Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck the DS4 controller

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I'm just about done with this fucking thing, sometimes the Steam support works, sometimes it needs DS4Windows, sometimes it doesn't work at all and fucks up my audio.

Plus after a relatively spare usage (I only use it on my PC for Souls-likes) the micro-USB connector is hilariously loose, to the point I can't play anymore. I could play wireless but for that I'd have to buy the dongle plus I'd need the USB cable for charging and the connector is so loose it's wonky even when the controller is stationary. (Btw the connector was kindda loose from the get go).

So I'm gonna get an XBOX controller. Now, a lot of my konsole peasant mates swear on the 360 model, is it really better or is it just nostalgia talking? Also I don't suppose you can buy an XBOX One wired controller? I'm seeing wired 360 controllers, with fixed cables (no fucking USB port) but not for One. Thx broskis.

Kitchen Utensil

Yes, the 360 controller was better. More durable, better quality, better analog sticks.
But if you can get a working Xbox One controller, they're not bad. And no, I've never seen a wired Xbox One controller. You need a micro USB cable.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Now, a lot of my konsole peasant mates swear on the 360 model, is it really better or is it just nostalgia talking?

It really is that much better. I got the "for Windows" version of the 360 control when it came out (so I guess 2006) and have been using it for emulation, souls-like, etc ever since and it's never missed a beat.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also I don't suppose you can buy an XBOX One wired controller?

No, but you can just plug in a micro usb cable and it works as if it was wired.
Yea I know but after the experience with DS4 connector I'd prefer a wired one.

Well, the micro usb cable is yet to become lose for me. Plus this thing uses blue tooth to connect to the PC if you go wireless, which i found very convenient compared to my old wireless 360, which had some retarded proprietary receiver that actually burned out after two years of use (and i had to get a Chinese knock off because the original costed as much as the controller did lmao).

Wired 360 controllers are dime a dozen and are cheap, but i'm not sure if those third party brands are comparable to the original as far as build quality. I had one from Thrustmaster and it wasn't the same, the one from Microsoft was way better. Do they still sell the original controllers? Can't seem to find any on amazon, only replicas from other brands.

yellowcake

Arcane
I had wired 360 controller that had its left stick push button die after a year of use (200 hours of DDDA probably done it). Ergonomically it was very good except unusable d-pad (really complete garbage I don't know what were they thinking). I then got the Elite, at the beginning I was using it wired then got the dongle + a pair of eneloops (I already had the charger). The d-pad on the elite is excellent but standard xbone controller apparently has the same one. The additional triggers on the elite are cool - can be mapped to anything, you can run and look at the same time in DS easily etc. XBone controller has weak shoulder buttons that die regularly but are easily replaceable.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I like this custom PS2 controller I have. I hate how PS3 and PS4 made L2/R2 into shitty bumpers.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Fuck you DS4 naysayers. It's the best invention since the BJ. I bought one 5 years ago and I still use that same one today while my Xbox One, 2 camo 360 and old DS3 controllers sit in storage, gathering black mold. I bought a Gold one that's still in the box because- well, it's GOLD, and I'll always have it as backup.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Speaking of controllers,does anybody have any experience with logitech controllers?
Here they are the best price wise compared to the pricey xbox and ps4 controllers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I had wired 360 controller that had its left stick push button die after a year of use (200 hours of DDDA probably done it).

I used the 360 wireless controller i had for 5 years then sold it to a friend of mine to get the Xbox One controller because i wanted the convenience of the way it connects to the PC and that friend is still using it two years later.

Honestly that thing was build like a tank, and the Xbox One controller is too expensive to really feel comfortable with it, because you are always afraid of being too rough where as with the 360 one i just didn't give a fuck. I even had the cat play with it lmao.

yellowcake

Arcane
I had wired 360 controller that had its left stick push button die after a year of use (200 hours of DDDA probably done it).

I used the 360 wireless controller i had for 5 years then sold it to a friend of mine to get the Xbox One controller because i wanted the convenience of the way it connects to the PC and that friend is still using it two years later.

Honestly that thing was build like a tank, and the Xbox One controller is too expensive to really feel comfortable with it, because you are always afraid of being too rough where as with the 360 one i just didn't give a fuck. I even had the cat play with it lmao.

Nevertheless, the push microswitch for left stick broke on mine. I even tried to replace the left stick assembly but fucked up desoldering it and tore solder pads from the circuit board. It may still be salvageable and I may attempt to fix it some day.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Souls-likes are straight up better with controllers full stop.
Only if they didn't bother implementing proper k&m support. Even half assed support like in DS2 is better than gamepad.

There are games that are just outright better with controller and ease of access to suitable control methods is one of the key aspects of PC gaming, be it from steering wheels to flight sticks to other things.

abija

Prophet
There are VERY few games played better with a gamepad, even if you count games where the devs didn't even bother (like Bastion). Specialized devices for simulators are a different thing.
Gamepads are just the perfect casual gaming tool, good enough and comfortable on couch.

yellowcake

Arcane
I used to be kb + m evangelist too then I got a controller and got to like it. I now prefer to use it for console ports especially Japanese. Only moving your thumbs with hands resting on your loins is objectively better than only moving your right palm with hands resting on your desk.

Falksi

Arcane
360 is genuinely the best controller I've ever used. Use it for all my emulation gaming, some of my PC gaming. Love it.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
You can probably convert it to xinput with some program, try that before spending 50 or so on new controller.

Last edited:
Yea I know but after the experience with DS4 connector I'd prefer a wired one.

Yeah I had that problem with micro USB connector becoming lose on my Xbox One pad, my solution to it was to buy a bunch of cheap micro USB cables, 70 cents a piece, and just change them every few months. But few months ago the RB button on that pad has stopped working, after multiple playthroughs of Sekiro (must be a coincidence!) so now I am back to my 360 pad. It certainly seems like 360 version is more durable.

Perkel

Arcane
Never use Steam DS4 support. Because for one it is completely arbitrary in how it works. You have random chance it will work with games from outside of steam. Tried and nope. It sucks. + for being plug in and play.

DS4windows is where it is at. Also worth noting that DS4windows has new repo which is constantly updated as old one doesn't work well.
And yeah DS4 for pc is pretty awesome. For one in DS4windows you can bind extra keys how you want. So for an example i have binded in X4 on right touchpad my assets window while on left side galaxy map.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS4windows is where it is at. Also worth noting that DS4windows has new repo which is constantly updated as old one doesn't work well.

Yeah I got pissed at DS4 for various reasons, the USB connector being the main one, it kept shitting the bed from day one. Otherwise I'd just kept it.

Problem is you can't have just one controller if you'e playing wireless. You gotta have at least two. And while I'm buying a second controller why not buy an XBOX one where you don't need shit like DS4Windows or ImputMapper, that you can just plug and play through USB? And then you don't need your old DS4 at all.

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah I got pissed at DS4 for various reasons, the USB connector being the main one, it kept shitting the bed from day one. Otherwise I'd just kept it.

Problem is you can't have just one controller if you'e playing wireless. You gotta have at least two. And while I'm buying a second controller why not buy an XBOX one where you don't need shit like DS4Windows or ImputMapper, that you can just plug and play through USB? And then you don't need your old DS4 at all.

Why do you need two ? DS4windows supports multiple controlers over BT.
Yeah buying xbox one controler is easier though you lose extra buttons which are honestly godsend in many games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom