Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[FUNDED] GCW Zero handheld emulation machine Kickstarter

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Keep in mind you're comparing x86 to MIPS as well. MIPS is much slower than x86.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I was running Dosbox without issues on a Nokia N900 which has a 600 MHz CPU, playing stuff like Dark Sun and The Dig.
It may work for old games. With high-end Dos games like Daggerfall and X-Com: Apocalypse, even a 2000-2400MHz CPU isn't enough, though. I already tried it on two computers with different processor manufacturer and operation systems.

cutterjohn

Cipher
I was running Dosbox without issues on a Nokia N900 which has a 600 MHz CPU, playing stuff like Dark Sun and The Dig.
It may work for old games. With high-end Dos games like Daggerfall and X-Com: Apocalypse, even a 2000-2400MHz CPU isn't enough, though. I already tried it on two computers with different processor manufacturer and operation systems.
486DX2 66MHz, 8MB RAM, 50MB hard drive space, and a local bus or better video card

...or the Daggerdall reqs, so I can only guess that you're running DOSBOX on a totally f'ed up system...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
486DX2 66MHz, 8MB RAM, 50MB hard drive space, and a local bus or better video card

...or the Daggerdall reqs, so I can only guess that you're running DOSBOX on a totally f'ed up system...
On a very old old system. Celeron 2,4Ghz with Linux Mint LXDE. Before that I was running it on Athlon 2,0Ghz Windows 98 (both are 1 core) and had the same performance issues which I didn't have with older games like Syndicate, X-Com1, Darklands, etc.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Best thing I found for emulation so far is a hacked PSP 2000. Can emulate a lot of shit and plays PS1 games... natively sort of. There's also a N64 emulator which apparently runs some games reasonably well but I never cared about that really. I use it for NES and NEOGEO stuff, mostly.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This guy is running Daggerfall on a HTC Desire (specs similar to the Xperia Play) and it does look kind of sluggish:

Turn off the volume and skip to the 9 minute mark for gameplay.

cutterjohn

Cipher
https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxturbo/performance

This guy is claiming he can get 486 @40mhz performance out of a generic ARM CPU at 1ghz with his build of dosbox. MIPS is a slower than ARM, but not by much. So emulating a 486 33mhz is probably doable.
I'm not really sure about that one(MIPS v. ARM) as I've never really seen any benches. Remember back in the day ARM was virtually non-existent while MIPS was in all of the best workstations/servers(SGI).

But I have a selection of ARM9 - cortex-a9 ARM devices and can probably cobble together at least a basic CPU bench eventually.

OTOH it'll really all be about dynamic recompilation as in, is it there? how good is it? etc.

On psx, I see that ps2psxe (ps2 native psx emu) got a public release last year, and looks pretty good on the compatibility listings. So given c. 300MHz MIPSIII/IV(kinda) CPU v. 1GHz MIPS2 using dynarec + GPU should get to almost perfect psx emu assuming someone does it.

(The old psx demo that I saw apparently ran under some other OS and was provided(I'm guessing) by Ingenic(no source) based on an update to the video comment mentioning provided by Chinese, no source [EDIT] Big fscking surprise with those malleable ethics... [/EDIT])

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom