Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Frayed Knights released on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Frayed Knights; Rampant Games

After spending an arduously long period in Greenlight purgatory, Jay Barnson's 2011 indie comedy blobber Frayed Knights has finally made its way onto Steam. Here's its new trailer and a description:

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon is a 3D indie computer RPG for Windows featuring turn-based combat, old-school sensibilities, and a story of high adventure and comedy. Who says RPGs have to be so serious?

In a world of jaded heroes and veteran adventurers, you play a team of misfits: Arianna, a dainty warrior with an attitude problem; Dirk, an adrenaline-junky rogue who doesn’t seem to understand the word ‘subtle;’ Benjamin, a nature-priest and an ill-suited newcomer to the adventuring lifestyle, and Chloe, a ditsy sorceress with a love of cute, fuzzy animals and setting her enemies on fire.

Adventuring is always a dangerous profession, but recently things have gotten bad. Very bad. Teams of expert fortune-hunters are getting "morted," suffering great losses against enemies that are better prepared than ever. In the taverns and Adventurer's Guildhalls, whispered rumors speak of the return of an evil that once all but destroyed civilization. But as many great and famous adventurers fall to this growing threat, perhaps this bunch of losers - called "The Frayed Knights" (but never to their faces) - might just be the heroes the world really needs:

The wrong people at the wrong time.

If you're looking for another game to scratch your turn-based blobber itch after Might & Magic X, now might be a good time to give Frayed Knights a try if you haven't already. Its price is $12, with a 15% discount until the end of the month.

jdinatale

Cipher
Bought this in a bundle for a $1, which is about as much as you should pay for it.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is very good news. Frayed Knights isn't going to win any game awards or be in any top RPG lists, but it does to incorporate several unique ideas, such as the drama stars system. For an indie game I thought it was pretty solid, although there is nothing great about it. The game's graphics can be downright ugly at times, and you have to be in the mood for moments of light-hearted levity that the game provides. But still, the beginning and middle portions can be quite difficult, and if you screw up the your characters' leveling development then you might completely fail at the game. I appreciate that it didn't try to hold my hand. If graphics aren't a big deal for you and you enjoy turn-based, dungeon crawl blobbers, then this may be just up your alley.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

I really liked the game and I still hope for a sequel. Nice mechanics and I liked the humorous approach which reminded me of some tabletop sessions and Order of the Stick / Dork Tower.

Morkar Left

His gameplay mechanics were actually pretty good. Basically similar to D&D 3rd edition and while it had blobber style combat, there wasn't too much combat with lots of enemies which would become tiresome nowadays. Enemies could have more special attacks and more diversity in combined enemy types but you have to acknowledge it is supposed a trilogy and you start as a lowlevel party. There's enough room in a sequel.

Alchemist

Arcane
If you want an idea where Jay was coming from with this game's design - check out this blog post: http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=7673
This alone should pique the interest of many Codexers. He also was heavily influenced by his experiences with tabletop RPGs, as described in a previous post. He sticks closer to the PnP RPG feel than most recent RPGs.

The humor may be the main sticking point for some - some people just don't like humor in games. But if you can deal with that, it's a very interesting take on the classic CRPG genre, and stays true to the PnP roots. If graphics are your main priority with games, there are plenty of mindless AAA titles for you to play instead.

ColCol

Arcane
I really liked the game and I still hope for a sequel. Nice mechanics and I liked the humorous approach which reminded me of some tabletop sessions and Order of the Stick / Dork Tower.

Sequel is coming.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Bought this in a bundle for a $1, which is about as much as you should pay for it.

I agree, I'm not normally a graphics whore, but it is one of the ugliest fucking games I've ever played. (bout an hour worth)
Plus, I know this is subjective, but I didn't find the humor to be funny at all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I tried it once but 1996IamprofessionalDMfor2years humor just killed everything for me. I just don't find crap golems funny.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Apparently people who bought this in Bundle-In-A-Box will get steam keys in the near future. Hope you kept your email with the bundle link.

Rampant Coyote said:
Yep, the keys have already been delivered to Gnome, and he should have them up and added to people's account soon. Not sure if "soon" means today or not, but there should be plenty of time.
did he say anything about those of us who paid full price before it became bundle fodder?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nah you got the pleasure of playing it DRM FREE! Besides, you will give me your Steam key.

Alchemist

Arcane
Just a heads-up - it appears the Steam codes are live in the Bundle-in-a-Box bundle now. Just got mine now.

did he say anything about those of us who paid full price before it became bundle fodder?
He says in this blog post he'll hook people up who got it directly through him or through Desura - just send him an email.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Someone gave me a key. Played it for about thirty minutes...

CNR.jpg

Jay's one of those guys that blogs way too much then poops out some mediocre turd of a game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you liked it, then buy a fucking copy FFS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom