Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information FTL: Faster Than Light Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Faster Than Light; Subset Games

Today, spaceship simulation roguelike FTL has finally hit the digital shelves. As you might recall, our own preview of the game was really favorable.

In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It's a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party? This "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.

Key Features:
  • Complex Strategic Gameplay - Give orders to your crew, manage ship power distribution and choose weapon targets in the heat of battle.
  • Play at Your Own Speed - Pause the game mid-combat to evaluate your strategy and give orders.
  • Unique Lifeforms and Technology – Upgrade your ship and unlock new ones with the help of six diverse alien races.
  • Be the Captain You Want - Hundreds of text based encounters will force you to make tough decisions.
  • Randomized Galaxy - Each play-through will feature different enemies, events, and results to your decisions. No two play-throughs will be quite the same.
  • No Second Chances! - Permadeath means when you die, there's no coming back. The constant threat of defeat adds importance and tension to every action.
There are three ways you can buy the game:
The price is just $9 -- definitely worth every cent.

Last edited by a moderator:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Just 9$ for such a good game is basically criminal. Buy this, it's an excelletn game!

Smarts

Scholar
Never really gotten into roguelikes.

Bought this, though. It's... actually really good!

Also, hard to explain.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What happened? Where am I?

The last thing I can remember was that I had installed the game. The next thing I know I'm... here, and six hours have passed.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
almost $900,000 and the counter's still at 31 days. and it launched at night in the States. sometimes the internet makes you feel a little bit okay about people. I'm feeling too broke to pledge =( but power to those of you with, like, incomes and shit.

also fucking lol@instant Codex negativity about a product about which next to nothing is known how does this site take itself fucking seriously

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
almost $900,000 and the counter's still at 31 days. and it launched at night in the States. sometimes the internet makes you feel a little bit okay about people. I'm feeling too broke to pledge =( but power to those of you with, like, incomes and shit.

also fucking lol@instant Codex negativity about a product about which next to nothing is known how does this site take itself fucking seriously

I don't think even I ever posted on the wrong thread and that's saying a lot.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Man, played for hours straight, this game is such fun! Got that little square ship and the cloacked one, they play so differently too, fantastic game!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The first Kickstarter I've backed to show results. When you pay 6 months ago it feels like getting a free game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I get fucked up the ass as soon as I meet dudes with ship teleporters. They teleport before I can do anything (like, for instance, destroy their teleportation room).

I try to micro my dudes between fighting and healing, but they get pounded.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I get fucked up the ass as soon as I meet dudes with ship teleporters. They teleport before I can do anything (like, for instance, destroy their teleportation room).

I try to micro my dudes between fighting and healing, but they get pounded.

BLAST DOORS! Blast doors are one of the cheapest and best advancements for containing boarders. I keep extra crewman JUST to fight guys who board the ship. The difficulty of course is if you can't randomly find people to join you or free from slavers. Later when my ship is fully crewed I will station extra guys in critical rooms.

For example, I always keep a rock dude in my O2 room since he can't be hurt by fire.

If I get an energy dude I station him in the medic bay since he will power the medic bay and it will keep him alive since he is so fragile if boarders jump in there.

I had one game where I had a squad of 2 to 3 mantis' that I solely used to WRECK people who jumped aboard. I ended up losing that game because I never found another weapon for my ship and the starter weapon didn't cut it against the boss.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Man, played for hours straight, this game is such fun! Got that little square ship and the cloacked one, they play so differently too, fantastic game!
I finally beat the boss and got the teran cruiser. How do you unlock the cloaked ship?
Did a long quest were I helped some guys recover lost technology. I also got a broken stasis pod or something, but never managed to find someone to fix it...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Ugh, had a GREAT game going with the Zoltan Cruiser. That thing is amazing.

However I jumped into a sector and got boarded by 4 humans who proceeded to kill everyone. Zoltans are no good in a fist fight, especially when outnumbered.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Okay, I'll look into this "blast doors" business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom