Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Funcom opens up videogame license of Conan and other Robert E. Howard IPs to other developers

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
There will never be a good Conan videogame. The sooner you get to grips with this concept, the less you will suffer.

Blade of Darkness is pretty close. But yeah I doubt there will ever be a great game using the name Conan, it has to much baggage.

Loostreaks

Learned
Conan Chronicles is a damn good NWN mod and best Conan "game" to date. Great ambiance and music ( every song from Paledouris perfectly fits the scene), nice mix of rpg/adventure, writing is surprisingly good, the author also managed to put some effort into c&c and mechanics ( not a brainless hack and slash, as I expected).

frank_frazetta_thebarbarian.jpg

frazetta_parody_art_challenge_by_artmageillustration-d8o50vh.jpg

Derk Derm

Literate
Going through Funcom's financial presentations is always interesting, their most recent one was just a few days ago. Turns out they've fully funded a Conan RTS, to be developed by Petroglyph (Star Wars: Empire At War, Grey Goo) and released first half of 2019.

It's at 29:20 in the video.

Edit: I'm assuming it's an RTS because Petroglyph have so far only developed RTS games.
Edit 2: Well that'll teach me to read through a thread before I start posting

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The new Conan game is a single player game (not surprising give Conan Exiles is already there), so they are looking for more funs and coms to making things: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/press...ooking_to_fill_more_than_40_new_positions.php

Funcom expands: looking to fill more than 40 new positions

Funcom, the veteran independent game developer and publisher celebrating more than 25 years in the industry this year, today announced it is looking to fill more than 40 new positions at its studios in Oslo, Norway and North Carolina, USA. A wide range of new job openings have been released on Funcom.com.

Following the success of Conan Exiles, Funcom is gearing up development of several new PC/console projects internally including a co-op multiplayer game and a new Conan single-player game. The company is looking to expand within the fields of game development, marketing, and quality assurance. Among the positions that have opened up are Producer, Senior Designer, Lead Programmer, Project Manager, QA Lead, and more.

Funcom has also expanded into publishing and will be bringing several new games to market developed by other studios. The first of these is Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden releasing on December 4th and the title has already received widespread acclaim from press after demos at E3 and GamesCom and have won multiple awards at both shows. Funcom is looking to fill several new marketing positions that will be working on both internally developed games and published games.

Direct link to Funcom Jobs page: https://www.funcom.com/join-us/

Also, according to the job postings there is "a new open-world multiplayer game that is in early concepting stage, to enter pre-production in 4Q18."

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Holy shit, their first proper single player game since 2006 and the first single player Conan since 2007 (which was more like some weird fighting game than action adventure/RPG). This could actually be good if the stars align. Congrats bylam, can you tell us anything, are you working on this? Will this be the Witcher 3 killer that Conan deserves? :roll:

...Awaiting announcement of single player MOBA/PUBGlike in Conan universe...

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
No one in the company has the necessary T levels to make a good Conan anything. REH would crush their skulls with his bare hands. Hell, I think even scrawny Lovecraft could knock any of these soy-ployees out lol

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Holy shit, tell me they are doing that on purpose. That pic needs to go viral lmao. Soy overload. I like the guy who is just yawning though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So, Funcom projects:

New Conan single-player game (Funcom Oslo)
New open-world multiplayer game (Funcom Oslo, in pre-pre-production)
Co-op shooter using Robert E. Howard IP (Funcom USA)
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (Publishing)
Possible Conan RTS by Petroglyph (Publishing)

Also ongoing updates to Conan Exiles and probably to Secret World Legends.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Fuck that picture. We were told to yell to match the new logo. At least I maintain my dignified hobo dress style.

Holy shit, their first proper single player game since 2006 and the first single player Conan since 2007 (which was more like some weird fighting game than action adventure/RPG). This could actually be good if the stars align. Congrats bylam, can you tell us anything, are you working on this? Will this be the Witcher 3 killer that Conan deserves? :roll:

...Awaiting announcement of single player MOBA/PUBGlike in Conan universe...
Am working on it. Don't have anything like a Witcher 3 budget. Not really at liberty to say anything yet, but I will say I have one goal with this - teach people Howard's Conan.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
1st row, 4th from the left, my nomination for cuckest cuck mouth

The fat guy with a grey shirt gets a prize for being too depressed to give a fuck. I admire his giving up on life.

Actually, the two guys close to him aren't smiling either. I guess that's the depression corner.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From 3Q18 financial report: http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2018/Funcom_3Q18_Report.pdf

Funcom has a strong launch pipeline with six upcoming games:
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden will launch on 4 December 2018 for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The game has had significant pick-up in social media and gaming press during 3Q18
  • Petroglyph’s Conan game to be released in 2Q19
  • Rock Pocket’s Funcom IP game to be released for the Halloween season of 2019
  • Funcom North Carolina’s cooperative online shooter
  • Funcom Oslo’s single player Conan game
  • Funcom Oslo’s open-world multiplayer game

3.4 Petroglyph and Rock Pocket projects:
  • Two additional games are externally developed to be released in 2019:
    • A game with Petroglyph utilizing the Conan the Barbarian IP, to launch on PC during 2Q 2019. More details on the game will be revealed before the end of 2018.
    • A game with Rock Pocket Games based on a Funcom IP to launch on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for the Halloween season
  • More information on the games will be made available closer to their respective launches
3.5 Future internal games:
  • Funcom North Carolina
    • A game in the “Cooperative online shooter” genre with a Premium business model using an IP from Heroic Signatures that isn’t Conan
    • The game is in full production
  • Funcom Oslo
    • A single player Conan IP game is in pre-production
    • A new open-world multiplayer game is in early concepting stage, to enter preproduction in 1Q19

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The Conan single-player game is coming next year, and, yes, you play Conan. (18:22)

Also they're talking about possibility of doing Dune RTS with Petroglyph, but nothing to say publicly about that yet. (24:47)

http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2019/Funcom_1Q19_Presentation_461294.pdf
http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2019/Funcom_1Q19_Report_254297.pdf

2Rr7t9T.jpg

Key factors of the outlook
o The continued sales of Conan Exiles and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden including upcoming DLCs and additional stores and platforms support
o Launch of Conan Unconquered on 30 May 2019 on PC
o Launch of Moons of Madness in the Halloween season of 2019 on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4
o Launch of Funcom North Carolina’s Shooter game and Funcom Oslo’s Conan single player game in 2020
o Development and launch of 3 or more games in six years based on the DUNE IP

Beastro

Arcane
1st row, 4th from the left, my nomination for cuckest cuck mouth

The fat guy with a grey shirt gets a prize for being too depressed to give a fuck. I admire his giving up on life.

Actually, the two guys close to him aren't smiling either. I guess that's the depression corner.

Put him in a white beater and it's like Bill Dauterive crossed into our reality.

serveimage

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
but I will say I have one goal with this - teach people Howard's Conan.

Then I guess bylam is not working on that Conan game:

ss_d50029a898ef75b4010cade84ab8b67513766fab.600x338.jpg

Also Funcom is about to get bought by Tencent:

Tencent bids to acquire 100% of Funcom
Proposed deal would value the Norwegian studio at around $148 million

Tencent has launched a bid to acquire all shares in Funcom, in a deal that values the Norwegian online developer at around $148 million.

The Chinese firm is already the single largest shareholder in Funcom, following the acquisition of 29% of its stock in September last year. However, Tencent now wishes to acquire all remaining shares -- a prospect that has been welcomed by Funcom's management team.

"We have had a great relationship with Tencent as our largest shareholder so far and we are excited about this opportunity," said Funcom CEO Rui Casais in a statement. "Tencent will provide Funcom with operational leverage and insights from its vast knowledge as the leading company in the game space."

"Tencent will provide Funcom with operational leverage and insights from its vast knowledge as the leading company in the game space"

Funcom

Tencent is offering NOK 17 per share, which is 27.3% higher than the price at the close of trading on January 21, 2020. The offer values Funcom at NOK 1.33 billion ($148 million).

Remaining shareholders are free to reject Tencent's advances, but Funcom's management and supervisory board has issued a statement recommending that they accept during the offer period. The process is expected to start in February.

"We are impressed by Funcom's strengths as a developer of open-world multiplayer, action and survival games," said Steven Ma, senior vice president of Tencent, in a statement. "Funcom has a strong track-record in developing new titles with long life-span."

In addition to operating its hit survival title Conan Exiles, Funcom is currently working on an adaptation of the classic science-fiction novel, Dune. The game has been in production for two years, and the company's management believes that "the scope and ambition level for the Dune game should be larger than Conan Exiles to allow the game the best possible chance of maximizing its very large potential."

A statement from Funcom also suggested that "additional financing" is desirable for Dune, and that the full acquisition of the company by Tencent would allow that to happen.

While the deal is not final, Funcom's investors certainly have an incentive to sell at the price Tencent is offering. A decade ago, the company was mired in losses, redundancies and financial problems, a turbulent period that only truly finished with the success of Conan Exiles.

Curratum

Then I guess bylam is not working on that Conan game:
The single-player game I was working on got "put on hold" in summer 2019.

It was the best thing I have ever worked on and the team echoed that sentiment but "we make multiplayer games". Sigh. FML.

This is the most depressing thing I've read in 2020 and Terry Jones passed away yesterday. :(

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The single-player game I was working on got "put on hold" in summer 2019.

It was the best thing I have ever worked on and the team echoed that sentiment but "we make multiplayer games". Sigh. FML.

Mutant, Moons of Madness, The Park? Do the company owners even know what games are in their own portfolio anymore?

For fucks sake. I still fire up AoC occasionally just to roam around in the world. It's testament to the artists that those assets still look pretty good 12(?!?) years later. The atmosphere is still there, it really is.

I'm sorry to say this but it's about time the Conan license was taken from Funcom, the company is making a mockery of it as this point. That Unconquered game was the final straw for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom