Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Free virtual tabletop for RPG's?

catfood

AGAIN
Now that Roll20 doesn't want any more white males using their services, I am in the search for a new free virtual tabletop. What I am looking for is a program that allows me to roll dice and upload pictures. Being able to hide areas like you could in Roll20 would be a huge plus. I usually don't use miniatures however I do like giving my players maps of dungeons, but I obviously don't want them to be able to fully see them right from the start either.

Mortmal

Arcane
motherfucker

why is everything run by faggots :negative:
Because everything is owned by a few billionaire who have the same agenda: Mass market, mixity, erase races(specially white one ) and nations, worldwide peace. Wich is extremely good for them.

Mortmal

Arcane
That said i use FG2, but its not free, and not so popular few games scheduled.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
You're out of luck if you want something that's free (EDIT: assuming you want to play something else that isn't 5e). To my knowledge Roll20 is the most hassle-free, and literally free, solution. MapTools, eh, unless you're willing to do a lot of tinkering (I somehow am never able to get people to join my game despite following port forwarding procedures), I wouldn't recommend it too.

Personally, I'd just pay a good one-time fee for a virtual tabletop and settle for that. I was looking forward to EpicTable 2.0, but it's been delayed again and again. Anyway, right now I'm using Arkenforge. It doesn't support online; I primarily use it for in-person games, using my projector as the players' screen, thanks to its native dual-screen support. It's also buggy AF due to being in alpha.

Then there's Tabletop Simulator which might as well be free given how cheap it costs. Blaine might have more to say about it.

This reddit thread might be helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/9hgkfh/which_local_virtual_tabletop_program_is_best_for/
And this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/9j5yu1/an_actual_list_of_roll20_alternatives/

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, I made a demo video: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tabletop-simulator-its-p-gud.122113/

There were a fair few tips and techniques I hadn't yet picked up when I made the video, but the idea is just to demonstrate the range of things it's capable of. In essence, if you can play a game on a tabletop, you can almost certainly play it in Tabletop Simulator unless it requires seeing the other players physically, like Charades. It of course has some convenience and software-based features that aren't possible in real life.

Through the Steam Workshop, massive amounts of games have been converted from their physical versions to TTS, including gigantic all-inclusive Warhammer/40k armies, BattleTech miniatures, and elaborate 3D hex boards for BattleTech or wargames that would cost hundreds of dollars and/or man-hours to put together in real life. You can create your own assets, and some things, like importing a 2D drawn map onto a tabletop surface, are fairly accessible for the unskilled.

Mortmal

Arcane
Problem is the popularity of those systems, if no on play with them, no point to bother even if they are better.Even on roll 20 finding a game for european is tough.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Problem is the popularity of those systems, if no on play with them, no point to bother even if they are better.Even on roll 20 finding a game for european is tough.
Don't schedule games through on-site shit either way. Getting players on Roll20 is a horrorshow. I'd rather get people from /tg/, and even that is like asking for a facefull of shit.

Podasky

Novice
Don't schedule games through on-site shit either way. Getting players on Roll20 is a horrorshow. I'd rather get people from /tg/, and even that is like asking for a facefull of shit.

Last game I tried to get /tg/ m8's in was when I was trying out Savage Halo fan expansion. Only one showed up and he left. Havn't tried the game finder thread since then though, maybe i'll ask gurps gen since there always starved for a gm and a setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom