Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Front Page Layout: Old vs New (Poll)

Which design and layout is better?

• Total voters

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Which design and layout do you think is better? This:

image1-png.25012

Or this:

Image1.png

Taluntain thinks that the new design is much better and that only a vocal minority is not happy with it:

That layout looked ok in 2002. What Twiglard's got up now looks considerably better, so no.
Yes, the minor visual changes that come pretty much only from how the current XF2 layout used as the base is laid out on the back end do look better. Twiglard's spent an insane amount of time adding back millions of details from the old layout wherever it made sense and even in dozens of places where it didn't, solely to placate a handful of vocal nitpicking complainers here.
Again with the "shit design". This is your subjective opinion, I don't agree with it and a lot of other people here who said that they like the current style don't either.

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Which design and layout do you think is better? This:

image1-png.25012

Or this:

View attachment 25297

Taluntain thinks that the new design is much better and that only a vocal minority is not happy with it:

That layout looked ok in 2002. What Twiglard's got up now looks considerably better, so no.
Yes, the minor visual changes that come pretty much only from how the current XF2 layout used as the base is laid out on the back end do look better. Twiglard's spent an insane amount of time adding back millions of details from the old layout wherever it made sense and even in dozens of places where it didn't, solely to placate a handful of vocal nitpicking complainers here.
Again with the "shit design". This is your subjective opinion, I don't agree with it and a lot of other people here who said that they like the current style don't either.
Certain elements of the current forum index will still be tweaked; the middle justified text is obviously off, some margin/padding settings, possibly hiding long forum descriptions, etc. But as the base, the current layout is definitely better to work off.

Syl

Cipher
Just get rid of the user avatars in the new one and it's ok.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The only differences are:
Font
Padding
The information present (avatars, thread count, message count)

If the old or the new is better, it's important to identify why.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Font
Padding

The differences I see:

- Less padding
- Smaller fonts in the section titles, subforum titles and latest messages
- Message count smaller and below the subforum titles (instead of taking up lots of space in the middle)
- Visuals: better color scheme, in my opinion

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The new design is bloody responsive compared to the old one so I will stick to this one even if it means 1994 Geocities colouring!

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Font
Padding

The differences I see:

- Less padding
- Smaller fonts in the section titles, subforum titles and latest messages
- Message count smaller and below the subforum titles (instead of taking up lots of space in the middle)
- Visuals: better color scheme, in my opinion
I agree that the old one is better for all of these reasons, except maybe the color scheme. I've adjusted to the new one and it's fine. I prefer darker colors anyway. The current layout is good enough though so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Font
Padding

According to the poll results so far, the majority doesn't give a shit and we're wasting time. Amazingly, I'm in total agreement with that.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
According to the poll results so far, the majority doesn't give a shit and we're wasting time. Amazingly, I'm in total agreement with that.
Did you bring out your alts to vote? Who are Fatberg Slim, kites or Nryn with hardly any messages?

The ones voting for the original layout are all known regulars though.
ur the only autist that cares, and those voting in ur favour r ur alts

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I one thing about the new layout that I actually do like is the inclusion of avatars. Not so much because I want to see avatars, but more because the rss buttons aren't there anymore.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Did you bring out your alts to vote? Who are Fatberg Slim, kites or Nryn with hardly any messages?

The ones voting for the original layout are all known regulars though.
If they were my alts, they'd be voting for the current layout.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I can see that in the middle-sized layout (width below 1000px but above 650px), the message stats are formatted below the description. So it can be made to look slightly more like it used to without editing the template.

Humanophage

Arcane
There is too much padding in the new version. 1920x1080 is a standard resolution, yet there are those huge empty spaces above and below every forum name:
kxHRI2F.png

It would be much better if they were reduced to something like this, reducing the need to scroll and making the forum look like a more active place.
t64g41T.png

I don't understand why it matters for this that the forum descriptions are long.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Two things I'd consider "flaws" in the new layout are the display of thread labels and user avatars on the right.

On the frontpage, thread labels are more harmful than useful since they reduce the space available for thread titles without adding anything of importance.

Similarly, user avatars are completely useless and take away space that could be used to avoid cutting titles in the middle. I'd say they're even worse since they add a lot more confusion to the page.

But these are obviously minor (easily fixable) flaws, it's not the end of the world or anything.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I honestly don't care anymore. The new one is fine/good enough after a weeks (and more if you include the test site) worth of dev and fixing.

All the current griping seems so incredibly minor/autistic.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Font
Padding

hrm yes, that isn't true anymore? Even if a lot of people do not care there is 15% actually liking what you guys did. "I do not care" is not a vote in your favor.
Padding
Colors (sharper contrasted bar for the categories. it just kind of flows together now, when it was distinct before.)
Font (may be the alignment?)
Useless information with too much space or odd place (Avatars, threads and message counts)
Also the Boxes on the right made it a lot more readable

are the problems for me, since DU asked for specifics. Don't get me wrong I am also in the "I do not care" (that much) crowd but I reiterate what I said before: You are trying to sell your own subjectve opinion as fact. It isn't, I am well aware that my taste is my taste. I am also in favor of the update in general, technological improvements are welcome.

But who are you doing this for? For yourself? Because that's what I am reading.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
You should have less to complain about the main forum page now. The old layout was there, but only enabled for smaller displays.
  • Main page length in the fixed-width theme is now (fixed width + sidebar width) 1500px. Why? A person is either reading the text in the forum list or in the sidebar, not both at the same time, thus making the narrow layout a moot point.
  • Shoutbox is now longer vertically in both normal and maximized mode (click gear icon on shoutbox caption).
  • Per-forum message and thread counts are now below, not eating up precious horizontal space anymore.
  • Thanks to the above more compact layout, long last post descriptions are now 350px wide starting with 901px, not 1100px.
  • There's now less vertical padding around subforums.
  • Forum description no longer justified, and uses different font.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Thats better, a lot.

Now three things remain for me:
The font is too small on the main overview. It's not that I can't read it but for some reason it looks blurry? (EDIT: you are currently working, right? the blue font is way better)
Also why have such a Forum header, it's a waste of space for no apparent reason and why the color change? (see attachment)
Lastly, the avatars, whats the point? And why have the boxes gone?

Attachments

• Codex.png
    Codex.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 69
Unwanted

†††

Patron
It's not coming back. XF2 is shit and a straight downgraade in most areas. Move on and use Stylus to make it tolerable.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
The font is too small on the main overview. It's not that I can't read it but for some reason it looks blurry? (EDIT: you are currently working, right? the blue font is way better)
Which element is too small again, and which one looks blurry?
Lastly, the avatars, whats the point?
They can be removed at any time, but I think they make a page more lively and friendly.
why have the boxes gone?
They're not important enough with horizontal space constraints, when the space is better spent on the thread title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom