Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk - ice age city builder from This War Of Mine devs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FP_Roadmap.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/games/323190/announcements/detail/1651012883659814948

Frostpunk | Development Road Map 2018
31 MAY - RUFUS BLACKWOOD

33a8620ea841afe70ec23e5b3d239f9ab1dc2fd2.png

Hello there, Citizens!

As you already know, we were working on a development road map - to give you some idea where we are heading with Frostpunk. We've received a lot of feedback from you - be it ideas, suggestions or bug reports. We tried to take everything into our consideration and then we matched it with our own concepts and intentions. It was also crucial for us to make all of those updates free - because you are amazing and we love the passion that you show for Frostpunk. Without further ado: what lies before you is a plan that we want to carry into execution in 2018.

[www.frostpunkgame.com]
(Click the image for full resolution)

- - - ROAD MAP DETAILS - - -

As you can see - there is plenty to wait for! We're going to tell you more about each step of the way when we get there - but for now, let us share some basic ideas about each waypoint.

1. Survivor - NEW MODE!
Survivor update is bringing a brand new challange
for those of you who have mastered the surviving techniques - even on the hardest difficulty setting. This mode will unlock some new, special modifiers that should make you sweat - even though it's -120℃ out there! It's our first big update and we plan to roll it out in June!

2. People & Automatons - Basic Customization Options.
You asked us if we can give you some naming options for your citizens and automatons - and that's exactly what we are doing. Oh, and we hope we can bring even more customization options in the future - but you gotta start somewhere, right?

3. The Builders - NEW SCENARIO!
This is the most substantial update for 2018. A brand new scenario, with its own story and challenge. We won't spoil anything at all at the moment - but let's just say you should stay excited.

4. Endurance - NEW GAME MODE!
One of the major requests from you was to implement some kind of endless or sandbox mode. Endurance Game Mode is our response to your needs. But as you can expect from us - it's gonna be our distinctive take on this feature.

5. Winter Snapshots - Update.
Let's admit it - Frostpunk looks good. And we want you to be able to capture its beauty with more precise tools. That's why we plan to introduce a special photo/screenshot tool so you can snap some icy, intense pics of New London. We've also prepared a special surprise for this update - but we're not spoiling that, either.

6. Further expeditions in 2019...
Of course - that's not the end of the journey. That's just how much stuff we were able to pack into year 2018. But we have more ideas (and we bet you have some, too) to implement in upcoming year 2019...

This should go without saying - but between the bigger updates - we also plan to roll out some smaller ones - containing bug fixes, stability tweaks etc.

If you want to stay up to date with all the updates - be sure to follow us there:
Thank you for the ongoing support! Stay safe, warm and remember...
The City Must Survive!

Perkel

Arcane
. Endurance - NEW GAME MODE!
One of the major requests from you was to implement some kind of endless or sandbox mode. Endurance Game Mode is our response to your needs. But as you can expect from us - it's gonna be our distinctive take on this feature.

Ok with such update it should be great game. Lack of sandbox is precisely what it drove me away from game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok with such update it should be great game. Lack of sandbox is precisely what it drove me away from game.

One of the most frequent and also ignorant complaints. If you stuck with the game you'd have realized it's not actually made for a sandbox experience. The depth is just not there. I have no idea how they want to pull it off but when they say "it's gonna be our distinctive take on this feature" that should give you a hint Endless won't be a traditional sandbox either.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, the game just gives you no reason to expand beyond certain limit. Other than larping a good guy who just saves everybody. So I'm not sure how sandbox mode changes anything.

It's also the reason why the moral choices and dillemas are of no relevance. I've just expanded to a tightly run 100-people settlement, and everybody I met above that limit was told to fuck off and die in the snow. If you don't overstretch beating the game becomes trivial.

Perkel

Arcane

One of the most frequent and also ignorant complaints. If you stuck with the game you'd have realized it's not actually made for a sandbox experience. The depth is just not there. I have no idea how they want to pull it off but when they say "it's gonna be our distinctive take on this feature" that should give you a hint Endless won't be a traditional sandbox either.

Point is that in endless mode you would be trying to survive as much as you can and with each day weather will get worse and worse and worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If you find Hard difficulty all too easy, test the limits of your ability to survive the winter apocalypse in the brand new Survivor Mode.

Survivor mode features:
▶️ a whole new level of challenge (meeting the people's needs or balancing the delicate economy of your city will be even harder)
▶️ no active pause - you need to think fast!
▶️ progress is only saved automatically and on exit, so all your decisions are final!

To start a new game in Survivor Mode, select a scenario and toggle the switch below the customization button.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Frostpunk reaches new point on its Development Roadmap with the release of new DLC “People and Automatons” - available for free from today!

Get Frostpunk on: http://www.frostpunkgame.com/ - it's available on Steam, GOG.com, Humble Store and Windows Store!

--- New features ---
▶️ You can now change the names of your people and automatons
▶️ You can now search for people and automatons by name
▶️ New visual variants of hunter airships
▶️ Diversified looks of Hunter Huts, Gathering Posts, Outposts and Workshops
▶️ Keyboard can now be used to navigate the main menu
▶️ Added Intel NUC Skull Canyon support
▶️ Added Razer Chroma support

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What a lousy update. I know it's more than the road map explicitly said for this update, since I don't think it included the building variants, but it's still not anything that's going to make me launch the game again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

“The Fall of Winterhome”, a story-driven, free expansion for Frostpunk will update automatically in existing copies of the game on September 19th. With hours of brand-new content and fresh take on Frostpunk’s mechanics, players will get a chance to lord over a new map with refreshed visuals and discover lore about the frozen world they have dominion over, as well as uncover secrets from the past - the story of the fallen town of Winterhome which you may have found in the main campaign of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Out now:

“The Fall of Winterhome”, a story-driven, free expansion for Frostpunk, is going to update automatically in all existing copies of the game. The narrative unveils the events preceding those in the main campaign, where players might have discovered the ruined town of Winterhome. The scenario tells what had happened in the town before catastrophe struck.

"The Fall of Winterhome" offers hours of brand-new content, new visuals and most importantly a new take on Frostpunk's mechanics. Players will get the chance to roam around a new map and reveal lore about the frozen wasteland they live in-game. What is the truth behind The Fall of Winterhome? Discover now!

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Three attempts at Winterhome Normal, three fails lol. And last time I played I was breezing the game on Hard.

This scenario is one tough sonofabitch.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I am not sure what to think of this scenario. The concept of having to fix the city is is sound but it feels like there is one strict path to do this or else you fail, so it is an exercise in "find 10 things wrong with this picture" and restarting over and over until you find them all. And the restarting is fucking tedious because you have a couple hundred citizens you need to assign manually everywhere. Also the fucking UI makes spotting cold homes far too difficult as they look almost indistinguishable from ruins in the temperature overlay.

The only nice thing I noticed so far are that the exploration sites give you choices and consequences (get the automaton but lose the ability to set up camps beyond a point etc.) which I find to be an improvement over the first scenario.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^All of this, except the one strict path. Seen a couple of LPs where people went about it a bit differently than me (finally finished it today, on my 4th attempt).

But yeah, the ruins messed up the UI something fierce, very hard to tell what's what. Ditto the restarting, very annoying micro. As for the sites, I told them on Twitter, when they requested fan feedback, to spice up exploration since most of the sites are static and boring. The improvement didn't exactly take my breath away but better than nothing. Overall I like the scenario, it's long, rich and full of shit to do. And saving all the peoplez is no fucking walk in the park, even on Normal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Frostpunk's most awaited expansion - Endless Mode - is coming soon to Steam, GOG.com, Humble Store, and more!

As planned, and promised in the development roadmap, the expansion is going to be FREE for all owners of the base game.

In the time since it was announced, Endless Mode is the expansion we have seen the most about of feedback on through the forums, on Twitter, Facebook, and directly by email. In fact, while it was originally teased in the roadmap, the idea took hold with the community since the original launch of Frostpunk in April.

Forged over months at 11 bit studios, it soon goes live and introduces two styles of endless play: “Serenity” for the constructors who enjoy growing the city at their own pace without hard challenges, and “Endurance” for survivalists looking to earn their stripes and see how long they’re able to live in the harsh cold world of Frostpunk. In both modes, new buildings are introduced to enrich the city’s architecture, including an Archives building that enables players to store lore and information in a single area, new sites can be discovered in the frostland, and new random events that may confront you with previously unknown challenges. Welcome to Endless Mode!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
It's out now. I just saw Steam download a 1.4 GB update, but I haven't tried it yet.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Anybody tried this yet? It's hard to get started, but once you get rolling, it gets boring super fast. You have all the techs researched by day 30 and then just leave it on fast-forward with the generator maxed out all the time because you're producing so much coal that it doesn't matter. I did make a discovery that the Righteous Denunciation gives you somewhere around a quarter of the rations you already have, so every few days it was giving me more and more food until it was giving me 70+ years worth of food at a time. I think I was in the millions of rations when I just said "screw it" and quit.

Basically, it's pretty much what I expected, but it's not what I hoped for. I was hoping there'd be something to research that wasn't in the tree before to keep you busy or maybe that research would be changed to at least take longer and have a bigger impact. At first, it seems cool that the exploration points reset after each storm, but then you realize it doesn't matter because none of the encounters are anything new or even involve any choices. Oh, boy, 70 steel to add to the 10,000 steel I have in storage.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anybody tried this yet? It's hard to get started, but once you get rolling, it gets boring super fast.

Well, what a YUGE surprise.

One of the most frequent and also ignorant complaints. If you stuck with the game you'd have realized it's not actually made for a sandbox experience. The depth is just not there.

Called it yet again. :positive:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

It's the end of December - and in the old days, it meant that Christmas is near. To preserve the tradition - let's celebrate it with a free update!

A Christmas Carol:
- is available in Endless Mode
- adds a new Christmas themed quest line
- lets you construct a new building
- challenges you with new dilemmas
- it's free!

Hellraiser

Arcane
I didn't even bother with finishing the Winterhome scenario for the reasons I already mentioned here I think. Waste of a good premise, the game itself I mean. Heat mechanics is nice and all, so is the premise of laws, but the economy system is laughable and there is no simulation for the people (but they have names, because artistic vision with shallow gameplay is king to hipster devs). Just hope and happiness bar management across railroaded scenarios. The game is pretty much an interactive movie masquerading as a strategy game, only the QTEs are not telegraphed and they involve the right buildings instead of pressing the right buttons.

Surviving Mars is better as a sandbox builder experience and that game is mediocre. Maybe the Space Race DLC improves it above mediocre to decent as it adds some new mechanics. Maybe with enough of DLC in two years will be better like most Paradox games. Frostpunk though has no potential, the gameplay is fundamentally flawed and would essentially need rebuilding it from scratch to work as a sandbox.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
For fucks sake, why are all games fucking shit these days???

I suspect its because most developers aren't doing it because they love games, but doing it for money, so most of what they make is souless, half-arsed drivel.
And the ones who do like games are amateurs, so what they make may have soul, but terrible design elements.
Even if you do have a competent developer who loves his craft, he still has to deal with shitty publishers (See: Command and Conquer series, Blood 2), or the outrage brigade (see: that Pillars of Eternity poem)

Bethesda's sycophantic fanbase is probably to blame as well, because they're the ones who took the "mods will fix it" joke seriously, resulting in other developers cutting corners and expecting their fanbase to plug the holes, instead of doing their fucking jobs.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane

One reason is because artists want to make games starting from the aesthetic rather than mechanical aspects. So you have style over substance as they lack vision in the game design department. Frostpunk is one such game. Shitloads of indie platformers and non-games are another sign of this. The "message" and artistic vision take front stage, the people behind fail to see that they are making a game not a movie for an activist festival. The biggest sin of this part of developers is falling for the "cinematic" or "emulating Hollywood" fallacy, failing to understand the limitations and quite frankly shit state of the movie industry as well as failing to see why games should do their own thing rather than copy another medium (non-interactive medium at that).

The other is lack of proper reference points and game devs coming out of a less nerdy environment. In the old days you had total nerds that had to be very technical and they did typical nerd shit for fun. They drew inspiration from D&D, war games, SF classics etc. The current generation draws from modern popculture and other games, it is a feedback loop of excrement.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
There's an entire generation in the workforce now who believe that it is of the utmost importance that they preach a message to people through their media product. Gameplay is a distant concern.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom