Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Frayed Knights Released

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Frayed Knights

<p>Jay Barnson's long-awaited, expected-to-be-vaporware, turn-based blob RPG <a href="http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/" target="_blank"><strong>Frayed Knights</strong></a> is out now! Download the demo <a href="http://rampantgames.com/frayedknights/downloads/FK_TSOD_Demo.exe" target="_blank">here</a> or <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dp88lv2340df2br" target="_blank">here</a>.</p>
<blockquote>Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon is a 3D indie computer RPG for Windows (and, soon, Mac) featuring turn-based combat, old-school sensibilities, and a story of high adventure and comedy. Who says RPGs have to be so serious?<br /><br />In a world of jaded heroes and veteran adventurers, you play a team of misfits: Arianna, a dainty warrior with an attitude problem; Dirk, an adrenaline-junky rogue who doesn&rsquo;t seem to understand the word &lsquo;subtle;&rsquo; Benjamin, a nature-priest and an ill-suited newcomer to the adventuring lifestyle, and Chloe, a ditsy sorceress with a love of cute, fuzzy animals and setting her enemies on fire.<br /><br />Adventuring is always a dangerous profession, but recently things have gotten bad. Very bad. Teams of expert fortune-hunters are getting "morted," suffering great losses against enemies that are better prepared than ever. In the taverns and Adventurer's Guildhalls, whispered rumors speak of the return of an evil that once all but destroyed civilization. But as many great and famous adventurers fall to this growing threat, perhaps this bunch of losers - called "The Frayed Knights" (but never to their faces) - might just be the heroes the world really needs:<br /><br />The wrong people at the wrong time.<br /><br />Features:
<ul>
<li>
<p align="left">30+ hours of gameplay.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">Challenging, turn-based combat in a game that plays at your pace.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">A unique "Drama Star" system that rewards the player for playing through tough situations instead of reloading and replaying.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">A spell named, "Power Word: Defenestrate."</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">Over a hundred base spells, most with several upgraded variants.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">An innovative trap-disarming / lockpicking system using character skills and items to disable a device one component at a time.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">Over 80 feats to customize your party as they progress through the game.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">A detailed, "stats-heavy" rules system... which you are free to ignore if you choose.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">Nearly 200 different items to be used and abused by your characters.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">A "Quarterstaff of Nad-Whacking."</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">Sixteen "dungeons" (interior adventuring areas), five outdoor areas, one village, an alternate dimension, and some green dude's one-room hovel.</p>
</li>
<li>
<p align="left">A THICK (virtually) 69-page PDF manual. For those who want more than just the tutorials...</p>
</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>Rumor has it there's a cheat for Frayed Knights that will unlock the Age of Decadence beta build hidden in the code. Let us know if you find it!<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; <br /><em>Thanks to riptide for pointing this out</em></p>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<p>&nbsp;</p>

MCA
Downloading the demo. But I know I will be disappointed at least some because looking at that blonde hoe makes me want to rape her and I'm certain you can't rape anyone in this game.

Morkar Left

Development was faster than I expected. Have to wait till work is over... :M

Andhaira

Arcane
Sweet! Will download once I get home. Hope it's VISTA compatible.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, I have to say this is fairly expensive for an indie gaem. In theory it's 23$, but when you buy it you get a surprise VAT raep which pumps it up to 30 dorra. I can get an AAA game for that price here in Potatoland.

I'll wait a bit before buying and read people's opinions/see if I get scholarship money boost.

I can get an AAA game for that price here in Potatoland.

Well, if you could be so kind as to match up this blob, turn based RPG with the current crop of AAA blob, turn based RPG's, I would appreciate if you could give me a run down on the differences.

I just don't have the time to go through all the turn based, AAA RPG's coming out these days. I wish I could keep up, but such a deluge we have had of late....impossible. Just impossible.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Darth Roxor said:
Also, I have to say this is fairly expensive for an indie gaem. In theory it's 23$, but when you buy it you get a surprise VAT raep which pumps it up to 30 dorra. I can get an AAA game for that price here in Potatoland.

The smaller the audience, the higher the price needs to be. However I think it is a good idea, Indies have a special price just for potatoes. Pay full price, or what you can afford. Livestock and fresh produce, also accepted.

Elzair

Cipher
Davaris said:
Darth Roxor said:

The smaller the audience, the higher the price needs to be. However I think it is a good idea, Indies have a special price just for potatoes. Pay full price, or what you can afford. Livestock, fresh produce, and time with hot sisters also accepted.

Elzair

Cipher
Davaris said:
Darth Roxor said:

The smaller the audience, the higher the price needs to be. However I think it is a good idea, Indies have a special price just for potatoes. Pay full price, or what you can afford. Livestock, fresh produce, and time with hot sisters also accepted.

Fixed.

Seriously, stop whining about the price, fags! Either buy it or not!

quasimodo

Augur
Blackadder said:
I can get an AAA game for that price here in Potatoland.

Well, if you could be so kind as to match up this blob, turn based RPG with the current crop of AAA blob, turn based RPG's, I would appreciate if you could give me a run down on the differences.

I just don't have the time to go through all the turn based, AAA RPG's coming out these days. I wish I could keep up, but such a deluge we have had of late....impossible. Just impossible.

Yeah supply and demand. I'ld pay $60.00 for a good TB RPG. And my definition of "good" gets a little more generous as the years go by.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
High price is of course justified if the game is good, but surprising 23% price increases after pressing the "Buy me" button should better be avoided. Somehow many developers are able to avoid anything like that.

Murk

Arcane
Blackadder said:

Hmm, bad situation to be in. Do you support the individual game for its merits, or do you support the game's sub-genre and niche in hopes that if one succeeds financially but not as the game you want that others may actually succeed as a game too? I don't know, but like Elwro said, 23% increase just to download the game after you paid its actual price? Well, Australians but up with it all the time (kinda).

Elwro

Arcane
Mikayel said:
like Elwro said, 23% increase just to download the game after you paid its actual price
Just to make sure: I said "after pressing the "Buy me" button". It's still a bad surprise.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Elwro said:
Mikayel said:
like Elwro said, 23% increase just to download the game after you paid its actual price
Just to make sure: I said "after pressing the "Buy me" button". It's still a bad surprise.

When you buy indie games off their website, always check the price at the payment processor. They don't have the resources to check where you are coming from and find out what your local tax rates are. Portals and price processors are big outfits and can afford to do that, indies just make games.

BTW, is the 23% price increase just from the EU sales tax? Seems outrageously high.

Elwro

Arcane
A similar thing happened with Eschalon 2 to me. I don't know what the law is. It's just that in the case of these two games, and Machinarium, the tax was added. Steam, Gamersgate (Europe), Stardock (US), Matrix Games, Cyanide (Europe), Vogel (US), Gog? No additional tax. I don't understand this at all. It looks as if some indies feel required to do this.

Murk

Arcane
Elwro said:
Mikayel said:

My wording was metaphorical, apologies if it mislead. I meant having the total price jump up after you agreed to its initial product price.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom