Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuel

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DefJam101, Jun 6, 2009.

1. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    According to Wiki, Fuel, one of the few games I have been anticipating, came out yesterday. It is supposedly a post-apocalyptic racing game (lol) that takes place after Earth's weather decided to go batshit and fuck everything up. According to the developers it's a free-roaming game with a 5,000 square mile world to explore in between races and.. stuff.

[​IMG]

Most of the videos I've seen have aggravating altrock soundtracks which is never a good sign. The prospect of raging across a wasted landscape in a Humvee is very difficult to resist, though.

Anyone played this? I might head out to Gamestop tomorrow and pick up a copy if no one has any objections.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHF7eqrptk

^ Top  
  2. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Looks interesting. Pick it up and give us the official Codex opinion.

^ Top  
  3. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Talking about the PC version, by the way.

I should, if Gamestop has it, be able to pick up a copy by tomorrow afternoon. I'll try do my part for Kodexia since my acting contributions to Warriors of Diversity left me a has-been.

^ Top  
  4. MisterStone Arcane

MisterStone
    Looks like various versions have mixed reviews. Probably a good thing because a) most pro game reviewers are morons who only give high scores to uncreative hyped up crap, and b) because reviews that buck the general trend (by being higher) are more likely not to be by morons.

^ Top  
  5. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    From a random 'review' found by Google search:

"Gameplay-wise, Fuel keeps it simple, with checkpoint, circuit, point-to-point and timed races plus helicopter chases to choose between; or you can just drive around in search of hidden stuff. The more races you win, the more territory you open up – and Fuel officially has the largest virtual environment of any game, weighing in at a staggering 14,400 square kilometres."

These two things seem very promising to me. Driving around looking for easter eggs, interesting locations, items, etc. could be awesome.

I'll try and pick it up tomorrow.

^ Top  
  6. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Their premises...they have been checked.

Other than that, it sounds kinda cool. I'm interested in hearing your impressions.

^ Top  
  7. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Wikipedia may have lied to me because I've found two different PC release dates, but it can't hurt to swing by Gamestop tomorrow. I remember seeing posters for the game around the PC rack so chances are it came out around the same time as the console versions.

And of course the fucking Codemasters website just says 'June 2009' for the PC version so...

Whatever. Will update tomorrow.

^ Top  
  8. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    edit: Forget it, I'm going to sleep. Every website I check has a different release date.

^ Top  
  9. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Let's see...

In FE2/FFE some planetary systems have about 2000AU in diameter, not all, however, so we'll take much more humble (but not necessarily more reasonable) diameter of 20AU (to err on caution's side - most are much larger, 10AU is the typical distance from system's centre after hyperjump).
    1AU = about 150,000,000km.
    Volume of a sphere is 4/3*pi*r^3 and there are about 513,982,470 unique star systems in game, which gives total volume of "virtual environment" of, at the very least, 7.27*10^36 cubic km.

Somebody call them out on their bullshit (and post the links here).

^ Top  
  10. Raapys Arcane

Raapys
    But this is *Next-gen*, older games obviously don't count( or exist ).

^ Top  
  11. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    LET THE SHITSTORM RAGE!
    :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
    :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  12. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Actually, they got a Guinness record for largest terrain in a console game.

^ Top  
  13. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    ..so whats the backstory then? mankind felt the urge to race across the wasteland instead of trying to survive?

^ Top  
  14. Seboss Scholar

Seboss
    Wrong again!

^ Top  
  15. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Yeah, instead of using the few fuel left, for heating and other basic needs, instead of sharpening their knives to hunt cats dogs and rats for dinner, mankind decided to feed all their remaining fuel to some buggy cars and bikes and go on a Paris-Dakar spree.

Also :

It doesn't look that good.

^ Top  
  16. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Actually the weather only went batshit North and South of the equator. It makes as much sense as it has to really; if you have millions of refugees crammed into cities in.. Mexico or wherever, you're going to need something violently entertaining to keep them in line. So they send these psychos up there to race, videotape it, and send it back down. It's not concrete but solid enough to use as an excuse for a game. So it's not really post-apocalyptic, since there is civilization surviving somewhere, but since you're racing through areas where society used to exist, it has post-apoc imagery.

At least, that's my interpretation. If they try to shoehorn a ridiculous back story into the game I'll let you know.

In other news the fucking PC version doesn't come out for another month, so the Kodex review has been postponed. :evil:

^ Top  
  17. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Can somebody call them out on their bullshit, then?

^ Top  
  18. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    That's why mad max is shit, never made any sense to me. Just driving around, using petrol...looking for petrol....to drive around.

^ Top  
  19. DefJam101 Arcane

DefJam101
    Don't people already do that in Australia?

^ Top  
  20. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Too bad.

^ Top  
  21. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Who cares if a setting in a racing game makes sense? As long as the game is good. I certainly wouldn't mind that post apocalyptic atmosphere. I just hope actual driving is fun, and not like in Burnout Paradise.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.