Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fun with Pierre Begue, creator of Knights of the Chalice

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pierre Begue, creator of indie gem Knights of the Chalice, considered by some the best RPG since Mask of the Betrayer, was recently finally convinced to contact GOG for digital distribution of his games. Here's how things went down:

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=478

Borsook said:
I may be spoilt by the times, but I'd really love to be able to buy the game from a place I already use, and that takes care of some aspects of installation etc for me. So is there any chance the game will come to Steam, Desura (this might fit it's profile better) or Gog?

Pierre Begue said:
Thanks for posting. I'm interested in having KotC on distribution sites.
But first I'd like to see if they can distribute Battle of the Sands. I contacted them recently about that.

Wait, what? Battle of the Sands is Pierre's recently released Dune 2 knockoff that nobody gave a fuck about and which promptly flopped. NOBODY WANTS THIS YOU -

Pierre Begue said:
O.k. GOG has replied. That makes them better than other distribution sites. At least they talk. Credit where it's due
icon_e_smile.gif

Now for the actual outcome of talks you'll have to wait, but I would say it's not going in the right direction.
In essence, GOG wants to distribute KotC but not BotS. My initial goal was more like the opposite.

:retarded: Oh god. :lol:

Luckily our man VentilatorOfDoom was on the scene with some realtalk:

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Understandable. No offense, but nobody really cares about BotS whereas everybody knows KotC is a gem. A bundle deal might be your best bet.

nonadventurer said:
You know, these days if you're an indie developer, being offered a distribution deal for any of your games is already a great boon. So if they want to distribute KotC, go for it, seriously! It's a chance not many developers get, and you know and I know and everybody knows your games deserve more publicity and sales. You can always convince them to distribute BotS later.

Pierre didn't react to this very well:

Pierre Begue said:
First off, VentilatorOfDoom, I would really appreciate it if you didn't come to my forum to tell me that no-one cares about one of my products (that's your warning). You have the point of view of the RPG player but that's not the only point of view out there. Being its creator, I obviously do care about BotS. Some RTS players may like BotS, in the same way that some readers may like my book. Your opinion is not the universal one and it's not the only one that matters.

In addition, anyone interested in seeing another game like KotC should care about BotS too, because the viability of any business depends on its sales. I've said it before, but I don't get paid anything for the humongous amount of work that KotC 2 requires. Financially, it does not make sense to do it. That's one of the reasons why I had to split the work between two games.

these days if you're an indie developer, being offered a distribution deal for any of your games is already a great boon.

This may seem at odds with what I've just said above, but money is not everything. If the relationship with the distributor is one where the distributor gets all decision power, and the developer gets none, then I'm not interested. That doesn't mean I won't do a deal for KotC alone or for both games. It's something I'll determine from talks with GOG, in my own time.

I would also very much dispute the idea that getting a distribution deal for any game is always a great boon. In any case, you're not in the position that I'm in, so you cannot make the assessment that only I can make as to whether a distribution deal would be good or not. Finally, I don't consider that it is particularly urgent for me to get any of my games on a distribution site. I hope that clarifies things. I am now locking this thread.

Picard_Facepalm_small.png

Indie developers. Indie developers never change. :hero: Maybe we need to contact Jeff Vogel for an intervention...

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
Hehehe, Delicious Drama.

I hadn't even heard of BoTS at all- anyone liked it?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLLOL I LOVED KOTC BUT CAN SOMEONE FIND THIS GUYS BRIANS!!!!

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Pierre, Pierre, Pierre...
The only place BotS would fit in is between Minesweeper and Solitaire.
Between this, well... game i guess, and your book, i'm really starting to think you're a loon.

Still love KotC though.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Some RTS players may like BotS, in the same way that some readers may like my book. Your opinion is not the universal one and it's not the only one that matters.

I genuinely wonder if there was a single person who enjoyed this game or even purchased it beyond a few dedicated fans wishing to see KotC 2 rolled out faster. A really ugly and simplified clone of a mid-to-late 90s RTS?

book_cover_small.png

Pierre has a master’s degree in international economics and finance.

Who would have thought? I'm no business wizard but pushing your political views alongside a product doesn't sound like the wisest move to me. I even recall Rougey or Bradylama or someone saying they refused to pay money for this and would pirate due to his political views. In any case I doubt that many people would think "Now that I've enjoyed this chap's old-school turn-based RPG I'm really in the mood to purchase a libertarian critique of the European welfare state".

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Seriously, doesn't this look like the type of self-funded drivel that people used to debating the Illuminati with their cats would write ?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VentilatorOfDoom should have known better than to interfere with Mr. Begue's thought process. And he should be glad he got off easy, with only a warning, as he could have been shot, or even worse, banned.

Lockdown!

On a side note, I would love for KoTC to get on GOG. Maybe its success would speed up work on the sequel, which was due a long time ago.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Historically speaking, there have been many "artists" that created stuff that the general populace consider masterpiece/classic/etc, but the creator had only really created it to get $$$ so that they can fund their real "Magnum Opus."

And then when they finally do get around to doing that, it turns out that the product that they thought was their dream product and they were SURE everyone would love and celebrate turns out to be... just something that they themselves and perhaps a tiny cult group likes.

Needless to say, they generally really aren't happy when that happens. This sort of seems like one of those scenarios.

It's one of those intensely fascinating things about creators, the nature of art and fans expectations driving products.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dunno, shouldn't have posted a news item on this Infinitron, not worth the drama. Otoh, as they say, any publicity is better than no publicity, so perhaps it helps to remind people of KotC/KotC2.

It's not a news item, you're in the Classic RPG Forum. Maybe it should be? :cool:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I just noticed that, nvm. I thought by going "public" you meant making a newspost, which would have been kinda dumb imo.

ps: and yeah I got off easy, with only a warning. I said "nobody cares about BotS" after all, was p. mean

Mortmal

Arcane
Before bots was in development, the day it was announced, we clearly said we were not interested into a rts , its not only me , just read the old thread. There's a serious lack of new rpgs, except hiking simulators, no more blobbers, nothing like the gold box games and once a blue moon something good like conquistador, while on the side of the rts the bar is set very high . You leave a niche market to compete with star craft 2 and wargame airland, pristine almost perfect high budget games.

As for "In addition, anyone interested in seeing another game like KotC should care about BotS too, because the viability of any business depends on its sales." This is a joke right ? I say it again since they dont lock threads here , we are not interested into bots, we never were interested into it and taking kotc 2 as hostage alienating the small but loyal customer base you made with kotc is the dumbest move ever.

No you wont get more money till kotc 2, we do not negotiate with terrorists!

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is fucking hilarious, it's like when Interplay used to tell people, buy our shitty games like Brotherhood of Steel and we might have the cash to make sequels to the classics you actually love.

Of course the modern business brain these days will just keep making sequels to the shitty games if profitable. Conclusion don't risk buying BOS (what a coincidence), buy 2 copies of KOTC instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
This is fucking hilarious, it's like when Interplay used to tell people, buy our shitty games like Brotherhood of Steel and we might have the cash to make sequels to the classics you actually love.

Of course the modern business brain these days will just keep making sequels to the shitty games if profitable. Conclusion don't risk buying BOS (what a coincidence), buy 2 copies of KOTC instead.

Actually, don't buy either. Otherwise he won't be convinced to put KotC on GOG and really earn enough money for a sequel.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Pierre has a master’s degree in international economics and finance.
Worse than lìberal arts and woman studies combined, and more harmful too.
Friggin hilarious that a brainwashed Capitalism fanboy think that NOT giving the market what the market wants is a sound business strategy.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I just don't get it. So a prolific company wants to pick up his successful game leading almost certainly to more sales and recognition, and opening the door to the possibility his new game will find a bigger audience... and he says no? Because... uh? His ego? He doesn't "need" GOG, or something?

What?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
First off, VentilatorOfDoom, I would really appreciate it if you didn't come to my forum to tell me that no-one cares about one of my products (that's your warning).

Butthurt administered

I am now locking this thread.

Mission accomplished.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The worst cognitive dissonance here is him telling VoD "your opinion isn't universal" right after stating that GoG is very interested in KotC but doesn't give a shit about BotS. Doesn't that tell you something Pierre?

When it comes to BotS: gee man, I need money I need this published

When it comes to KotC: money isn't everything, I'm not about to sell out creative property

wat

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
UUUUURGH THEY ARE ASKING WHETHER HE WILL PLEASE ALLOW THEM TO MAKE HIM MONEY, PIERRE FFS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom