Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games

Gord

Arcane
Did they hire Guy Ritchie to produce their new consolized Sherlock Holmes game for them or what am I reading there?

:decline: or still good for what it is?

Eyeball

Arcane
Yes, because no good game has ever appeared on PC AND consoles. Morrowind? Dogshit. Psychonauts? Faggotassery. Arx Fatalis? Totally homoqueer!

Platform-crossover for an adventure game such as this is not necessarily a bad thing if the UI isn't butchered too much for the sake of convenience.

Myself, I bought the game, but it seems that my laptop graphic card's lack of shader support makes me unable to play it beyond the intro video. Shame. The past games in the series were excellent, although I am concerned about the "ultra grimdark Sherlock Holmes dropkicking toddlers in the face" that seems to be advertised.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Bought and finished.

The first person view is there and still intact, they even added point and click view(as in the case for the silver earring) and a console controller view and movement for the consoltards.
But the important stuff still stands from the last games.

As far as being a multi-platform game, it did alright, though you will see some very minor con*derpidation*(im so FUNNAY) bits.(You are not allowed to measure the shoe sizes yourself :()

They have expanded the clueboard from Sherlock Vs Ripper.
Which is what i love about these games, that you have to answer the questions to progress. The deduction board was really neat in all of this.

One thing i want to complain about is that there was A LOT of pixel hunting going on, they added a "sixth sense" button with a cool down for that sorta things but it didin't help much in many cases.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Okay, so it is still good? Some more opinions would be appreciated. I've been looking out for this one.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Adventure Gamers has a review up:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/22916

When you do engage in conversations, a wheel appears at the bottom of the screen with the dialogue options available. Anyone who has played either Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2 will be familiar with this mechanism, and it's clearly designed for console players, though it works just as well on PC. Regardless of platform, however, it can be a little unclear what Sherlock will ask once a word is selected.

God damn... :x

deus101 what are your feelings about the dialogue wheel? Are the choices as ambiguous as Ass Effect?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What the fuck were they thinking? Fucking hell...

Does it have PARAGON and RENEGADE choices as well? Holmes suddenly collargrabs an interviewee?

deus101

Damn
Adventure Gamers has a review up:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/22916

When you do engage in conversations, a wheel appears at the bottom of the screen with the dialogue options available. Anyone who has played either Mass Effect or Dragon Age 2 will be familiar with this mechanism, and it's clearly designed for console players, though it works just as well on PC. Regardless of platform, however, it can be a little unclear what Sherlock will ask once a word is selected.

God damn... :x

deus101 what are your feelings about the dialogue wheel? Are the choices as ambiguous as Ass Effect?
Damn forgot about the cancer-wheel...

Well....JUST IMAGINE ITS AN TEXT ADVENTURE! OK!

I to would prefer the fool gonzo text choices, but im not quite sure how much of an impact the dialogue had in the game. It didn't quite come up much to be quite honest either. It was various choices like bribe, threaten, blackmail(if you found a certain object).

No paragon or renegade either...Sherlock is a constant full 100% asshole.

(sorry for shitty spelling but the keyboard language got turned over to English for some fucking reason)

Eyeball

Arcane
Finished it - pretty good game, although not nearly as good as good as JTR and suffers from the same flaws, chief of which is the fact that motherfucking EVERYBODY in Victorian Britain seemed to have a clever puzzle lock on whatever shit-encrused paper bag they stored their essential quest items in, causing many screeching gameplay halts when you have to stop playing an adventure game to work out some inane and poorly explained puzzle, although some of them were fairly entertaining. In the defense of the game, you CAN skip them if you bungle around with them for long enough. I skipped the one with the strongroom in the villa (because fuck sliding beads around) and the one with the animal pieces near the end (shittily explained, didn't hold my interest).

It also sadly moves away from the whole "investigation" aspect and becomes a more straightforward item-based puzzler about 2/3rds into the game, at which point Holmes amazingly deducts the true nature and identity of the villain, making further measuring of footprints and examinations of crime scenes unnecessary. This is a great shame. It's Sherlock Motherfucking Holmes, not Guybrush Threepwood, let me investigate some shit, please! I can go elsewhere if I want to use every item on every object in the gameworld.

The characterisation of both Holmes and Watson is great and the voice acting is excellent. Holmes is more of an arrogant cocksucker than ever and Watson is wonderful both as the butt of Holmes' condescending mockery and as his solid stoic down-to-earth best friend. It still isn't understandable why Watson puts off with the annoying faggot, but Holmes B4 Ho's, I guess.

Unfortunately, the writers appear to have run out of ideas about halfway through the story, or at least couldn't come up with any especially convincing ways of linking the midgame to the endgame, which made the STARTLING REVELATION OMG setting off the endgame come across as pretty derp. This type of anticlimax is a common problem with the Holmes games. Holmes vs JTR ended with a silly puzzle carried out in Holmes & Watson's flat and then a lengthy cutscene and this game has occasional flat leadups to big events.

I liked the ending, personally. I thought it was quite touching and worked well to give Holmes a bit of much-needed humanity to his character.

7/10. Solid and entertaining, but falls flat occasionally. Recommend getting it at reduced price, but well worth playing.

Eyeball

Arcane
Oh, and quit moaning about the dialogue wheel, you fags. You only get to use it like 5 times as most conversations are automatic and it's just a graphical representation of a conversation UI. It is nothing like Ass Effect.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It also sadly moves away from the whole "investigation" aspect and becomes a more straightforward item-based puzzler about 2/3rds into the game

This and the cancer inducing Biowarew shit, guess I'll wait for a sale. :salute:

Eyeball

Arcane
There is no cancer-inducing Bioware shit, the dialogue wheel isn't Biowarian and you don't even get to romance Watson.

If you want to hate it, there are reasons to, but "being Biowarian" is not one of them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah you ninja posted before I posted. If it is limited like you stated then, that's good. I was expecting the ENTIRE game. Thanks for the clarification.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
:lol:

Thanks for the reviews Eyeball and deus101. It does sound pretty good when y'all put it like that. May pick it up once I have time to play and complete Sherlock Holmes vs JTR (or if it's on sale, whichever comes first).

deus101

Meh, I liked the puzzles...there is an option to snooze past them if you are stuck with the puzzles for 5-10 minutes.(which i shamefully admit took advantage off to often :( )

But fuck sake...buy it, nothing wrong with it.

Though wish there was a way to forward them what shit is not cool.

But the game is worth 30-40 bucks so god damnit.

You get the investigative aspect with the deduction board. just to bad that you dont get to use more often.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
What the fuck were they thinking? Fucking hell...

Does it have PARAGON and RENEGADE choices as well? Holmes suddenly collargrabs an interviewee?
The Baker Street irregulars better be straight with Holmes or he'll fucking boot them into the River Thames.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Thanks for the reviews. I had hoped they would move forward after JTR (more content, more locations, more sleuthing, branching dialogues), which I found mediocre, but it seems they haven't. Waiting for a sale.

Flacracker

Educated
The game is pretty good. It has interesting puzzles and always keeps you guessing about Holmes's intentions up until everything is revealed at the last two hours. You will really wonder if Holmes is a good guy or not if you take the time to read the newspapers and stuff. The dialogue wheel isn't anything to worry about. The story is good until the last two hours where things turn from a interesting murder investigation and personal story that will make you question Holmes to a full blown take over the world and royal coup d'etat plot. The game is pretty janky in spots with odd editing of the scenes. It is worth it to play Awakened and Jack the Ripper before this one because there are references in the game and the story loosely ties in with Awakened.

The puzzles in this game a very good on their own and some will leave you stumped. I recommend not using the skip puzzle feature but instead looking at a walkthrough so that you will realize how stupid you are. Some elements of the game do suffer as a result of it being designed for consoles first such as not being able to measure shoe sizes yourself as someone mentioned before. Another example of this is the Deduction board which is a welcome appearance but it is smaller than the one from Jack the Ripper with only two columns of choices instead of three. The deduction board is also only used in three instances too which totally sucks.

Overall the game is pretty good and if you liked the other Sherlock Holmes games you will like this one too. I still think Jack the Ripper is the best in the series so far (I still need to play Nemisis) as it does the best job of really making you feel like a detective. This one loses that feeling a little bit of the way through.

Wolfus

Arcane
I would love to buy it but 30€ is still a bit too much... I think I will wait for a while :(

Just finished it and I think it's on par with vs Arsene Lupin on my SH scale (JtR > Awakened > vs AL = Testament), also agree on most things people here have said already. Story is more grimdark than the previous ones and I found Holmes to be out of character (he apparently sacrificed the judge but it's never really mentioned afterwards).
I don't really understand why they made him sneer from time to time with no reason whatsoever either. Not to mention in the end some of the aspects of the story are still somewhat open and the end seems rushed and just fanservicy. Also shooting blanks just inches to your skull will most probably kill you.

Gameplay was better than I expected but it still had some aspects of decline on it. Some of the puzzles were flawed, for example to solve the zoo puzzle at the end, you had to go against the notes that explained the puzzle. In the beginning the chess puzzle had multiple answers to it but magically the tile you hopped with the horse was magically the one. Vs Arsene Lupin had this problem too. Not to mention most of them are just way too easy, I didn't even think of consulting walkthrough at any time except for the zoo puzzle. Much easier than JtR that I found to be the easiest before.
Deduction board was decline version of the JtR one (at least I remember it having more rows) and it was only used twice. They probably thought it would be too hard and too slow for casuals.

Still 20 euros wouldn't be bad deal when it hits that low (I paid 30). If you liked Jack the Ripper then you could get some enjoyment out of this.

EDIT. Forgot to mention my main gripe with the puzzles. They were horribly simplistic and not really fitting for the game. I really enjoyed Jack the Ripper because it had puzzles that were kind of like real detective work: deduction board, matching clothing and disguises for the subjects, analyze the substance etc. This had couple of those but in very small scale and they were much more simplistic versions of those. All the "open the box by solving this simple puzzle" were really lazy.

Wolfus

Arcane
No more deduction board? Eh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom