives a shit as long as the gameplay is good.

I'm really looking forward to this game. this and underworld are the only two blob based dungeon crawlers I can think of that are coming out any time soon.

Murk

Arcane
How many of those "unique" spells are "damages enemy with magic of a type"?

RampantCoyote

Novice
Mikayel said:

Twenty. For ten different "types" of damage.

Twenty-eight if you include damage-over-time.

There are maybe six others that include damage as part of the spell effect, but it's a secondary effect.

7hm said:
dr. one said:

this.

who gives a shit as long as the gameplay is good.

I'm really looking forward to this game. this and underworld are the only two blob based dungeon crawlers I can think of that are coming out any time soon.

Agreed.

Edit: Just noticed Mondbluts commentary. Decline of Mondblut.

Suicidal

Arcane
Fucking art style whores are just as bad as graphics whores. I don't give a shit how it looks as long as it's fun to play.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the only portrait I really don't like is benjamin. he looks like some AFA activist with glasses, or a nu-metal singer. with glasses.

mondblut

Arcane
torpid said:
Why so storyfag, mondblut? It's all 1s and 0s and stat sheets vs stat sheets.

Pfft, just because I want to play-a-fucking-RPG rather than bend over to "follow a narrative" faggotry, doesn't mean I am alien to aesthetics and atmosphere. And cartoons in my RPGs are located right next to gay romance cutscenes, quicktime events combat, and ASCII. That is, beyond the "slay them slowly and extremely painfully" door. When I want to stare at cartoon faces, I'll watch south park or go to oglaf.com, not play a game.

As for Avernum, first, its idiotic portraits are instantly replaceable in its bmp resources, second, it's a pitiful and laughable parody of Exile, which I opt to play instead.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
mondblut said:
As for Avernum, first, its idiotic portraits are instantly replaceable in its bmp resources
So... who says you can't replace the portraits in Frayed Knights? I bet you can/

Baron

Arcane
More spells than I can recall from my well thumbed Wizardry I manual is a waste. As the developer admits, he can't hope to balance them... so why put them in? Sucker needs some restraint.

Excommunicator said:
I would actually not buy the game based on his chosen art style.
I would even vandalise the box in the store so that someone else didn't buy it either.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another tragic case of good programmer, bad artist.

RampantCoyote said:
Mikayel said:

Twenty. For ten different "types" of damage.

Twenty-eight if you include damage-over-time.

There are maybe six others that include damage as part of the spell effect, but it's a secondary effect.

I would rather not be hostile about it and do appreciate the presence of indie developers but I do wonder what motivated you towards such an art direction?

I can obviously see the "theme" across all of your games, I simply question how it will benefit you in the longer term.

Would you not rather stick to something more traditional in order to better tap into the audience (let us be honest, the audience that the mechanics are directed at) who are floating around out there with very little to appeal to them as it is?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom