Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information FTL: Faster Than Light Released

Grimlorn

Arcane
Played this basically all last night and only got 4 hours of sleep. I made it to the boss once on easy and almost beat him on my first try. Drones and missles are where its at. Drones do quite a bit of damage and missles break through shields. The lvl 1 antiship drones seem to do damage just as fast as the lvl 2 ones so if you get 3 lvl 1, you can do a ton of damage while taking out the boss' shields with missles.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Played this basically all last night and only got 4 hours of sleep. I made it to the boss once on easy and almost beat him on my first try. Drones and missles are where its at. Drones do quite a bit of damage and missles break through shields. The lvl 1 antiship drones seem to do damage just as fast as the lvl 2 ones so if you get 3 lvl 1, you can do a ton of damage while taking out the boss' shields with missles.

I beat the boss on easy with 4 burst lasers. 2 level II and 2 level I. Piece of cake. I mean there was SOME scrambling during his phases where you will need to shift fire to stop some of his systems, like in phase 2 you will need to stop the drone controller.

I love this game.

Has anyone unlocked any different ship layouts? Is it worth it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I beat the boss on easy with 4 burst lasers. 2 level II and 2 level I. Piece of cake. I mean there was SOME scrambling during his phases where you will need to shift fire to stop some of his systems, like in phase 2 you will need to stop the drone controller.
I didn't realize he was going to fuck me so baldy with the drones, I timed badly my stealth and ended raped...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
The third phase he uses some Babylon 5 style beam laser that will hit almost everything if you can't shut him down.

FTL does not appear to have a built in screenshot key, which means I need a third party app. If I get FRAPs, are the screenshots from that going to watermark or put some sort of garbage on it if I use the demo version?

I am reading the Let's Play tutorial, I was just looking for some more info.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Anthony Davis Screenshotting is F12 with Steam, if you're using that.

I'm having troubles with Normal, but Easy is almost too easy. There's always something I miss on Normal and it bites me in the ass and everybody dies.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Anthony Davis Screenshotting is F12 with Steam, if you're using that.

I'm having troubles with Normal, but Easy is almost too easy. There's always something I miss on Normal and it bites me in the ass and everybody dies.

I bought it through GoG... Steam would have definitely made this easier. FRAPs seems to work without any markings or anything, but it only does BMPs.

Lottie

Educated
Game is broken on easy. There are no choices.
Every game in Crawl is different because of actually playable different characters.
Here, there are few differences in good builds, as far as I can predict after my third try and first win.

There are some nice things there, albeit not in the gameplay...
If you move away one of those energy giving dudes away from the cloak tile while the cloak is on, the timer drops to the lower energy level one. Cant exploit it. It shows that the devs actually had a beta test with people who arent complete morons.

Strategic win guide:

early birds get the worms or something
shield +1 - 50s
energy +1 - 20s // +2 is too much yet, just turn off oxygen in combat
engines +2 - 45s
crew +1 - 40/45/65s or free
xp exploit - find a ship with 1 or 2 energy weapons that wont pass your shileds, park yourself in combat and wait till 3 of your crew reach level 2 in shields (xp increase on restores), engines and steering (xp increase on enemy whiffs). Takes about 10-20 minutes, let FTL run on your second screen or smoke something... Engines and steering give on level 2 each 5% more evasion! Now you have 2 shields and 40% evasion, enough for the Endboss.
energy +2 - 45s

midgame the game opens up a bit (seemingly...)
guns - best things first, you'll need to kill shit, rockits and lazors, you'll see what the vendors have or what you find, fireweapons are shit, continuous lazors are sweet, you need some lazor with 3 shots, your first one will do
drones - seems like an expensive version of guns... didnt try much
crew teleport - aah, tempting, but is a waste of resources in a crucial time of game , >150s (75s + 30s, without upgrade too slow, ~50 for energy) to get it running, plus 2 crew members
all for what? some extra creds for the few ships that are capturable? and additional time in combat for enemy ships that have medbays... no thanks, get some firepower

now, endgame
you need 2 things for complete breakage
cloak 150s (gives you that first shot with that sweet rocket to the enemy balls (guns), upgarde it depending on how long your guns need to load )
weapon preheater 120s (gives you that second free shot without retaliation, probably securing untouched wins till the endboss)
auto reloader 60s (15% less time for reloads... meh but hey, its 60s...)

generally jump as much as you can (nebulas..) but consider that every lost crewmember are wasted credits that could have went to more gunpower...
accept surrender only if the reward is really good, like 6 fuel, 6 rockets, 20 scraps (on easy)
the zoltan should optimally give energy where its always needed, that would be for either guns or shields, anything else is suboptimal

and the game is too random, you cant really recoup your losses, every loss is not just a loss, its a missed upgrade and lost time! its a worse negative feedback loop than losing units in panzer general, not very roguelike

Combat (is shit) win guide:

shoot the enemy weapons... win
pause quickly at the start to activate weapons (what a retarded shit came up with that idea, why not fuckin pause it automatically...)
waste only ~1 rocket, the very first shot ( typically, even enemies with 2 shields wont manage to recover the damage to shoot back while you only need to slam them with your ĂĽber laser with 3 shots... )
cloak ^^
find that awesome preheater...

Mirco (is retarded) win guide:

get doors +2 (+3 optional, 60 fucking bucks... )
vacuum and wait in small rooms if outnumbered, fall back to medbay
vacuum and wait in big rooms if you outnumber them

with teleporter +2 you should be able to beam back and forth easily if you land in small rooms and fight inferior numbers
run and dance on doors for time

dont forget that you are in combat, enemy ships can teleport away, get blown up by you, asteroids, fires, micro combat and god knows what else, every lost crewmember is a missed upgrade!

somewhere late in sector 7, my level 2 captain got killed in some shitty event, got replaced by butters the slug........... lost 5% evasion!!!! fuckers... had to buy it back
killed the endboss with that thing (had like 700 credits), all 3 fights, goddamn, what is this? megamen? fuck!
Yd16s.jpg

Now, on to "normal" for me... but I think the game is too random if you dont play an optimal build.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Game just got released, give them sometime to balance it properly. And even so, I avoid optimal biulds and I am having loads of fun, more than 7 hours into the game and yet the end boss lives... (I refuse to try easy)

Also, your upload is complete.

Lottie

Educated
Yeah, I restarted "normal" a few times for a nice beginning but I am getting immensely bored. Especially just thinking about micro is giving me the yawns...

Bulba

Learned
You know, the sort of game that at the start you think its awesome and the more you play the more you feel that it's total shit? Well, I think this game is the complete opposite.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Just beat it on easy. I was surprised I was able to do it. I had a really weak lineup on weapons but was able to pull it off. Ion bomb is pretty good 4 rounds of ion damage to shields. And then I had burst laser weapon and hull damage weapon. Also had a antiship drone and defense drone lvl 1. The antiship drones are really good. They hit shields and damage systems. They attack about every 3 seconds and only take 2 energy at lvl 1.

I just threw everything I had at his shields to disable them. Didn't even bother with weapons. I tried the ion bomb on the drone room but it didn't seem to have a noticeable affect but maybe it was too hard to tell with all the drones flying around.

Also another funny thing happened. As soon as I jumped out of the base it was attacked and taken over by rebels. So there really wasn't any point in defeating the flagship. The rebels won in the end. My ship had 3 health left and the base had fell. Federation would have lost.

Lottie

Educated
God I suck at this game.
all the storyshit larp cancer killed every braincell, if ever they lived at your place - decline
its saying a lot about "computer "gaming"" if a man (i assume, you are not 13... mentally...) cant beat a cheapass puzzle
i hate you

game is irredeemable garbage, illusions of choice, larp fest
just jumped into sector 7 on "normal" (on first attempt, no counting name rerolls for a russian terrorsquad, thats as far as i can larp without killing myself), doing better than on "easy"
"normal" means less scrabs and better equiped enemies, it doesnt matter though if they dont get to shoot............................
enemies also evade much better so i contemplated for a moment a change of strategy, like shooting the cockpit or something, but hey, why change a working, superior tactic? ftl is a shit game
same build kinda creep'ed on me, by just being the most efficient
vitaly, my elite gunner got killed by slugs! in microcombat without me even noticing...
RdvIy.jpg

13+ hours wasted, fuck me sideways, never again gonna play shitty crap on release
unins000.exe

Machine

Arbiter
Great great game, well worth the money. Im having a really hard time, probably cause im doing something terrible, but normal is more like impossible for me, I get to like sector 4-5 and then I get stomped by cruisers and whatnot :(

Lottie

Educated
^
2 shields
40 evasion
big guns
cloak
preigniter
win

yay :rolleeys:
PRvjH.jpg

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I can see if you are using that trick to max out your skills how you might be bored. I had a great game going till I warped into a nebula and 4 mantis teleported into my ship! They killed everyone.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
EPIC VICTORY!

GWfAw.jpg

And Fuck you FTL designers, for incluiding Notch as a random name...
Congrats!

They have TONS of easter egg names. Try erasing your ship's name when you make it. I'm still trying to unlock more ships and layouts. I have 5 ships total, but zero alternate layouts.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
EPIC VICTORY!

GWfAw.jpg

And Fuck you FTL designers, for incluiding Notch as a random name...
Congrats!

They have TONS of easter egg names. Try erasing your ship's name when you make it. I'm still trying to unlock more ships and layouts. I have 5 ships total, but zero alternate layouts.

Grimlorn

Arcane
it can actually miss, i though it was a win-button too at first
Yeah but it hits about 80-90% of the time so it's definitely good. It also can't be shot down or stopped by defense drones.

Anthony Davis They have a thread on their forums that tells you what all the ships are in the game and how to unlock them and what their starting layout, crew, and weapons are.

Here's the thread if you want it.
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=779

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom